SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:54 PM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wrench Manual Radiator Fan Switch

NOTE: This WILL NOT fix a fan that is actually BROKEN or otherwise completely non-functional. It WILL give you the option of turn on the raditor fan when YOU want to without affecting normal fan operation.

SUPPLIES
1 Automotive type switch your choice of style
About 4 feet or so of 20 guage wire (speaker wire will do)
1 Automotive test light

Remove the cover on the underhood fuse box and locate the relay labeled "FAN"

Pull up on this relay enough to access the metal contacts sticking down from the bottom of it but DO NOT remove it.

Connect the clip of your test light to GROUND

Probe each of the still connected relay contacts with the test light probe. Eventually you will find one that makes the relay CLICK and the fan come on when touched. Make note of which one it is.

Run a wire from where you want your switch to be to the relay you just tested. Remove the relay and insert the wire into the socket below the relay pin that "clicked" when you tested it. Now reinstalll the relay so that it wedges the wire inplace firmly in that socket with the relay installed. Test your connection by GROUNDING the other end of the wire. If all is well, the fan will come on.

Install your switch where you would like it. Attach the wire to the relay to one side of the switch and a wire to GROUND to the other side of the switch. With the switch "ON" the fan should now run.

IMPORTANT NOTES: This modification will NOT AFFECT "normal" fan operation. (It will still work "automatically" as before but you will also have manual control) This modification supplies GROUND to the OEM fan relay trip used by the PCM and does NOT require any additional fusing. This will activate the radiator cooling fan with the key on or off! On SOME Saturns, this will set an SES light if used with the engine running. FEAR NOT! This is harmless to the PCM and the SES light will go back OFF within a few secs/minutes of turning your manual fan switch back off. (It is just the PCM "seeing" the fan on when it does not "think" it should be)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
mclarenf1gtrv12
mclarenf1gtrv12 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SC2
Default why do it

maybe im just being stupid but what will making the fan manual do does it improve abilty of engine to cool or what .What type of advatage does doing this really have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mclarenf1gtrv12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mclarenf1gtrv12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

This allows you to turn the radiator fan on at will. The fan will turn on automatically when the temperature guage gets to the 3/4 mark, but that is way too hot. With the fan switch, you can turn the fan on as soon as it starts going over the 1/2 mark, which is optimal engine temperature. Anything above 1/2 is starting to put unnecessary wear on the engine and transmission.

'00 SL2m- daily-driver, 162K miles
'97 SL2m- wife's daily-driver, 183K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I think this would work.

Normally, As the car warms up, the coolant in the block reaches 192'F (thermostat temp) then starts warming up the radiator (outside air, temp, say, 60'F). The rad would reach the engine temp eventually in slow/stopped traffic, i.e. both 192'F then both rad and block would continue rising to 212'F (or wherever the ecm kicks the fan on). [If highway speeds are used exclusively, the radiator temp is probably under 100'F by the above example.]

This product is a 170'F thermoprobe you stick (JB-Weld?) to the radiator tank. Wired to a relay, it would run the electric fan more of the time, whenever the rad is over 170'F. IOW, it would keep the radiator temp in a cooler range and the engine at exactly thermostat temperature, barring extreme circumstances. This is not like a cooler thermostat; the block temp is still factory spec 192'F for economy/performance/durability/emissions.

This would be a great mod for someone who drives highway mostly and rarely needs or wants the fan, but thinks it's silly to let the temp climb all that way sitting in traffic. It complements the manual rad switch or replaces it. One would (probably, am lacking included device instructions) wire this as another parallel switch to ground as Wolfman described. This is good for a car one lends out occasionally so the manual switch doesn't need explaining.

Recap: You'd have fan if
A: ECM sees it very hot (212 or 230'F?)
B: Air conditioning is running
C: Radiator is 170'F
D: Optional manual rad fan switch is engaged.

Hope this is clearer than mud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
Rob1998SL2
Rob1998SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Wolfman...

