SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
09VUEXR
09VUEXR is on a distinguished road

Default Check engine light-Reduced power enabled

So with all the problems I've had with my 2009 Vue XR in JUST one year of ownership and a only several thousand miles...by the way I really love this car, peppy, super nice, just right..so it's been a love hate relationship so far.
anyway, here's another: the reduced power limp home mode !!!
My 58K XR first suffered with an HVAC issue. The A/C was weak, coming out at the lower vents, in fact it seemed like it was venting behind the dash. So I checked the cabin filter, very dirty..removed it as it sounded like something was rattling in the ducts when the fan was turned up. After removing the filter, I just left the filter box door OPEN, left the glove box off..to my surprise it cleared itself and has been super cold and running fine every since. So I reinstalled the filter..done.
Next the brakes locked up, something to do w/ the brake ECM atop the battery..so at a cost of $700 bucks I had that replaced and brakes bled and another issue fixed on the master cylinder. Been now more than a year, it's OK !
Next, sometimes my passenger side door locks wouldn't pop open...fixed that by disconnecting BOTH + and - battery cables..for 15 minutes..reset the ECU..OK now..
Then the biggie, this reduce power MIL issue. The problem is the vehicle goes into a limp home mode and I mean IMMEDIATELY..from 50 mph it kicked down to a crawl, back firing, missing. It happened with my wife and kids in the car..damned lucky she wasn't killed by the vehicle behind her...needless to say I'm seething mad and wrote GM on their FB page....I was going to rid myself of this death trap but decided to try this procedure on Youtube, which owners had a lot of luck with.
It was simply removing the Throttle body and cleaning it...but wait, when I removed the engine show cover, I could hear a purge canister rattling at the back of the engine..You could feel it when placing hand over it..So replaced that at a cost of $37 Don't forget to check the tube that goes from TB to the purge canister, it had oil in it, so clean that out too ! Cleaned my TB which was a coked up mess. Took a tooth brush, stiff paint brush, some CRC TB cleaner, an oil tub and got it sparkling clean. Installed it..you might need a gasket, mine was a fiber...I got away with it, but you should replace..some TB are O rings..so anyway..replaced everything,took it out...and shockingly it was fixed..I could NOT believe it. So there is something to it. IF, if it doesn't work initially, remove BOTH battery cables, wait, reboot ..I would believe the faulty canister probably over time had a part in coking up the TB...some sort of causal relationship.maybe/maybe not.
I really love this car and would have hated to sell it..or get into a lawsuit w/ the dealer as I will NOT tolerate a problem so inherently dangerous in a MV...this problem is inherent problem in many GM models..so they got an issue here, should be a recall . So hopefully we're OK now, been about 400 miles, hard miles !
Sorry for the long post !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 09VUEXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 09VUEXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
09VUEXR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Check engine light-Reduced power enabled

Several hundred thousand miles on this Vue? The previous owner(s) may have neglected periodic services on high mileage maintenance to avoid costs with dealer services that can be performed by almost anyone with some skills using tools and common sense along with procedures. EFI systems are more reliable compared to older carburetor/distributor systems but with similar/different issues. Both require maintenance, period. You discovered a filthy throttle body because there isn't any service manual procedures for cleaning. The build up isn't from the purge canister. Crud is a direct result of positive crankcase ventilation back during the Neanderthal age when emissions pollution controls were invented to cycle all combustion blowby gases back into the intake air system, If you were old enough to drive carburetor/distributor engines, you might recall removing the oil fill cap with an idling engine and seeing smoke and oil venting out. Blowby gases from piston rings not completely containing the combustion process works it way past rings into the crankcase. Pressure develops and has to go somewhere. The PCV valve was invented to allow intake manifold vacuum draw crankcase gases back into the intake system for recycling. Turbulent flow allows all this burned combustion to coat the entire intake manifold passageways and the carburetor hence periodic throttle spray to wash off build up. EFI systems still use positive crankcase ventilation so intake manifolds are still coated with blowby byproducts of combustion that eventually coats the electric throttle body. You found a dirty throttle body no one cared to clean. Much less service is needed for EFI systems compared to carb/distributor systems but servicing is still needed from time to time. In general, when spark plugs were designed for 100k miles, general service in the engine area revolves around the 100k mile interval. Many ignore or forget these services because the engine is so reliable!? Ignoring past history, even when new technology occurred, dooms anyone to repeating the past. Cleaning throttle bodies is one of them. Your cleaning of a filthy throttle body may be the first time and should last at least another hundred thousand miles or whenever the air filter is replaced. The same goes for the filthy cabin air filter.

Owners forgetting/ignoring service reminders from owner's manuals simply create problems down the road. Cabin air filters are relatively new and easily forgotten. You found a clogged filter, blocking air flow to affect ac and heating. Platinum spark plugs designed to last 100k miles may be overlooked when engine problems don't exist. You discovered serious problems and was in a situation that endangered you and your family. The fault lies in lack of maintenance from previous owners and you inherited their lack of concerns. Its not GMs fault as much as you feel blame should be on GM. GM cannot mandate servicing any vehicle outside of providing owner's manuals and dealer suggestions of periodic service. Owners have to step up to the plate in maintaining periodic service whether thru diy, local repair shops or dealers. Your descriptions seems to be about poorly maintained vehicle. Fortunately, you are capable of seeing issues and addressing them to bring neglected services to maintain reliable transportation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Methinks he meant he's only put several thousand miles on it in a year of ownership, and has had these problems. Not that it only has several thousand miles on it total!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're right. My mind's eye inserted 'hundred' before thousand and off I went to the races. We still don't know total mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...looks like 58k ? lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote