SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
zatherith
zatherith is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Aura V6, wont shift into 3rd

I have a 2008 Aura that suddenly wont shift into 3rd gear. I can drive it in first, then second and then it shifts to 3rd for a split second then drops back down to second. I will get it up to around 30 mph at around 4000 rpms and it will never shift. Could this be a transmission control module? My check engine light is on and I have a friend coming by later with a obdII reader to find out what they are. The car has 164000 miles and other than this everything works great. I know the S-series saturns would have problems shifting and you could replace the valve body and solenoids in the transmission and it would fix the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatherith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatherith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatherith is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2008 Aura V6, wont shift into 3rd

Just guessing here. I wouldn't place too much concern on a tcm fault as much as missing 3rd gear may be an issue with xmission fluid level, replacing it and filter, wiring between the tcm and xmission or one of the solenoid control valves. With most xmissions controlled by solenoid valves to modulate xmission oil pressures for smooth gear shifts, I tend to think these solenoid valves are under constant operation and wear out sooner than electronics. There are exceptions for tcm failure but little to none reported within these forums. Hopefully a reader decodes any stored error(s) to narrow it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
yaknow
yaknow is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

keep us posted, I purchased an Aura last week and had the same thing happen, the dealer picked up the car and I am waiting to if the repairs are complete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yaknow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yaknow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yaknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
zatherith
zatherith is on a distinguished road

I just used the obd2 reader on the car and the reader says "linking error" when I try to read the codes. I checked the back of the connector and all the wires are hooked up and they are not corroded. I'm not sure how to read the codes if the obd2 reader has a linking error. I tried the reader on my other cars and it works fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zatherith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zatherith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zatherith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although you did try and prove the reader compatible with another car, the problem remains about connecting and decoding the error. Maybe the DLC connectors are loose, not making good electrical connections. Female connectors are 'U' shaped with male pins inserted in between the two arms of the 'U' female pin. If one of these pins are spread out, they may not make proper electrical connection. Inserting and removing your plug may correct and connect to allow signals to flow. In general, readers use only three pins, pins, 4, 5, and 16. Pin 16 is 12v power, pins 4 and 5 are signals. The other pins are for GMs scantool for access to other modules.

If you're near Autozone, Advance Auto or other places offering free readings of error codes, you might consider trying them. Having another reader plugged into your car will either decode stored errors successfully or end up with the same linking error.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatherith View Post
I just used the obd2 reader on the car and the reader says "linking error" when I try to read the codes. I checked the back of the connector and all the wires are hooked up and they are not corroded. I'm not sure how to read the codes if the obd2 reader has a linking error. I tried the reader on my other cars and it works fine
Which engine is in your car.
What is the make and model of the OBD2 reader? Many models can only read the PCM and not other modules. You'll need the codes to determine how to proceed.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
yaknow

2008 AURA XR

any updates, dealer is telling me they changed the tranny fluid and all is well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help yaknow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
yaknow

2008 AURA XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

If the fluid was changed, is it working correctly now, if so I guess the fluid was low as fdryer said. Knowing more details on your car would be helpful. Which Aura model and engine combo do you have. Also a list of codes being thrown might help point directly to the cause of issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
yaknow

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknow View Post
test drove the car yesterday---changing fluid was a fail!!

3.6 Liter --6 speed tranny ---code 752 or 753 can't remember

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

yaknow, was your car bought from a GM dealer or other place? If GM then you may have recourse thru your warranty agreement at time of purchase. The same may apply if the car was bought from a non GM dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #12
yaknow

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
yaknow, was your car bought from a GM dealer or other place? If GM then you may have recourse thru your warranty agreement at time of purchase. The same may apply if the car was bought from a non GM dealership.
Please explain in detail, this car was recently purchased from a non-GM dealer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Used cars bought from a dealer, whether new or used, gives a buyer certain rights depending on the agreement written on the bill of sale. New cars bought from a dealer usually carries a manufacturer warranty for everything covering a period of a few years or mileage, whichever comes first. Used cars from a new or used car dealer have some type of warranty but with a much shorter period of time. Read your bill of sale for specific information. You may be eligible for repairs the dealer may be responsible for if you bought the car and have problems. If under a sales agreement warranty, if any, and you're within the sales warranty, damage not caused by you may be eligible for free repairs the dealer is obligated to perform since you did not buy a car with problems suddenly popping up out of nowhere. If your bill of sale warranty expired then the dealer is not obligated to make good on repairs. You would bear all costs for repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #14
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknow View Post
test drove the car yesterday---changing fluid was a fail!!

3.6 Liter --6 speed tranny ---code 752 or 753 can't remember
Both those codes are for shift solenoid A problem.
The 6T70 transmission has a solenoid cleaning function that can only be activated with a TechII scan tool (See Solenoid Cleaning Process in this link)
Would be worth trying this before tearing anything apart.
http://atraonline.com/gears/2009/2009-08/2009_8_44.pdf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #15
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

If the solenoid cleaning function doesn't help, you may be into replacing the TEHCM...but proper diagnosis is imperative to determine if the issue is electrical, hydraulic or mechanical.
How To: Replace a TEHCM (TCM) Transmission Module (P0752)
https://www.acadiaforum.net/24-engin...ule-p0752.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!