SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
JPaganel
JPaganel is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default 2007 Vue 2.2L hard starting

So, my original thread here ended with a bit of a win. It starts. Since the hard starting is a separate problem, I figured, I'd start a new thread.

The symptoms are as follows:

Upon first turning of the key, it will catch, then stall.
If I turn the key on and off a bunch of times, it will start for longer.
Try that enough, it will start and run. It runs well, will drive normally, no issues of any kind.

I put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail. Pressure at first key on is 45 psi. Pressure after a few key on/key off cycles will build to about 55 or so.

Pressure when it's running stays a solid and steady 60 psi.

My theories revolve around the fact that the car sat a year, and gas may have gone bad. Also, the filter may not be up to snuff at this point. Or, the old gas did something bad to the fuel pump. (I hope not)

Check Engine Light is lit, but I haven't checked codes yet, can't remember where I put my scanner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPaganel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPaganel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPaganel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Vue 2.2L hard starting

Early Vues buried their fuel filters in the gas tank, making them permanent. I presume a larger filter is used. If your Vue has an external fuel filter and have 100k miles or more, its cheap insurance to replace it. Whether it helps or not with this problem is anyone's guess.

Get the codes read, Google them and post the codes. You can always try fuel cleaner mixed in with old fuel. If you're lucky, maybe water was absorbed so a container of dry fuel (for winter use when water in fuel sometimes creates hard starting) can help mix water with fuel. Last resort would be pumping out old fuel. The best method to do this would be disconnecting the fuel line near the tank feed to the engine and place the line into a gas container, removing the fuel pump relay, locate the pinout labeling on the relay and use the info to insert a small wire jumper across relay socket terminals 30 and 87, immediately sending 12v to power up the fuel pump. If you choose to do this, be aware of flammable/ explosive fumes with plenty of ventilation, using a fan if necessary to move fumes away. This temporary manual method to power the fuel pump does not need the ignition switch turned on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
JPaganel

2007 VUE 2.2L

Ran down to the local OReillys and got the codes read. There was a bunch of stuff, cleared it all out.

The only one that came back was P0340, "camshaft position sensor".

A quick search showed me that there actually is no CPS, but that this can be thrown by the ignition system.

I replaced both the ignition module and the coil pack in the course of trying to fix this. Perhaps this is related. I'm thinking I will try and put in the originals, see if it clears up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JPaganel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
JPaganel

2007 VUE 2.2L

Well, that made no difference.

I think I mucked up the new starter from all the cranking, though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!