SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Radio bezel push pin alternative

If you've ever tried to remove the bezel that surrounds the radio and climate controls on a 2nd Gen S-Series, you've probably broken the push pins too. The first time I had to remove it I broke one, so I got one from the junkyard to replace it. Then the second time I had to remove it I broke both of them. Rather than going to the junkyard again to try and get two more 18+ year old brittle push pins, I tried throwing some bolts I had laying around to see if they would work. The first two I happened to try fit almost perfectly. They've been holding it in place with no rattles for almost a year now but earlier today I wanted to make it a little more OE-ish, so here's what I did.

All you need it two 6mm screws/bolts and 2 6mm U-clips. You honestly don't even need the U-clips if you want to be as cheap as possible about it. I haven't been using them until now and the bolts never rattled loose.
IMG_5324.jpg

Line up the two U-clips over where the hole the push pin goes into.
IMG_5323.jpgIMG_5325.jpg

Then just slide the bezel over how it normally goes and screw it down. It's a little tight now with the U-clips there but I don't notice any additional gap anywhere around the bezel so it isn't disforming it at all.
IMG_5328.jpgIMG_5327.jpg

It doesn't look that bad as is, you can hardly notice them anyway from where you normally sit. Painting them black and maybe a washer to fill in the indent would make it look more OE in my opinion.

I know that replacement push pins exist online but I've never seen the right type in stores and I didn't want to pay for shipping for two little pushpins. Total cost for everything was about $2. I figured someone else may be able to get some use out of this.

Professional at finding random rattles
1997 SL2, 115K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Radio bezel push pin alternative

I like your engenuity, re-purposing hardware for similar use elsewhere. I did the same but in reverse.

A triangular trim panel was removed from the rear passenger window. As usual, no clips but snap-on and slide to remove. No service explanation as to which way to unsnap and move the trim piece so the plastic piece that snaps broke off. I had this piece lying somewhere in the car for around two years with no idea how to reattach it other than velcro or glue. It suddenly dawned on me to use the reusable plastic rivets. Using a predrilled hole already on the widow frame, I simply drilled the trim to match the hole, popped the trim back on, put in the plastic rivet and pushed in the center button to expand the rivet, locking the trim in place. Its not obvious to anyone unless looking for it. Simple and removable if I need to remove the door panel again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #3
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The bezel in the SC2 was loose, except on the right hand side it had a 3" sheetrock screw sort of installed. I ended up doing the same thing you did, but I didn't know about the pins.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I think I will end up doing this, mine likes to rattle a bit and I have broken countless pins..
I may try painting the bolt head black too

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Genius idea . . .

But why do you have a hole in what appears to be the top of your arm rest? First pic.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Genius idea . . .

But why do you have a hole in what appears to be the top of your arm rest? First pic.
I have no idea, I've just assumed they all have one. It's been there since I got it.

Professional at finding random rattles
1997 SL2, 115K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote