SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
sxuxrxf
sxuxrxf is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default Can I lube the shaft?

The clutch pedal on my '99 SW2 squeaks and is a little sticky. I've read of lubing the input shaft during the installation of new parts, but is it possible to get in there and just lube it?
It's got 125k on the odometer and everything feels great otherwise.

-Robb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sxuxrxf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sxuxrxf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sxuxrxf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Can I lube the shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxuxrxf View Post
The clutch pedal on my '99 SW2 squeaks and is a little sticky. I've read of lubing the input shaft during the installation of new parts, but is it possible to get in there and just lube it?
It's got 125k on the odometer and everything feels great otherwise.

-Robb
Not sure where you are located but does this generally only happen when the ambient temperatures are hot (80F or so)? You live in a hot climate? This is typical; my 99 SL2 does this only in the summer and only when the temperatures get above 80F.

Sometimes you can inject silicone grease into where the clutch master cylinder rod enters the firewall and you'll get lucky. Others have replaced the master slave cylinder assembly to resolve and this is where some are being proactive and injecting silicone grease. It's not difficult to replace and the part costs $40-$100 depending on the supplier.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

If you are lucky, the squeak / stiffness is from the short, horizontal post that juts out at the top left of the clutch pedal. There is a loop at the end of the master that connects to the clutch pedal there, and is held on by a flat spring clip. That's relatively easy to lube.

you could probably just spray something up there as a test, and if that helps, remove the clip and lube with something heavier.

heh, heh, heh, he said, "lube the shaft"

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
sxuxrxf

1999 SW2

I'm in southern California. I've only had the car for 2 months, so no summer heat yet.
It's really squeaky on cold mornings...upper 30's - low 40's. Once the heater kicks in the squeak fades out.
While in a drive-thru line yesterday (low 70's?) The temp gauge crept up and over the halfway mark and the pedal got really upset. Noisy and sticking. Then it would release and move another 1/2".
Last weekend I replaced the tstat, water pump, ECTS and wiring, and motor mounts. I was waiting for the fan to kick in, but I gave in and turned on the AC to make the fan start. Temp went down right away.
Clutch pedal felt like it was going to snap a cable (like an old VW) until it dropped back to normal temp (5/16+)

'99 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sxuxrxf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

In the search box at the top of teh page enter: clutch squeak and read throug the solutions. Your issue may be the pedal shaft or the actual hydraulic cylinder pushrod or both so the first thing is to figure out what is broke so you can fix it. If you want to take a shot at the pedal shaft you have to take the dash cover off to actually get at it easily. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/index.html Body Interior for how to get it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

I tried all that stuff, but didn't fix it.

1) Put your ear close to the Clutch Master Cylinder while someone pushes in the clutch.

2) If you hear it coming from the Clutch Master Cylinder, replace it.

3) No more issue.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
sxuxrxf

1999 SW2

Thanks for the info. I'll just buy new parts and not worry about it anymore.

Thanks!

'99 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!