SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
Rockstarvue
Rockstarvue will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Which Denso replacement alternator for 2006 3.5 Vue

It seems when reading on the forum that there is a consensus to use a Denso remanufactured replacement alternator as there are issues with some other units. Issues seem to range from cold start problems, to intermittent dash light issues, and other electrical quirks.

I found two different model numbers that seem to be listed as applicable for the vehicle. Curious which one is right, or if either will work.

Denso 210-0546
Denso W0133-1829765

Only difference I've been able to find is the first one is 105 amps, and the second is 110 amps. Both seem to have reviews that are positive and say they are the "correct alternator for the 3.5 vue".

There are also AC Delco remanufactured units (3342598), which have some good reviews, but are 125 amps, and don't seem to be mentioned on the forum here much.

Prices vary a bit, but it isn't much of a concern for me. Just trying to do this once. Doesn't seem like too much of a hassle, but I'd hate to do it twice.

Beatrice 2005 3.5 Vue 61k - 176k R.I.P. You were taken too young in that accident
Estelle 2006 3.5 Vue 82k - ___

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rockstarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rockstarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rockstarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Which Denso replacement alternator for 2006 3.5 Vue

Went with AC Delco.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Rockstarvue

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the reply Atikovi.

I'm assuming acdelco would be good, at least it should be OEM specs, but you're the first I've heard of installing one on the forum. How long have you had it in for? I'm assuming its working alright so far?

I was surprised when I pulled mine that it was labeled denso and not acdelco. I figured they would at least relabel it on the car even if it was made by denso.

I ended up ordering the Denso that was listed at 105 amps on partsgeek since needed to get my car going, and it arrived very quickly which I was happy about.

Unfortunately though when I got it in the mail, it ended up being a 110 amp one and had the same part number on the box as the 110 amp one that was listed on rockauto but for quite a bit higher price (190 vs 125). So I quickly ordered the one from rockauto and am sending the overpriced one back to partsgeek.

Its pretty frustrating because there are multiple reviews that state it is 105 amps, and that it is the "correct" one for the vehicle.

So for anyone else who ends up with the same question I had, hopefully they'll find this and at least know which denso to get if they decide to go that way. There doesn't seem to be an actual 105 amp denso. Not sure if there ever was, or it was just changed to the current model and amperage and the partsgeek website hasn't been updated.

Beatrice 2005 3.5 Vue 61k - 176k R.I.P. You were taken too young in that accident

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rockstarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I replaced mine just prior to selling so no idea how it's doing. Partsgeek is worst online parts seller there is. Good luck getting a refund in reasonable time. Hope you paid with a credit card. Any positive reviews you may read are likely fake. Here are some legit ones: https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/partsgeek.com and the BBB: https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/marlton/pr...418/complaints

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rockstarvue, what does your owner's manual list for alternator specs? Service manual specs for '04/'05 Vues with the same 3.5L engine lists Valeo SG12@125 amps. Presuming the same Honda engine is used in yours would imply a similar alternator spec for any brand. If you choose a 105 amp alternator when 125 amps is the stock rating, you might be choosing a lower rated alternator than desired.

Denso seems to be the alternator of choice if you search past threads about alternator issues with Vues. As to relabeling, I think there's a law against rebranding. Something to do with false representation with unscrupulous third party manufacturers masquerading as name brand companies. If any manufacturer has integrity and stands behind their products, they aren't going to use a brand name stuck on their product to have brand appeal. With outsourcing long ago established to reduce costs, auto manufacturers rely on foreign made parts under quality control to use as part of new vehicle manufacturing. There are many foreign made parts of equal quality to USA made products but at much lower costs. These costs are passed on to consumers as competitive prices for new vehicles.

Last edited by fdryer; 07-28-2019 at 10:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
Rockstarvue

2006 VUE 3.5L

Atikovi:

Good to know. Did use a CC through paypal, so I've got two ways to deal with getting my money if there is an issue. They sent me an RMA for the return, and it didn't seem like a hassle so far, but I once had a problem with tasca auto parts as well and they tried to stiff me but my CC company took care of it. Hopefully it goes smooth.

fdryer:

I ended up ordering the Denso 110 amp, as when I ordered the 105 it ended up being the 110 model anyways, so there is some sort of misprint on the website, or they stopped making the 105.

The unit I pulled out was a Denso, and was stock. What I saw in other forums was that people had issues on the 06/07 using anything other then Denso. Some people blamed amperage, others said the re-manufactured ones used bad voltage regulators and that Denso brand seemed to be the only one using the correct ones. far2grumpy mentioned it on a few posts back in the day, apparnetly the car will refuse to start in sub 40 degree weather. Maybe the remanufacturer's have fixed the voltage regulator issue, but I didn't want to chance it.

I just skimmed through the manual on my 06 and don't see anything in the specs about the alternator amperage or anything specific to the charging system (no battery size, etc...).

I can't find any other Denso other than the 110amp for the vehicle (asides from the mislabeled 105amp)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a reprint for the '05 Vue fwd/awd alternator specs. You can ask far2grumpy (via pm) for '06 specs to be sure unless a Vue member knows and replies.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (44.7 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I also installed a AC/Delco. That was 4 years ago and probably 50K miles. Knock on wood its been perfect. Bought on amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Went with AC Delco.

It should work better after you install the belt.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
atikovi
Advanced Member

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
Rockstarvue

2006 VUE 3.5L

I ended up putting in the 110 amp Denso since I already ordered it and needed to get back on the road. Put on 200 miles so far with no issue.

Luckily the job is pretty straight forward especially after swapping out a timing belt twice in the past. If I end up having made the wrong choice I can order up an ACdelco and swap it in. I will definitely post whether I have issues for any future person who needs to do the swap.

From what I understand the vehicle will only pull as many amps as it needs, and I don't have any accessories beyond stock that would require any more amperage so hopefully the draw is less the 110. I'm assuming all cars are overrated to some degree to give buffer for any optional add-ons.

I messaged Far2grumpy today to get his opinion on the matter as well, and will post if he doesn't directly post to the thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #12
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

DENSO 2100546 (Remanufactured) for 3.5 Honda VUE,

ACDELCO 15789921 (New) or ACDELCO 3341468A (Remanufactured) for 2.2 Ecotec VUE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote