SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
ddb
ddb is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Down Bad & sad News- Crankshaft Sensor error misfire etc..

Hi,
I was outside of the country, my car was in long term car storage. I cranked it after a while when returned and a series of errors came up, most notably
P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor B

so i popped the hood and:

checked the wiring grounds on camshaft sensors - OK
replaced camshaft sensor bank 1 sensor B ( the one behind steering fluid container) - OK
checked coils and spark plugs & checked fuel injectors - OK

The car is rattling quite a lot at 3-4K rpm and throws traction errors and misfire in cyl 3 here and there, fuel economy is down and there is bit of a stall when i step on throttle..

and i know ... If is timing chain.. the car is unfix-able unfortunately. no one wants to replace chains below $2k and i have no means to lift the engine myself..

my last hope: I order crankshaft sensor, changed oil will check wiring on all sensors and coils.. i am not sure if i should do it myself because I dont have the tool and dont know how relearn CKP sensor timing after replacement?

Right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
ddb

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Bad & sad News- Crankshaft Sensor error misfire etc..

i read the the manual on ckp replacement here.. so far i found only one ckp- the one behind the exhaust pipes. error indicates there are two.. still trying to find the second one..

maybe the error simply means bad correlation between the only CKP and camshaft sensor bank 1 B ( the one behind the steering fluid container)?

the funny part: after changing the camshaft sensor i couldn't find a street in LA anddrive more than 30M/hr to relearn cam/crank synch. I have to wait until tonight 10pm or so to to drive for 30min at 60MPH....

Last edited by ddb; 06-05-2019 at 08:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
ddb

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Hi,
I was outside of the country, my car was in long term car storage. I cranked it after a while when returned and a series of errors came up, most notably
P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor B

so i popped the hood and:

checked the wiring grounds on camshaft sensors - OK
replaced camshaft sensor bank 1 sensor B ( the one behind steering fluid container) - OK
checked coils and spark plugs & checked fuel injectors - OK

The car is rattling quite a lot at 3-4K rpm and throws traction errors and misfire in cyl 3 here and there, fuel economy is down and there is bit of a stall when i step on throttle..

and i know ... If is timing chain.. the car is unfix-able unfortunately. no one wants to replace chains below $2k and i have no means to lift the engine myself..

my last hope: I order crankshaft sensor, changed oil will check wiring on all sensors and coils.. i am not sure if i should do it myself because I dont have the tool and dont know how relearn CKP sensor timing after replacement?

Right?
btw.. i also ordered the actuator solenoid.. will arrive this weekend if that wont fix it ill have to dump my beloved car.. funeral will be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm curious about an outcome. The most accurate info comes from online services like Alldata or Mitchell, providing online service manuals at low cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

You might find some useful info here:
https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/bw...ode-p0300.html

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
ddb

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
You might find some useful info here:
https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/bw...ode-p0300.html
I finally got time to look into it. I ordered the CKP crankshaft sensor, and I just cant find it. It should be next to the starter but it is not there. I think that's a kick sensor, located next to the starter. According to the engine map it should be behind the exhaust next to the heat-block and I looked behind the oil pan and i just cant locate it.. crazy, should be the easiest thing to replace.

Last edited by ddb; 06-26-2019 at 05:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddb's Reputation
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Which engine? 3.5L or 3.5L?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Aura 3.5L engine.gif (41.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: gif Aura 3.6L engine.gif (63.2 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

FWIW, according to GM online parts catalogs a 2007 Aura XR has a 3.6L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
I finally got time to look into it. I ordered the CKP crankshaft sensor, and I just cant find it. It should be next to the starter but it is not there. I think that's a kick sensor, located next to the starter. According to the engine map it should be behind the exhaust next to the heat-block and I looked behind the oil pan and i just cant locate it.. crazy, should be the easiest thing to replace.
If your engine is a 3.6L then it has to be on the "firewall" side of the engine somewhat near the exhaust manifold. Hopefully, it's not covered by the pipe attached to it.

313,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 06-26-2019 at 10:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Which engine? 3.5L or 3.5L?
Fat fingers - I meant typing 3.5L or 3.6L. I did an initial check for engine size but a source for both engine drawings were available so I threw them together here. I find it amazing how a little imagination helps to find good info.

When the time is just right, someone might leak out the actual recipe (in kilograms, pounds or kumquats) for a nuclear bomb. Even interest some years ago in how homemade methamphetamine was made, aka hillbilly meth or cooking pot into oils (tar?) turned up vast amounts of online info but never the exact ratios. In one way, preventing this info from general online media is good against budding curiosity in young minds. Mine is just plain curiosity and fascination with chemistry in practical applications. Zero interest in consumption, manufacturing or distribution since each mode is either dangerous to one's health, illegal, toxic and explosive when ignoring flammable solvents cooking in a closed non ventilated environment (videos showing very ignorant cooks boiling flammable solvents in homes or apartments). Even Asians are traced back to early use of pot long before the '60's generation identified with it in America; https://www.history.com/topics/crime...y-of-marijuana. Who knew?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Fat fingers - I meant typing 3.5L or 3.6L.
Ya know, freddy, I've got enough typos of my own in this website that I certainly can't fault anyone for errors. Heck, even after what I consider long editing checks and believing all to have been corrected I will still find something that I've done wrong after the editing time limit is over!

Quote:
I did an initial check for engine size but a source for both engine drawings were available so I threw them together here. I find it amazing how a little imagination helps to find good info.
You've got to be one of the most generous members at SaturnFans with the amount of information you've added from outside sources and it's a great benefit to us all.

313,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote