SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
kharrisma10
kharrisma10 is on a distinguished road

Default Dragging Passenger Caliper?

Hi Forum Folke!

A friend and I are working together on his 2007Saturn Vue 2.2L; he's not so computer-literate, so I'm handing this end of it for him. He's already rebuilt the caliper once, then replaced it altogether when that didn't solve the issue. The caliper still drags (and eventually will lock up completely if he persists in driving anyway.)

I've searched this (and other) forums for his problem, but everything I've been able to scare up has been strictly both calipers dragging; on his car, it's only the passenger caliper that drags. As with the other posts with this issue, the rotor heats up within a few miles and is far too hot to touch without getting burned. No sign at all of this problem with the driver's side caliper.

I've seen multiple references to the wheel (flexible) hose deteriorating/failing internally and behaving like a check valve, trapping pressure at the caliper so the piston/pad can't retract that thousandth or so to clear the rotor. He should be putting in that hose today, and I'll post feedback if that clears up his problem.

He's wondering about some of the other components in the system, though. There are check valve(s?) in the brake lines up near (or in?) the master cylinder, and there's a proportioning valve to balance the application of pressure to the front calipers and the rear drums so they all apply at the same time (I gather there's some delay in the rear drums applying due to inherent design differences, linkages, etc.) In every case, though, any component he/we can come up with would affect both calipers equally; the only part I can see that would affect only the one wheel would be the flexible hose, or possibly the rigid steel tubing picked up a dent bad enough to restrict the fluid flow on the retract side of the cycle (pedal pressure overcomes the restriction easily, but is adequate to interfere with fluid return from the 'rebound' of the caliper seals which cause the piston to retract that tiny little bit.)

I should probably mention that we're both professional mechanics of some decades' experience... but that experience is in heavy construction equipment and electric forklifts; much is directly applicable to cars, but much is not. They're entirely different critters. Just mentioning this so you have an idea of the level of experience we're bringing to this problem. Mechanics? Yes. Auto mechanics? Welll…. no, not so much.

So at this point, I'm just fishing around for any ideas other than what we've come up with that we might look into... multiple heads are better than one, even when one of those heads is mine!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kharrisma10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kharrisma10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kharrisma10 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Dragging Passenger Caliper?

Change the hose and see what happens. The brake hoses on the Vues are notorious for getting restricted like that. One way to tell is to crack loose the bleeder screw and see if the brake fluid shoots out quickly, if it does probably the hose is restricted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Change all four hoses, If one is bad, the others aren't far behind..

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

kharrisma10, read this thread; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193692. The front brake flex hoses are most likely strangling fluid flow, acting as a check valve. The brake hose bracket rusts and strangles the hose (see pics in the link). Replace both front hoses or spread the rusted bracket clamps.

Saturn Vues do not use brake check valves anywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

You could drive it again until the caliper starts sticking. Then crack open the bleeder screw and see if that frees it up. If so, it's probably the hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
conemark
conemark is on a distinguished road

Another vote for the flexible hoses being the culprit. I took the approach of "if one's bad, do 'em all".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to conemark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help conemark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...If you plan on keeping the vehicle til it dies, I would recommend Russell steel braided brake lines , they give you a much better solid pedal /brake feel , just my .02, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote