SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
SlayZombi
SlayZombi will become famous soon enough

2001 SL
Default Coolant Temp

So since I have never had a "normal" temp since I bought my '01 Saturn, I thought I would ask here if what I have is now normal. When I bought the car I had very strange issues with RPM fluctuations and the temp needle never went above a quarter. I changed it (it was indeed OEM and cracked at the tip). High RPM's and fluctuations are gone but the temp usually doesn't go above about a quarter. 2 days ago I did a coolant change (full) with fresh Dexcool along with changing both the bottom and top radiator hose AND the thermostat while I was at it. The thermostat said made in Germany so I imagine it was the original one from 18 years ago. The car runs great still but the temp now seems to have settled at about a quarter before the halfway mark. It doesn't go higher than that so I am curious if that is actually what the real temp is supposed to be at when it's "settled" into original spec operating temps. Could it have been possible that while the old thermostat was still working it was leaking? Or is this new temp too high and I messed up somewhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2
Default Re: Coolant Temp

That's about where the temp should show on the gauge. If your old one wouldn't go past a quarter it was sticking open and would have needed to be replaced.

Road salt will be the death of me
1997 SL2, 112K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
Jim@HiTek
Jim@HiTek has a spectacular aura aboutJim@HiTek has a spectacular aura aboutJim@HiTek has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1

Looks about right to me. If the A/C is running, it'll be lower...about 1/4 above the gauge's 1/4 mark.

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim@HiTek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim@HiTek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim@HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did the original t-stat show signs of melted seals? Deformed rubber seals on the t-stat are indications of an overheated engine from the faulty coolant sensor. Since the faulty coolant sensor never sends correct signals, the pcm doesn't know actual engine temps. Its only as good as its weakest sensor. The majority of failed coolant sensors sent subzero temperature signals. The pcm simply reacts with extra rich fuel mixtures and never sees any actual temperature changes. As the engine heats up beyond normal, the t-stat reacts to open and allow circulation but the coolant sensor is also counted on to send escalating temperatures when the pcm determines when to turn on the cooling fan. Since the faulty sensor never sends hot temperature signals, the engine overheats and melts the two rubber seals on the t-stat. The engine then runs cooler than normal after seals melt.

The best way to correlate your new, correct temperature needle positions is to connect a reader. All signals are displayed including coolant temps at any time from before startup (intake air temp and coolant temps sensors should display the same temps within a few degrees of each other as a baseline data point), cold engine idling, a few minutes of driving and after a full warm-up of at least 15 minutes of idling or driving at least 10 minutes. Actual coolant temps should be between 185F-200F before fan cooling is needed. Correlate the new temperature needle positions against reader displays as the reader is taking data directly off the pcm (it monitors every sensor with ignition ON).

If you still have the faulty coolant sensor, you can see how faulty it is by reconnecting it to the two wire connector without having the sensor mounted in the cylinder head. Just have it at ambient temps before turning ignition on and observe what a reader displays as the pcm interprets the invalid signals. You'll see a very different temperature, not what's expected.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-11-2019 at 05:09 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post

The best way to correlate your new, correct temperature needle positions is to connect a reader. All signals are displayed including coolant temps at any time from before startup (intake air temp and coolant temps sensors should display the same temps within a few degrees of each other as a baseline data point), cold engine idling, a few minutes of driving and after a full warm-up of at least 15 minutes of idling or driving at least 10 minutes. Actual coolant temps should be between 185F-200F before fan cooling is needed. Correlate the new temperature needle positions against reader displays as the reader is taking data directly off the pcm (it monitors every sensor with ignition ON).

This. And if you don't have access to a reader, simply put a thermometer in the reservoir. As the car warms up you can note temps vs gauge position.

It looks to me like your old thermostat was possibly leaking before the change. But in either case aftermarket thermostats often run at a slightly different temp than the OEMs did. Quite a few run slightly warmer, and I've only heard of a few that ran cooler. But most fit within the ranges considered acceptable in the various references in the FSM.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Here's some related information that I've been gathering and building. I'll likely post this into the New or Returning S-Series owners' checklist thread for reference. Let me know if you find any holes in it or misinformation. Send me a PM rather than hijacking this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida

Operating Temperature, ECTS and Thermostat

If your saturn s series is ...
  • experiencing difficult starts and/or
  • high idle and/or
  • excessive carbon build up (among other issues related to exhaust) and/or
  • bad fuel mileage and/or
  • poor cabin heat
  • your temperature gauge reads lower than the photos shown below for your specific generation
...it's likely that your ECTS, ECTS connector and/or your thermostat is problematic. The following is some information that will help understand and diagnose what the issue is. Diagnosis usually starts with the ECTS as it is easier and relatively low cost to replace.