How does one mount a switch in the cockpit? Where do the wires feed through to the engine bay? And where is a good location to mount the switch?

Thanks,
-Rob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob1998SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob1998SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:31 AM   #6
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

A great spot for the switch is one of the pop-outs next to the rear window defogger button or under the radio if no a/c came with the car. Pop out the pop-out and drill an appropriate hole in the plastic. Pull wire through hole, attach to switch (solder/spade lug), pop back in.

Near the brake booster under the hood is a grommet that can expand slightly to bring wire into the cabin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #7
Rob1998SL2
Rob1998SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Awesome...

That helps a lot. Thanks!

-Rob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob1998SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob1998SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #8
jthj
jthj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Twin_Cam
This allows you to turn the radiator fan on at will. The fan will turn on automatically when the temperature guage gets to the 3/4 mark, but that is way too hot. With the fan switch, you can turn the fan on as soon as it starts going over the 1/2 mark, which is optimal engine temperature. Anything above 1/2 is starting to put unnecessary wear on the engine and transmission.
I wonder why Saturn engineers deisgned it to wait so long. Save electricity?????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jthj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jthj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
92SL1Mann
Advanced Member
92SL1Mann is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1996 SC2
Default Manual Fan Mod

eljefino....why would you need fan when the a/c is on? I dont know that much about that.....thanks

1992 SL1, 376,000Kms
1996 SC2, 243,000Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SL1Mann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SL1Mann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #10
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The fan runs automatically with the a/c to blow air over the condensor (part of the a/c system) and cool that; cooling the engine radiator is almost a side-effect. It's a pleasant side effect since it's usually quite warm out when the a/c is running and the engine will like that too.

I was suggesting the blank pop-out space the optional a/c button would fit in for a good place for the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #11
92SL1Mann
Advanced Member
92SL1Mann is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1996 SC2

Thanks eljefino

1992 SL1, 376,000Kms
1996 SC2, 243,000Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SL1Mann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SL1Mann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Guys, this is just for the explanations for a particular procedure....not a discussion area. Your points should be made over at the regular forum.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
Mog
Mog is on a distinguished road

Is an automotive test light something as simple as I am thinking? I've never herd of that before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #14
zippy_LiL_sL1
zippy_LiL_sL1 is on a distinguished road

although a test light is probably a good idea, I don't have one. I just used a piece of wire to jump 2 slots at a time until I heard a click. I blew a fuse doing it. Replaced the fuse and tried other slots. Yeah got it to work... but no one around here sells decent switches with the correct rating. Anyone know of a good spot to get cool switches?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zippy_LiL_sL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zippy_LiL_sL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2004, 07:14 PM   #15
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

the switch is placed on the low current side of the relay, not the high. so the switch doesn't need to be rated at 30 amps, less then 100mA will go thru the switch.

i know wolfman says the fan should not be on at speeds over 40. without the override switch, does the PCM turn off the fan automaticilly at high speeds?

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:20 AM   #16
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2
Default Yes

Quote:
Fm Sierrap
does the PCM turn off the fan automaticilly at high speeds?
Yes it does; And I believe that the shut off speed is it at 70 mph. Atleast that is what I recall reading from the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my '95 SL 2.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #17
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

anyone know if I'd be able to use a lighted 12VDC switch? Would this require the gauge of the switch wire to be thicker?

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #18
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

withphone, I don't think so... the operative here is the ground! for the relay, not +ve, so I'll go ahead an assume there is no power running here thereby making the lighted switch useless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #19
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm Bruno
so I'll go ahead an assume there is no power running here thereby making the lighted switch useless....
Am I out of the loop on this issue? I found that a lighted switch was perfect for me to remind me that the manual switch had been activated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 08-09-2004, 03:25 PM   #20
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

The way my switch is set up, it just provides a ground to the relay, so there is nothing to power the lighted switch. I dunno, maybe you guys set yours up diff't. Mine was done originally on my first Saturn by an elec engineer, and I just swapped everything over onto my second saturn as I found it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread