SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
KEP3
KEP3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Dead Sky Redline

I went out to start my 2008 Redline after sitting since November 2018 in a heated garage. Nothing. Nil. Nada. And to add insult to injury, I can't get the key out of the ignition. I hooked the battery up to a trickle charge which has been going about 20 hours. Still nothing at all. No interior lights, no gauges, no clicking, and I can't get it out of park either.

Suggestions? I dread having to disassemble the front end to replace the battery. This is a worse design than what my 1998 Intrepid had. On that one you had to jack up the right front and remove the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KEP3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KEP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Dead Sky Redline

In general any vehicle left unused for several weeks or months should have its battery disconnected or a trickle charger connected 24/7. Memory chips do not draw any current but some electronics draw current for a brief period of time. OnStar is one. Even without OnStar, an aging battery may discharge sooner than expected.

The best you can do is to connect a real battery to your dead battery but use the heavy duty booster cables. Not the cheap $10 jumper cables. All they do is cook when a jump start draws all the power from a boost battery. Large gauge battery cables, 4 or 2 gauge will allow a boost battery to power up your car and supply the amperage to startup the engine, cheap battery cables simply cooks with a dead main battery. Most jump starts relies on some battery power left in the main battery as the booster battery helps - both batteries ate used but not with a dead main battery. The booster battery supplies all the power so real battery cables are needed, not the cheap ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
KEP3

2007 AURA XE

I had the charger connected directly to the terminals. I'll try the illogical method. Sorry, after 60 years of charging batteries, I got into a rut of always connecting to the terminals.

I may need to spring for a battery, tho. It's a red top Optima that's around 4 years old.

Thanks for the info. Now if I could only find my monster cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KEP3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-You did nothing wrong with a trickle charger connected directly to the battery. A trickle charger may not be enough amperage to revive a dead battery. My understanding of trickle chargers is that output is less than a few amps but enough to maintain a fully charged or slowly recharge a partially discharged battery. There's data to determine from measuring battery voltage when its fully charged, partially discharged to completely discharged (some batteries can't recover from a full discharge).

One site describes battery voltage as;

Measuring your car batteryís voltage can be a great way to determine just how charged your battery might be. The ideal car battery voltage range will provide you with a relevant interval according to which you can measure precisely what the voltage says about the batteryís current charge. A perfect voltage (without any devices or electronic systems plugged in) is between 13.7 and 14.7V. If the battery isnít fully charged, it will diminish to 12.4V at 75%, 12V when itís only operating at 25%, and up to 11.9V when itís completely discharged. This data and the way it relates to the design of your battery should provide you with some useful insight into the functioning capacity of your car battery.

Please do not accept info as absolute. Search for info about battery voltage.

2-A Red Top Optima battery is supposed to be one of the best batteries but it can succumb to failure with the poor electrical systems; loose drive belt, less than ideal belt tension, alternator issues, presuming it cannot discharge when leaving a car unused for several weeks or months, etc. A battery is only as good as the electrical system providing continuous voltage regulation to maintain a full charge for the life of a battery regardless of wet cells, maintenance free or sealed agm types. Each battery type has its minimum discharge (voltage) level before harm occurs. Discharging a car battery below voltage minimum may do irreparable damage where it may never recover from a deep discharge. Trickle chargers are made to keep a near or fully charged battery topped off without overcharging it. I'm not familiar with how to maintain an Optima battery, whether or not trickle chargers are fine (when plugged in before walking away from a vehicle anticipated to be unused for long periods of time). Your Optima may just need a regular charger, the automatic types outputting 10 amps or more to wake it up from a deep discharge if it was deeply discharged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
KEP3

2007 AURA XE

I was actually hoping I'd come back here and post "IT'S ALIVE, MASTER! I TELL YOU, IT'S ALIVE!!" but no such luck. The charger indicates a full charge but there's nothing. And the key is stuck in the ignition again. :frown:

I guess it's off to AutoZone or O'Reily's for a new one. Our a full bore charger. The Optima's go for close to $300 so maybe a charger would be a better option right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Old 03-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
KEP3

2007 AURA XE

Well, I sprung for a 25 AMP digital charger. It has a screen that tells you if the cables are connected correctly, if at all. Connected to the positive terminal on the fuse box and to the air intake for ground. Display said not connected. Tried again. Not connected. Then connected directly to the battery terminals. Not connected. I may be wrong but it seems to me something is totally bunged up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Old 03-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think you're going to have to get access to the battery and examine both battery cables and connections. The battery should be removed and store tested to be sure its ok or if it needs to be replaced. With battery inaccessible, I understand your reason for an Optima battery and to impress upon you to use the trickle charger any time the Sky goes unused for more than a week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 AM   #8
Chris889
Chris889 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, really?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chris889's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chris889 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chris889 is offline   Reply With Quote