SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
traineryt
traineryt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Is my CV Axle going bad?

Just when I thought my Aura was behaving perfectly

I've recently been having an issue with what I believe to be my steering. It started as some extra loud thuds when I hit bumps, and then this grinding sound that would happen every once and awhile which usually cut out after hitting a bump, almost like something was being bumped back into place.

Last Monday is where things started getting weird. I was driving down the road and made a right turn when I heard this loud grinding sound from the front right side. It didn't do anything besides scaring the crap out of me, but It's been happening more. It typically happens when I make a sharp turn (like turning at an intersection.)

However, I took the car on a test drive earlier today, and it did it again, this time while turning left. I have video of the sound but I'm not able to post the link, so I'll try my best to describe it. When I turn in it seems like at a certain point something is grinding or rubbing since it let's out a fairly loud grinding sound for about half of a second. It's also been accompanied by a rubbing sound from the same area while I'm speeding up, but after a while, it goes away.

I want to get to the bottom of this quick since I have no idea if it's dangerous or not. For all I know, it could just be the symptoms of an old car, but it's hard for me to make that assumption. It seems like somethings wrong.

I've researched about the sound and some sites are saying it could be the CV Axle is going bad. This car has 148,000 miles so it makes sense to me.

Any help would be appreciated since I'm trying to make this car last as long as I can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to traineryt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help traineryt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
traineryt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Is my CV Axle going bad?

Rather than guess with zero information insofar as not physically inspecting the front end and posting details, it may be wiser to have it inspected immediately from either dealer or repair shop. Either have this car towed or carefully drive it to the closest shop nearby. Your brief descriptions seems to indicate a dangerous development that may result in an unimaginable situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
traineryt

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Rather than guess with zero information insofar as not physically inspecting the front end and posting details, it may be wiser to have it inspected immediately from either dealer or repair shop. Either have this car towed or carefully drive it to the closest shop nearby. Your brief descriptions seem to indicate a dangerous development that may result in an unimaginable situation.
I plan on taking it somewhere very soon just to get a diagnosis of what's going on. I just fear paying an excessive amount of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help traineryt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
traineryt

2007 AURA XE

UPDATE: I took a look under the car and found this. There's a pretty noticeable amount of rust on the right side, but I'm not sure if it's a worry or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some garages will put your car up on a lift for a general inspection similar to state safety inspection and either charge a small fee and warn you of any safety issues that may not pass the next state inspection or not charge a fee at all. You have more to lose if you assume everything is ok and continue to drive with a noticeable noise problem from the front end. You assume all risks of catastrophic steering or suspension failure while driving and any injury to yourself, other vehicles or structures if your car suddenly becomes uncontrollable. Worse case scenario. Best case scenario is finding out what's worn, damaged, broken before continuing normal driving. You are not required to pay for any services if it wasn't negotiated before repairs are begun. All you're trying to do at this point is to have someone more experienced inspect your car for the source of the noise. This can open a can of worms if you're prepared.

Ask only for an inspection based on your descriptions, front or rear, nothing more and their assessment. Honest repair shops will ask some questions then either ask to drive the car and/or put it up on a lift for inspection. Without driving it, this shouldn't take more than 30 minutes by competent mechanics. This may be as simple as severely worn brakes needing service. Unscrupulous repair shops can prey on unsuspecting drivers by stating something dangerous and point to the damage/broken part or deflect the conversation with something like "we'll need more time..." to have you go home to call you and tell you the bad news whether truthful or not. You can always take the car as is and drive off to seek a second and third opinion until you're satisfied with diagnosis and repair costs. If you do receive an expert diagnosis and pointed to what's damaged, worn or broken, you can always post your report here for help before going ahead with repairs. While no one here is a paid Saturn mechanic or technician, less than a handful are former Saturn dealer service techs willing to provide advice. The majority here are diyers, myself included, willing to share experiences, help and suggestions on how to maintain our vehicles.

I looked at the image before reading your last reply and saw the same rust - the tie rod ball joint is severely rusted when its supposed to be free of rust. The ball joint allows angular movement, connecting to the stabilizer bar. My guess is this isn't the source of the noise unless its severely corroded. Standing still, you won't hear any noise but unless you have equipment to make the suspension jump up and down to observe suspension travel, you're not likely to determine if this stabilizer link is worn and making the noise. At the least, you can reach in and twist it. As a ball joint, it shouldn't rotate easily. All its does is connect the stabilizer bar to the wheel hub to dampen bounce in turns, preventing wheel hopping. You can squirt oil or apply some grease on it and see if the noise goes away to help determine if this stabilizer link is the source of the noise. At the least, it should be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

The sway bar link looks bad...The socket has popped off the ball. That will allow the sway bar to move freely in turns. In fact, it looks as though the sway bar has been rubbing on the axle.
Get it fixed ASAP as it will affect vehicle handling and safety! It's a good idea to replace sway bar links in pairs.
I replaced both links on my XE three years ago. The parts are not very expensive. I hack sawed off the old ones and the new ones bolted right in.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+bar+link,7580
I zoomed your pic...
Attached Images
File Type: png sway bar link.png (58.1 KB, 3 views)

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

Last edited by imaddicted2u; 04-20-2019 at 09:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Better zoom. Since the sway bar link is swinging freely, it may be rubbing on the axle too. Can see a rub mark on sway bar link, sway bar and axle too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sway bar link.jpg (53.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by imaddicted2u; 04-20-2019 at 09:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Here is a good how to for replacing the sway bar links.
The Saturn Aura has the same underpinnings as the Pontiac G6 and Chevrolet Malibu so many parts and procedures are interchangeable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTePqh5i928

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
traineryt

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
The sway bar link looks bad
You were exactly right! Had it looked at yesterday, found what as wrong and ordered the part. Working on installing it now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
traineryt

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Some garages will put your car up on a lift for a general inspection similar to state safety inspection and either charge a small fee and warn you of any safety issues that may not pass the next state inspection or not charge a fee at all. You have more to lose if you assume everything is ok and continue to drive with a noticeable noise problem from the front end. You assume all risks of catastrophic steering or suspension failure while driving and any injury to yourself, other vehicles or structures if your car suddenly becomes uncontrollable.

I looked at the image before reading your last reply and saw the same rust - the tie rod ball joint is severely rusted when its supposed to be free of rust. At the least, it should be replaced.
I'll probably have the rest replaced soon since I do have to replace the brakes as well. Also thanks for the info on getting it repaired!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!