Proper Operating Temperature Gauge Reading

GEN3
The proper operating temperature for a GEN3 (2000-2002) should show as per the gauge in this photo; a needle width either way.

GEN2
The proper operating temperature for a GEN2 s series (1996-1999) should show as per the gauge in this photo; a needle width either way.

GEN1
The proper operating temperature for a GEN1 s series (1991-1995) should show as per the gauge in this photo; a needle width either way.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS)

The engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) measures the temperature of the coolant and reports back to the PCM (computer) and subsequently the temperature gauge within the gauge cluster. The original ECTS installed in all s series from 1991 to mid year 2001 had a resin tip which over time is prone to cracking and leaking coolant into the connector. GEN1 actually had 2 ECTS; a 2 wire and a 1 wire; one for the computer and one for the gauge.

A faulty ECTS and/or failing connector sends the wrong signal to the PCM which is responsible for fuel management. It usually reads cold and therefore increases fuel. The engine is running rich and this creates a lot of carbon deposits, poor fuel mileage and high idle. Over time you'll begin to see exhaust component failures due to excessive carbon build up.

Here's a photo showing the difference between the resin tipped ECTS and the brass tipped.

Here's a photo showing a cracked resin tipped sensor and a fouled ECTS connector. Both should be replaced and connector wires should be soldered not crimp connected. Crimp connectors are prone to eventual failure which will cause inaccurate readings.

Checking the ECTS is relatively easy and there will be minimal coolant loss. The ECTS is just below the EGR valve on the left side of the engine (drivers side). Open and close the coolant reservoir to depressurize the system. Remove the air intake to access the sensor. Disconnect the connector by pinching in the 2 sides to release the tabs and check that it is clean and not fouled like the photo above. With a shop rag in hand remove the ECTS using a deep well socket. Use the shop rag to catch the little bit of coolant that will seep out. If the tip is resin, it is good practice to replace it regardless of whether it has cracked or not. If you find the ECTS has a brass tip then it is likely still good but you can change it if you want since it is only about a $15 part.

If you find that the ECTS connector is fouled, cut it out of the wire harness and replace with a new one ensuring that you solder and shrink tube the wires rather than using crimp connectors. The circuit is pretty sensitive and crimp connections have proven to be a failure point.

If you find the sensor is brassed tipped, the connector looks good, the wires are not crimped and your operating temperature still reads too low then move on to checking the thermostat.

Thermostat

Thermostats also fail over time and when they do they leak (fail open) and this resulted in lower operating temperatures. The lower operating temperature also causes a rich condition affecting fuel mileage and carbon deposits. You may also experience poor heating from the HVAC system because the HVAC heater core pulls heat from the coolant.

Here's how to check if your thermostat is leaking. Starting with a cold engine, start the engine and put your hand on the the lower radiator hose just after the thermostat. If that hose gets warm after a minute or so then your thermostat is leaking.

The thermostat should stay closed until the coolant temperature reaches 185-188 f. It takes several minute of run time to reach this temperature. If the thermostat is leaking it is recommended to replace with a Stant 14279. A thermostat is about a $20 part however it's a bit more labour intensive to change than the ECTS as you have to drain the coolant to remove it.

You may note that some thermostats are spec'd at 185, 188 or 195; there is no standard within the industry. 185 or 188 is the crack open temperature and 195 is the fully open temperature. It is said that a 185 thermostat is better suited to a warm climate than the 188.

Some aftermarket thermostats include the housing and it has been noted that the housing is different than the OEM housing. Once changed the OEM style thermostat sold without a housing (like Stant) will not fit. It is recommended to keep the OEM housing for future use as they are hard to come by. If you are a subsequent owner of an S Series keep in mind that the previous owner of the car may have changed the thermostat and the Stant may not fit. Motorad thermostat housings are casted with Motorad on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen1 (1991-1995).jpg (12.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Gen2 (1996-1999).jpg (15.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Gen3 (2000-2002) Revised.jpg (17.1 KB, 78 views)

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 01-11-2019 at 10:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
SlayZombi

2001 SL

I'm going to clear up two somewhat ambiguous things that I had in my OP so that it's more clear what I changed and what I did for future searchers.

"changing both the bottom and top radiator hose AND the thermostat while I was at it. The thermostat said made in Germany so I imagine it was the original one from 18 years ago." I meant the OEM one already there was saying "Made in Germany".

"When I bought the car I had very strange issues with RPM fluctuations and the temp needle never went above a quarter. I changed it (it was indeed OEM and cracked at the tip)." What I meant here was that I changed the ECTS from the nylon one to the new brass model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I think the consensus is that your temperature is right on the money for a GEN3 gauge reading.

I interpreted your original post correctly.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
SlayZombi

2001 SL

So I didn't really take a look at the condition of the old thermostat when I took it out because I already knew for sure I was replacing it anyway. I did keep it in one of my drawers though so I'm able to show you what I think was the issue for why it would not get above the first tick on the temperature gauge. There is a pretty large split in the side of the seal, most likely letting coolant go where it is not supposed to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayZombi View Post
So I didn't really take a look at the condition of the old thermostat when I took it out because I already knew for sure I was replacing it anyway. I did keep it in one of my drawers though so I'm able to show you what I think was the issue for why it would not get above the first tick on the temperature gauge. There is a pretty large split in the side of the seal, most likely letting coolant go where it is not supposed to.

If you take a close look at that body of that thermostat, chances are that it is stamped 85 and SL. That's what all the originals confirmed as originals seem to be, despite claims otherwise.

I'm not sure if anyone has the FSM specs on gauge reading for that car, but it falls in line with the norm. With the later cars the gauge movement is so little that some (actual) temp change with a thermostat might not even show up on the gauge.

Depending on your replacement thermostat, you might be running a little warmer than the original, but with that much change on the gauge I think the original was leaking quite a bit anyway.

On my car the NAPA unit ran about 10 degrees warmer than the original. Easy to spot on the '95 gauges, might not even be noticed much on the later cars.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I believe you're correct since the FSM does corroborate original specs. Rockauto shows various t-stat ratings between 185F-188F. I'm guilty of specifying 195F t-stats in the past.

In the interests of anyone concerned about correct temperature displays from three generations of S-series with different temperature needle positions, A thermometer inserted into the coolant container at operating temperature or connecting a reader are the two best methods to correlate needle position to normal temps. No second guessing or misinformation.

Below are reprints for '01 (3rd gen) Saturns.

Important - The thermostat element should not be removed if the assembly requires testing.

Remove the thermostat element using the service tool provided with the replacement element.

Notice - The thermostat will not function correctly once it is contacted by oil. If oil is found in the cooling system, it must be flushed and the thermostat's cartridge replaced.

Inspect the thermostat components for damage, seat deterioration, etc.
Thermostat Inspection

Notice - Use extreme care and do not damage or scratch the machined aluminum surfaces. Leaks will result.

1-Check the valve opening temperature.
2-Insert a small paper clip or tag wire between the main poppet valve seat and housing.
3-Suspend the thermostat from the paper clip in a pan of water and gradually heat the water.
4-Check the water temperature immediately after the thermostat falls off a tag wire or small paper clip.
5-Replace the thermostat if it does not fall within specifications.
Specifications
*New - valve opening temperature: 84-88C (182-190F)
*Used - valve opening temperature: 83-89C (180-192F)
6-Check the full valve opening temperature.
7-Use a pair of calipers and check the distance between the thermostat bypass valve and the frame when the thermostat is cold.
8-Heat the thermostat in water until the main poppet valve fully opens.
9-Measure the distance between the frame and bypass valve.
10-Subtract the valve open reading from the close position measurement.
11-Check the water temperatures and measurements to make sure the
12-thermostat is opening at the proper temperatures and to the correct lift.
13-If the valve opening temperature is not within the specification, replace the thermostat.
Check the valve lift.
Specifications
*New - valve opening temperature: 100C (212F)
*Used - valve opening temperature: 105C (222F)
14-If the valve opening temperature is not within the specification, replace the thermostat.
Check the valve lift.
Specifications
*New - minimum valve lift: 7.5 mm (0.295 in)
*Used - minimum valve lift: 6 mm (0.236 in)
If the valve full opening temperature or lift are not within the specifications, replace the thermostat.
15-Check that the main poppet and bypass valve springs are tight when the thermostat is fully closed. If necessary, replace the thermostat assembly.
16-Check the main poppet rubber seat. If the rubber is deteriorated, replace the thermostat cartridge.
17-Check the thermostat for leakage around the main poppet and check the valves.
18-Install the lower radiator hose on the thermostat housing assembly and fill the hose with clean water.
19-Install a plug with an adapter in the other end of the hose.
20-Place the thermostat in a two quart container and apply five 35.5 kPa (5 psi) of shop air pressure.
21-Measure the amount of leakage from the assembly for 5 minutes.
Specifications
*New - maximum leakage after 5 minutes: 0.89 L (1.68 pts.)
*Used - maximum leakage after 5 minutes: 0.95 L (2 pts.)
If the leakage exceeds the specifications, replace the thermostat assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (100.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif(1).jpg (93.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif (2).jpg (90.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif (3).jpg (90.7 KB, 0 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
satsrbz
satsrbz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Coolant Temp - ECTS P0118 - rats

I had SES light come on today.
Temperature gauge stayed almost in the middle.
Code reader P0118.
Code reader said ECTS -40 F.
Looked up here and found ECTS likely needed to be replaced.
Open circuit.

