SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
zatherith
zatherith is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 SC2 double din radio question

I have a 2002 SC2 loaded with everything, 5 speed manual, leather interior, red/orange paint. I bought it from the original owner who only had 82,000 miles on it too. I want to make it into a nice car with a touch screen and backup camera. I would rather have a double din stereo with a backup camera and touch screen than a slide out single din radio. I included measurements of the radio slot on the dash and it looks like its more than big enough for a double din. Problem is I find some sites, like bestbuy, that say a radio that I pick will fit and other sites, like crutchfield, that say the same radio wont. I looked up the definition for a double din radio and its suppose to be 4" tall by 7" wide and it looks from the measurement photos that any double din should fit, what do you all think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4972.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4973.jpg (110.2 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatherith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatherith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatherith is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SC2 double din radio question

The usual issue is the depth not the double DIN face size as most but not all double din radios will fit. Use the big search box and run a search on double DIN there is lots of info on this including how to get it all installed right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
zatherith
zatherith is on a distinguished road

So when I did a search for the oem radio for the 02 S-Series the same radio was used in different Saturns like the Vue, Ion and L-Series from 2000-2005. I changed the search parameters in crutchfield from S-Series to Vue and the radio I'm looking at fits. So it might be that the space behind the radio might be different or that Crutchfield just uses the specs from the 1996-1999 models for the 2000- 2002 and thinks it wont fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatherith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatherith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatherith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I think there are differences between each stereo maker, enough that sometimes it does not work.

I installed a single-din in my 2002 SC2 using the proper kit, and I had to trim the kit for the single-din stereo to fit in the mounting kit.

Double-din has been done in 3rd gens, sounds like depth is the part you really want to measure as longer stereos will hit stuff in the back

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236018

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198591

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135792

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
craftsman70
craftsman70 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL1

I have installed a double din radio with a screen for a backup camera in both my 1998 and 2000 SL1s.
I bought this wiring harness: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For replacement bezels I used a Metra 95-3105 for my 2000 and a Metra 95-3106 for my 1998.

As for the radio, one car has a Boss BV9358B (not available anymore) and the other a JVC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craftsman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craftsman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craftsman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

Crutchfield is a good site, I suspect their data is correct and possibly tested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatherith View Post
So when I did a search for the oem radio for the 02 S-Series the same radio was used in different Saturns like the Vue, Ion and L-Series from 2000-2005. I changed the search parameters in crutchfield from S-Series to Vue and the radio I'm looking at fits. So it might be that the space behind the radio might be different or that Crutchfield just uses the specs from the 1996-1999 models for the 2000- 2002 and thinks it wont fit.
Take the left kick panel off and actually measure the max depth and you will need about 1 inch of clearance behind the radio for connector and cable along with the antenna connector. User a right angle antenna adapter. Once measured you can verify all the either fit or don't fit what the issue is. All of the seller sites make assumptions so you must verify.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
thomascald
thomascald has a spectacular aura aboutthomascald has a spectacular aura aboutthomascald has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

Go to this website and put in the info about your car and it will only show you what stereos will fit in. www.sonicelectronix.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thomascald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thomascald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thomascald is offline   Reply With Quote