SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2
Default Gen 1 specific parts

Recently, the junk yard I go to has gotten a 95 SL1 and a 94 SW1. (I don't actually think the SW is new, but I haven't seen it before.) I know that first get parts are becoming hard to come by so I was wondering if there's anything worth pulling? Either for a future Saturn I may own, or if someone here has been looking for something. I know that the reverse egr adapters are something that's useful but are there any other little things like that? I can't be pulling entire door panels or door cards, I don't have the storage for that, but I figure there might be other little things that are becoming rare. I don't really know gen 1 at all though so that's why I need some advice on what to grab. They're only SOHC so they're not very well optioned, but I think there should be some useful stuff.

Thanks

Road salt will be the death of me
1997 SL2, 112K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Re: Gen 1 specific parts

The coveted aluminum valve covers can be used on later model years. Other items include owners manuals, center arm rests, and in the 94', the motors in the dollar pillars for the automatic shoulder belts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Nobody actually wants the seat belt motors in the '91-'94s, they just don't realize how easy it is to swap '95 belts in.

SOHC's have aluminum valve covers '91-'02, but yes if you come across a DOHC with an aluminum cover grab it. Careful with the '93 DOHC's, that was a change over year for the VC...'91-'93ish have 3 bolts in the spark plug valley while '93ish-'98 have 4 (or vice-versa).

Headlights if they're in good shape are probably worth grabbing. 10min with a drill and 3M's headlight cleaning kit get's pretty much any headlight new looking again. SC/SC2 headlight modules if they're unbroken, not rusted to garbage and the motor gear hasn't stripped out should be worth a bit though they are quite the PITA to remove from the car.

Personally I hate the S-Series arm rest, but I've only tried the 2nd gen style and then only with manual transmission. It comes too close to the shifter for my liking, makes it hard for me to shift. Worth getting if you can get it cheap, I've usually seen them on eBay for under $40 shipped.

Working sunroof modules if you can find any. They're door count specific, 2dr only swaps with 2dr and any 4dr should swap with any 4dr. Roof is different enough for 1st gen's that none of the mounting holes line up between 2dr and 4dr's (I put way too much work into trying to hack a 4dr module into a 2dr) lol).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Good things are the electric seat belt safety clips, as in the metal clip that should be in the glove box. If the seat belts stop moving you can put the emergency clip in place and still buckle up. Also, cruise control modules for the gen 1's are harder to find.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

The engine assembly from the 1995 would be worth grabbing, as 1995 SOHC/DOHC engines are a "1995-only interchange as complete assembly".

The 1995 center console armrest assembly, IF(which I doubt it highly) the latch isn't already broken and the hinge hasn't snapped off.

Since these are SL/SW1 models, most of the interior/exterior panels and parts are going to have a fairly wide interchange.

The adapters for the 1994 linear egr is ONLY on the California-emissions S-Series.

Grabbing the PCMs would be a good idea, since they are OBD-I and dealerships can't reprogram them. Just make sure to note the options each car has, so you don't run into a headache if you sell them or use them.

1994 Federal will only run a Federal-emissions SOHC, and can't be swapped into a 1994 California-emissions or 1995.

The 1995 PCM will only run a 1995 model year, or 1994 California-emissions vehicle.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #6
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
The adapters for the 1994 linear egr is ONLY on the California-emissions S-Series.
I have the design files ready and a shop that has the programming work done to produce these -- I had a run of 10 made a couple years back and slowly sold them off. I'm considering doing another due to the amount of chatter that I've seen concerning them.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Be aware, that while the Aluminum Covers can be swapped- there are two different bolt patterns. I believe there is an 8 Bolt and 10 Bolt Pattern on the Covers. The bolts that secure the Cover are also in different locations, when it comes to the DOHC setup. I have a Cover from a 1991 SC; but the bolt pattern is different then what you would find on later model year cars.

Just a heads up.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Be aware, that while the Aluminum Covers can be swapped- there are two different bolt patterns. I believe there is an 8 Bolt and 10 Bolt Pattern on the Covers. The bolts that secure the Cover are also in different locations, when it comes to the DOHC setup. I have a Cover from a 1991 SC; but the bolt pattern is different then what you would find on later model year cars.

Just a heads up.
Correct. 1991-1992 Aluminum valve covers will not fit the 1993-1998 cylinder heads as they have a different bolt pattern.

1993-1995 will fit the 1993-1998 cylinder heads, provided you retain the bolts to them and use the correct gasket kit.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote