SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
dominik78
dominik78 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Aura XR - Worth replacing Transmission?

Hello Saturn Fans,
I bought the 2007 Aura XR new and have enjoyed having the car. While the outside has a lot of dents and dings that mostly other people put into it, most of the interior almost looks brand new still. I've done all the services and often let myself be upsold to various items that supposedly help with the longevity of the car. In short, I've taken quite good care of it. The car now has 130k miles on it.

Sadly the transmission stopped working recently and the shop is saying it seems to be an internal problem. Replacing the transmission will run me anywhere from 2500 to 4400 depending on how much of a risk I want to take with used or how much of a warranty I want to get and if the new transmission will need programming.

I wanted to put some feelers out there as to what the community thinks I should do. Are the odds good that the car would last me another 50k miles if I get the transmission replaced, or should I think moving on? Thanks!
Edit: And if I did get the transmission replaced, I would probably go with a rebuild option that gives me the longest warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dominik78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dominik78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dominik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Aura XR - Worth replacing Transmission?

No expert on xmissions but a lot of anecdotal evidence in general about electronically controlled xmissions seems to point to the valve bodies failing in several ways while the main moving parts (mechanical/hydraulic) remains reliable. The way all xmission repairs go is once a xmission is diagnosed as the problem, most repair shops insist on replacing it (swapping in a used or rebuilt unit). A xmission that's replaced is labor intensive to begin with so removing it usually comes with a new, used or rebuilt unit to keep down time to a minimum as the time used is removing and replacing it. Any bench repairs are done at their leisure (your xmission) with you driving away a day or three later. Bench repairs are labor intensive too with determining whether to overhaul the entire unit or replacing wear items, valve body parts. The electronically controlled valve bodies are electric solenoids controlling valves to hydraulic pressures that shift gears. Some solenoids are not simply powered on and off. Some are pulsed to vary valve opening position to control hydraulic pressures. This makes electronically controlled xmissions as complicated as EFI systems.

Error codes are generated with most readers sometimes unable to decode them - xmission issues aren't emissions related where the majority of error codes are about engine emissions issues. Autozone may have readers to decode xmission codes but you'd have to call to check. GM and repair shops with expensive readers can read all codes (emissions, bcm, ecm, pcm, tcm, abs/tc/esc, airbag and OnStar codes.

My guess is this isn't a real xmission failure as much as it may be related to either wiring or valve body issues that are more easily repairable than replacing a damaged gear or clutch pack. Some valve bodies are accessible but still require moving suspension parts off or aside while others may require xmission removal. Not a diyer friendly repair. To make an informed opinion, Alldata or Mitchell online can give you service manual info.

The wave plate issue would be in service bulletins with Alldata or Mitchell services.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-25-2019 at 03:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2009 AURA XR
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Those transmissions have a recall situation. Yours qualifies if you lost two specific gears. If you had that happen, gm will replace it for free.
Google wave plate failure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
dominik78
dominik78 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I can see how troubleshooting a transmission could be quite involved and complex and there's no easy way to fully diagnose all potential issues without spending a lot of time.

I googled the wave plate recall, but I'm well past the 10year/120k miles (11 years/133k miles). It was good of GM to do that, and in this case it's too bad my transmission didn't fail sooner.

I'm leaning towards getting the transmission repaired. I just hope the rest of the car lasts long enough to have made this expensive repair worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dominik78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dominik78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dominik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There is no magic to programming electronically controlled xmissions. The program occurs with a few presses on a keyboard to find the menu item in software, connect to the car OBD II port and let the computer do the rest to update and setup a replacement xmission to existing electronic modules. Ecm, bcm, tcm, airbag module, abs/tc/esc and OnStar are accessed via the OBD II port. Each are modules, mini computers to handle their a purpose. All done with GMs scantool. Whether a program is needed is just a way to add more mystique to repairs and to pad a bill that may not be needed. Service manuals spell it out in details. If this xmission does have wave failure, replacing it shouldn't more than the cost of a rebuilt or used xmission in good condition and labor hours to remove and replace one. Call around after you determine if its wave plate failure. Search threads within these forums as Auras aren't the only model to use a six speed(?) auto. Other GM models may use this xmission and other forums may have info about what fails. The more you know.........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote