SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
sagacious
sagacious is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue 3.5L V6 - Cat converter replacement - anyone done it yet?

Hello,

I've got a bad bank 1 catalytic converter that is more than likely clogged. getting a P0420 code and a noticeable loss of power. I've used the "Blue Driver" OBD II scanner to show me the live data coming from the upstream and downstream O2 sensors. All my O2 sensors show they are switching...it's just that the downstream o2 sensor on bank 1 is showing very poor performance from the cat.

My question is - how hard is it to replace these "manifold cat converters"? I'm guessing the Bank 1 converter is the one up front facing the radiator? if so, I'm wondering how easy or hard these are to replace...

anyone found a video, or pictures or have a good description of what they did? do the electric fans need to come out to access it? did anything else need to be taken off to get to it?

it *looks* like i might be able to access most of the bolts/nuts from up top under the hood with a short socket and wrench and any other bolts by crawling underneath the car. however, I'm not very confident on that since I haven't seen any posts from anyone actually replacing it. Could someone shed some light on this? I've got a full time job and 3 kids, so I really need to make sure what I'm getting into before I tackle it. I'm not a newb to car repairs but I just need to be certain about how much time replacing this Bank 1 converter is going to take me... Please help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sagacious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sagacious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sagacious is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2004 Vue 3.5L V6 - Cat converter replacement - anyone done it yet?

They are not that bad , depends on the original bolts /nuts coming apart decently, get new gaskets ,upper /lower ,while you are changing it out ,spray everything down to help with the rust. let it soak, with the lower pipe out of the way its not bad, hope that helps, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
sagacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue6 View Post
They are not that bad , depends on the original bolts /nuts coming apart decently, get new gaskets ,upper /lower ,while you are changing it out ,spray everything down to help with the rust. let it soak, with the lower pipe out of the way its not bad, hope that helps, DC.
Thanks, so I shouldn't need to remove anything else in order to remove the cat towards the front of the car?

also..just to double check, the cat towards the front of the car IS the Bank 1 cat....right??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sagacious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you try some of the free online clinics like repairpal? Sometimes AutoZone provides free service manual procedures so it's worth the time to search. The best diy service will cost a subscription to alldata or Mitchell for online access to electronic service manuals equivalent to GM manuals. One member here in the Vue forums will provide service manual extracts thru private messaging. Search for him - his signature reveals how to contact him.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

changing 1 cat on a 14yr old exhaust might lead into a more involved parts swap. such as the 2nd cat which is the y-pipe assy. or not. front cat is 200 and rear cat is 350 for the 3.0. i think the 3.5 is similar. than the res pipe is another 100 and muff and now you are at 600-700. i bought a vue last yr with a 100% new exhaust. never seen that before. almost felt bad selling it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
sagacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
changing 1 cat on a 14yr old exhaust might lead into a more involved parts swap. such as the 2nd cat which is the y-pipe assy. or not. front cat is 200 and rear cat is 350 for the 3.0. i think the 3.5 is similar. than the res pipe is another 100 and muff and now you are at 600-700. i bought a vue last yr with a 100% new exhaust. never seen that before. almost felt bad selling it
the 3.5 is a J series Honda motor...totally different than the crappy 3.0L. My 3.5L has "manifold converters" basically, the catalytic converters "ARE" the exhaust manifolds...they bolt directly on the engine. lowest price i've gotten for just changing ONE of the catalytic converters was $700 + tax. That was out of 6 places I called to get quotes from.

I just found out that Bank 1 is the one nearest the firewall. I'm wondering how much of a job it'll be to get that one out. Anyone here done it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Vue6

2006 VUE Red Line

...Check e bay for prices, some aren't bad ,walkers are 238 , some from Canada ,all stainless, lots to choose from ,and have the gaskets with them, some have a 5 year warranty, hope that helps, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
sagacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue6 View Post
...Check e bay for prices, some aren't bad ,walkers are 238 , some from Canada ,all stainless, lots to choose from ,and have the gaskets with them, some have a 5 year warranty, hope that helps, DC.
Thanks, I can find cat converters for a good price - that's not the issue.

All I want to know is, how hard is it to remove the Bank 1 catalytic converter, which is near the firewall? Can it be removed easily? What's involved? aside from rusty bolts...I'll deal with that...rusty old bolts are a given.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Vue6

2006 VUE Red Line

...I believe there is a small brace that bolts up to the manifold also.Been a while, Just the bolts , y pipe , and o2 sensor, once the y pipe is out it should be ok to get to , I have bigger arms and hands , it was a bit tight for me, hope that helps, I might have forgotten something but that is the main part, again , been a while, DC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation