SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Door Panel Fasteners

What type of door panel fasteners are on the rear of the front door panels ? Mine were missing when I bought it and the panels at the yard are missing them as well. I haven't found any out there that has any. They're all missing as well, so I'm assuming they're broken off at the white plastic anchors glued to the inside panel. I don't see anyway they can be connected because there's nothing to connect clips to. Here's a pic of what I have. Something appears to be broken off. I'm trying to find a way to modify them somehow but I looks like it may be impossible to do. If anyone has suggestions, please advise me. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (198.2 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Door Panel Fasteners

As you may know, they're just attached with spray adhesive to the panel. I have no idea if there's even a technical name for them. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The L series door panels do have those glued on white plastic brackets which are effectively 'holders' for the plastic fasteners that clip into the door metal. The fastener slide into the holder.

What we found on my son's door panels when we removed them all a month or so ago to install new speakers, was that in two cases the holders pulled from the door card. I simply used Contact adhesive to give a solid attachment again.

As far as the fasteners are concerned, sometimes they pull away out of the holders and remain still stuck in the metal door panel. GM uses many different designs of fasteners, the most common being the ones on the fenders, bumpers, etc. Many folks grab them when they visit the JY or buy them new. As for these door panels fasteners, I think going the JY is a wasted journey, given what you want and what it takes to get to them.

You may want to see if you can get them at the local auto stores or you can browse this link to Clips&Fasteners.com. I have used them in the past for several vehicles. You will likely buy a box with maybe 50 in, but cost wise they work out cheaper than buying locally. The Main Dealer can also probably get them for you, but you will pay a kings ransom for them.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Default.asp?Click=2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

From what I see from my panels, plus the pic I posted there isn't anyway to connect a fastener to it. It looks like there's a piece broken off from the top zoomed view. I may just have to put them back on with them gone. The panel still is solid without any. I think I need the new entire glued white pieces to attach a fastener. Thanks for your info tho. I will check into it. Sorry, I think I need new anchors is the problem here but I would guess they're obsolete. There is an auto body supply store here that sells all kinds of fasteners. They may be able to come up with something if I bring the panel in. I know the owners personally and they know their business.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 02-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Those clips are the subject of many a curse word directed at GM. They must be made of the strongest material known to mankind because they stay in the door and break off the bracket on the interior door panel. In my experience, it is just easier to take them all out and use the screws to keep the door panel in. There are enough screws around that it doesn't increase noise or make the door unstable. As a man who has removed and installed those door panels about 6 times each, trust me when I say that it is not worth it worrying about those clips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bromli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm assuming all are referring to the items pictured below as attachments. I've removed each of the door trim panels more than once, and in the case of the left rear door perhaps more than five times. All of the speakers have been replaced and some wiring has needed repair as well. In no instance have I damaged a trim panel while removing them nor have the pins broken. I believe that it's because I've always used a trim panel tool and have not been too hasty in the process.

I measured it with a caliper just in case it might be useful to someone.

Overall length - 18.5mm; pin expanded diameter (nearest flange) - 8.95mm; pin length - 13.27mm; head dia. - 12.96mm; flange dia. - 17.13mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
As far as the fasteners are concerned, sometimes they pull away out of the holders and remain still stuck in the metal door panel.
That's happened to me as well. I used the trim tool to remove them from the door and reinstall them onto the panel. I've had no problems doing so. (Food for thought.)

316,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 02-26-2019 at 02:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

[QUOTE=pierrot;2293721
I measured it with a caliper just in case it might be useful to someone.

Overall length - 18.5mm; pin expanded diameter (nearest flange) - 8.95mm; pin length - 13.27mm; head dia. - 12.96mm; flange dia. - 17.13mm.[/QUOTE]

That is some good information Pierrot.

I had a situation one day where I needed a few of those barbed plastic pins. (Christmas Trees) I had some larger ones. A little work on the bench grinder brought them down to the size that was needed.

Worked perfectly!

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My earlier post was to mention and give the link for Clips & Fasteners. I just had a look and they carry 1080 products for GM, including the plastic fastener shown on the link below. It may not the one identical to the pic Pierrot gave, but at least highlights that if the original poster wants to spend 10 minutes checking this site, he may well find the fastener he's looking of instead of the thread becoming longer & longer.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/GM...r-p/a12992.htm

I think we all know that with our orphan cars, we have to be inventive/creative, but if there is a supply source of new items, then why not use them or at least explore that avenue?

Anyway, I'm all out of suggestions from now on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote