SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE
Default 2008 Aura XE front strut issues

Last week started hearing a strange tinging sound in the front end.
Turned out that the spring was turning on seized up strut bearings. Pressure would build in the spring until it would jump. The video was taken after I oiled up the strut bearing so you can't see the spring jumping but can see the bearing jerking after spring pressure builds. The struts were not leaking. The rubber isolator came away from the spring as it slipped which cause it to start making noises.
I installed Munroe Quick Struts. They happened to be on sale for half off. The new struts were easy to install and made the car feel like a new one. All the creaks, squeaks and rattles are gone. The installation did not affect alignment. The strut to steering knuckle bolts have splines. Do not try to turn them, they need to be driven out. A jack under the control arm helps to get things apart and line things back up when reassembling.
If you want to have camber adjustment you need to buy camber bolts.
A word of caution if you install struts yourself...The strut tower to strut nuts do not need to be very tight. I used a torque wrench set to the prescribed 25 foot pounds and one of the 6 studs snapped off. Must have been a weak stud. If I was going to do it again, I'd set the torque wrench to 20 foot pounds. I took one from the old struts but had to take the strut back out to put it in.
The Stabilizer link to strut nut torques to 75 foot pounds and the strut to steering knuckle nuts to 89 foot pounds.
https://youtu.be/vtYe8p2vZAM

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR
Default Re: 2008 Aura XE front strut issues

Thanks for the info on the quick struts and the replacement work. Think I've reached the point were I would prefer quick struts versus wrestling with a spring compressor. How many miles on your car? I still have the original struts at about 105k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 2008 Aura XE front strut issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano92sl View Post
Thanks for the info on the quick struts and the replacement work. Think I've reached the point were I would prefer quick struts versus wrestling with a spring compressor. How many miles on your car? I still have the original struts at about 105k.
I like the quick struts. There is always a danger when compressing springs. I likely could have gotten away with just changing the strut mounts. But the difference in the ride was worth the complete change out. There are many brands out there. I lucked out the Munroe's they were on 2 for 1 sale right when I needed them. After I bought them I found out that Munroe had a mail in rebate, 2 struts and 2 shocks gets you a $75 prepaid MasterCard. so I bought a pair of rear shocks. It's like getting the shocks free.
My Aura has 223k km 140k miles on it.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote