SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
Buckmeister
Buckmeister is on a distinguished road

Default Rattling somewhere.

Really strange problem for me, ill try to explain as much as I can. 2005 saturn vue, 2wd, 3.5

So when this was my friends car, it had a couple of clunks and sounds, we were able to fix a lot of them, but this problem never went away. This problem has also been going on for 3 years, never got worse.

There is a rattling coming from what feels like to me, not in the steering wheel itself, but down more and underneath, like the rack or something. But to be honest I have NO freaking clue anymore where its coming from.

Heres the really weird thing, you can REALLY REALLY feel the rattling really bad whenever youre going about 70 and hit the brakes. I instantly think warped rotors. But i feel this at other times in smaller ways. Its the same exact rattle/noise except ill feel it if say im on a really rough gravel road, you can just feel and hear something rattling around in there, again, there being what feels like to me the area under the steering wheel.

I am going to look at it some more, but i honestly want to stop by a shop, drop it off, tell them to drive it and inspect it.

Keep in mind, shocks, tie rods, sway bar links, brake pads, rotors, hoses, calipers, lower ball joints (but not the control arm bushings), have all been replaced.

I think that steering column has came lose, frame is lose, control arm bushings, or who knows, i sure dont. Please ask any questions. Was kind of in a hurry posting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Buckmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Buckmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Buckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Rattling somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
Really strange problem for me, ill try to explain as much as I can. 2005 saturn vue, 2wd, 3.5

So when this was my friends car, it had a couple of clunks and sounds, we were able to fix a lot of them, but this problem never went away. This problem has also been going on for 3 years, never got worse.

There is a rattling coming from what feels like to me, not in the steering wheel itself, but down more and underneath, like the rack or something. But to be honest I have NO freaking clue anymore where its coming from.

Heres the really weird thing, you can REALLY REALLY feel the rattling really bad whenever youre going about 70 and hit the brakes. I instantly think warped rotors. But i feel this at other times in smaller ways. Its the same exact rattle/noise except ill feel it if say im on a really rough gravel road, you can just feel and hear something rattling around in there, again, there being what feels like to me the area under the steering wheel.

I am going to look at it some more, but i honestly want to stop by a shop, drop it off, tell them to drive it and inspect it.

Keep in mind, shocks, tie rods, sway bar links, brake pads, rotors, hoses, calipers, lower ball joints (but not the control arm bushings), have all been replaced.

I think that steering column has came lose, frame is lose, control arm bushings, or who knows, i sure dont. Please ask any questions. Was kind of in a hurry posting.
I have a very similar problem I haven't tracked down. When I'm standing outside of the car turning the wheel and listening under, it sounds like the rack itself. I replaced the steering shaft and positioned it correctly, which made the steering a bit tighter, but did nothing for the rattle.

When in the car driving and I go over sharp bumps (rough gravel road), it definitely sounds like it's in the column, up from the shaft. I haven't taken the column covers off to see anything. It is almost like the column mount bolts are loose. Nothing feels loose, and I can try to duplicate the noise by shaking the wheel up and down, but it does not make the noise that way. I'd sure like to know, as it's one of the few annoyances I have left after replacing other parts (suspension, etc.) to combat some rattles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Buckmeister

Im going to poke around a little bit after i get off work here soon. If i find anything or nothing ill report back.

Can anyone help me with one thing? What exactly is the steering column? The rack is under going from one side to another, and the shaft goes from there up, which area of that is the column exactly?

Car drives so smooth. I took it 85 down the highway and hit a big pothole coming off the bridge and NOTHING no clunk or anything. But i come down on the breaks or going through town, rattle rattle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Buckmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Buckmeister

Okay making progress. I think.

I removed the steering column covers, and where the shaft comes down from the steering wheel and meets the u joint, there is a bolt to tighten the spot where it slips in, that was lose. I tightened it. Drove it home. Rattled less, im gonna check it out more now and see if anything else is lose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190409_172304.jpg (74.2 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Buckmeister

I jacked up the front, and I was able to turn the wheels under my own force, is this nornal?

Regardless, shook the wheel, nothing.
Put a bar under the wheel and pulled up, no clunks or strange movement. Crawled under the front end, shook and pulled on everything, the rack, the frame, the brake calipers the steering shaft everything I could see. Nothing. So im going with that other piece of shaft that was loose, ill go take it on the highway and come down on my brakes and see what results I get.

I also did notice my front axles are seeping fluid, and i just hit 150k, so sometime soon I will replacd them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 AM   #6
Buckmeister

Tightening the bolt in the steering column has fixed the rattle. The shaft down from steering wheel slides into a slot which just kind of grips it, and has a bolt to hold it tight. I was able to move that shaft back and forth. After tightening I was not able to, and the rattle has stopped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
Tightening the bolt in the steering column has fixed the rattle. The shaft down from steering wheel slides into a slot which just kind of grips it, and has a bolt to hold it tight. I was able to move that shaft back and forth. After tightening I was not able to, and the rattle has stopped.
Is it this bolt, which is where the intermediate steering shaft connects to the column?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOE6MkY2Rj0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
Buckmeister

That would be the bolt.

I attatched a pictute in an earlier reply of the same bolt.

It really allows me to hear the actual noises my car is making now like realizing how crappy the cheap strut assemblys on it are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!