I looked under the hood to see what I'd have to do.
Also watched Richpin video.

I saw one of the wires had been chewed through.
See pic

So, something else simple to check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6491.JPG (116.5 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satsrbz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satsrbz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satsrbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #13
SlayZombi

2001 SL
Default Re: Coolant Temp - ECTS P0118 - rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsrbz View Post
I had SES light come on today.
Temperature gauge stayed almost in the middle.
Code reader P0118.
Code reader said ECTS -40 F.
Looked up here and found ECTS likely needed to be replaced.
Open circuit.

I looked under the hood to see what I'd have to do.
Also watched Richpin video.

I saw one of the wires had been chewed through.
See pic

So, something else simple to check.
Thanks but when I first bought the car it was the first thing I did. Turns our it was the original nylon one and it was cracked, so I think the whole cooling system is original considering that I have now found 2 parts that are corresponding with the same look and specs of original manufactured parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
SlayZombi

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
If you take a close look at that body of that thermostat, chances are that it is stamped 85 and SL. That's what all the originals confirmed as originals seem to be, despite claims otherwise.

I'm not sure if anyone has the FSM specs on gauge reading for that car, but it falls in line with the norm. With the later cars the gauge movement is so little that some (actual) temp change with a thermostat might not even show up on the gauge.

Depending on your replacement thermostat, you might be running a little warmer than the original, but with that much change on the gauge I think the original was leaking quite a bit anyway.

On my car the NAPA unit ran about 10 degrees warmer than the original. Easy to spot on the '95 gauges, might not even be noticed much on the later cars.
The replacement I purchased was the Stant thermostat that appears to be highly recommended on this forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
The replacement I purchased was the Stant thermostat that appears to be highly recommended on this forum.
It's not unusual for the Stant to run a bit warmer than the factory originals. Unless the temp concerns you, it shouldn't be a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Your temp gauge is right where it needs to be, for reading correct engine temp. The Stant 14279 thermostat is rated at 188, and is the original equipment used by Saturn, at the factory.

They will run your engine, between 190-195, on a hot day. This will not hurt the engine in any way. 195-200F is the mark, on your gauge.

The picture for the 1991-1995 is incorrect. My 1995 SC2 runs exactly 2 needle-widths from the mark, with a 185F thermostat. On a cold day, my gauge sit a little lower, right about where yours does on the third gen. Doesn't seem to affect my performance, fuel economy, or heater blower air coming into the cabin.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #17
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
The Stant 14279 thermostat is rated at 188, and is the original equipment used by Saturn, at the factory.
The only confirmed new owners on this site have never pulled anything resembling the current day Stant thermostats out of a car when replacing the original. Repeated misinformation is still misinformation.

There are plenty of threads over the years stating that the Stant thermostats raised the operating temp of the cars they were put in when the owners replaced original parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
The picture for the 1991-1995 is incorrect. My 1995 SC2 runs exactly 2 needle-widths from the mark, with a 185F thermostat. On a cold day, my gauge sit a little lower, right about where yours does on the third gen. Doesn't seem to affect my performance, fuel economy, or heater blower air coming into the cabin.
This is good to know. I haven't had a GEN1 since 2010 and this was the only photo I could find on the internet. I wasn't completely sure it was the correct operating temperature and that is why I asked for feedback. Snap a photo of yours and send it to me and I'll make sure it makes it into the final copy that I'll post in the sticky. What brand thermostat are you running?

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:

The top photo shows the seal is cracked on this old T-Stat, which is why your coolant gauge was reading low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #20
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
This is good to know. I haven't had a GEN1 since 2010 and this was the only photo I could find on the internet. I wasn't completely sure it was the correct operating temperature and that is why I asked for feedback. Snap a photo of yours and send it to me and I'll make sure it makes it into the final copy that I'll post in the sticky. What brand thermostat are you running?
O'Reilly replacement, with the MotoRad housing. As soon as I get a photo, I will upload it.

And yes, when it sticks open, I get the dreaded "1/4-gauge" symptoms. Flooring the care to run it into high rpm, and cavitating the water pump seems to immediately correct the sticking thermostat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!