SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
jnoonfelt14
jnoonfelt14 is a jewel in the roughjnoonfelt14 is a jewel in the roughjnoonfelt14 is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2007 AURA XE
Thumbs Down 2.2 Axleback exhaust fail...

So I decided to ignore advice from my friends and co workers and cut off my suitcase muffler and installed a 2.5 inch exhaust going to a DC "muffler". A big issue was the fact the pipe before it curves into the suitcase is less than 2 inches and wouldn't fit my adapter without come banging and bending. Even after that, it still wouldn't fit and seal right.

I fired it up without the muffler and it was so loud. I revved it up and it popped and crackled like mad. I had a good laugh and finished the install. I used two band clamps and a ring clamp with a hanger built into it to support the whole thing. It sounded nice at idle when revved up. BUT at ANY part throttle situations, it was TOO loud and droned ALOT. I drive an hour to school everyday and most of it is one the highway. I couldn't stand the car cruising at 3500 rpm going 77 mph and the thing droning and humming like mad. I felt like a pure RICER, and I couldn't hear anything.

Long story short, there was ZERO performance benefits of doing this and its all noise. I got sick of it after day 2 and payed a muffler shop $60 to weld the old suitcase back on. If your curious on the sound, I have a brief clip on my Youtube channel name Jon Noonfelt. Be warned and do not do this, unless you like hearing loss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnoonfelt14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnoonfelt14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnoonfelt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
jamesl285
jamesl285 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2.2 Axleback exhaust fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoonfelt14 View Post
So I decided to ignore advice from my friends and co workers and cut off my suitcase muffler and installed a 2.5 inch exhaust going to a DC "muffler". A big issue was the fact the pipe before it curves into the suitcase is less than 2 inches and wouldn't fit my adapter without come banging and bending. Even after that, it still wouldn't fit and seal right.

I fired it up without the muffler and it was so loud. I revved it up and it popped and crackled like mad. I had a good laugh and finished the install. I used two band clamps and a ring clamp with a hanger built into it to support the whole thing. It sounded nice at idle when revved up. BUT at ANY part throttle situations, it was TOO loud and droned ALOT. I drive an hour to school everyday and most of it is one the highway. I couldn't stand the car cruising at 3500 rpm going 77 mph and the thing droning and humming like mad. I felt like a pure RICER, and I couldn't hear anything.

Long story short, there was ZERO performance benefits of doing this and its all noise. I got sick of it after day 2 and payed a muffler shop $60 to weld the old suitcase back on. If your curious on the sound, I have a brief clip on my Youtube channel name Jon Noonfelt. Be warned and do not do this, unless you like hearing loss.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Now I doubt if I should cut my suitcase muffler and instal exhaust

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamesl285's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamesl285 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamesl285 is offline   Reply With Quote