SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

Default P0300 code. 2006 Saturn Ion 2.2

So I got a P0300 code on my Ion. It was driving fine. Went to work and back. (Which is 30 miles total) I parked it, went inside my house to grab my gym bag to go work out, and suddenly out of the blue the engine light started flashing and car was driving terribly. Went immediately back home. My mechanic said to replace the coil pack first.

Thing is, last time he was over to fix something, (to replace the starter) he said I might have a leak in my head gasket from the exhaust smell. But i am assuming it's a really small one if there is because it took five months for the coolant in the reservoir to go all the way down. Engine has never run hot so the coolant has always worked fine as far as keeping the engine from overheating. Pretty sure I can fix something like that with some Blue Devil or Steel Seal or something. Fixed my Mazda Protege (which WAS overheating) that way and it had a pretty bad blown head gasket. I know a P0302 code would mean a plug or wire or fuel injector in cylinder 2 is probably the problem.

So basically, if the coil pack (or more specifically the ignition module) doesn't fix the problem (cos I find it hard to believe two or three fuel injectors could go bad at the same time) and the Ion was running perfectly literally two minutes before I went back out to go to the gym what do you guys think it could be? It does have a lot of miles on it (177,000) which makes me wonder "how far was the previous lady was driving it?" My 96 Mazda Protege had 235,000 miles on it before it finally bit the dust.

I guess my question is: what is the worst case scenario?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to merovie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help merovie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
merovie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0300 code. 2006 Saturn Ion 2.2

Worse case scenario is a broken engine, mechanically. Best case? Worn out spark plugs never replaced. It wouldn't hurt to remove them for examination and replace them first. If misfiring remains on good old or new plugs, there's a choice - either coil pack or ignition control module (the small aluminum box with fins sitting to one side of the coil pack). Most ignition issues seem to be about faulty ignition control modules on 2.2L engines used in several GM models. My scientific wild ass guess is ther icm sits on engines heat cycling all year long and may suffer from heat exhaustion as hot summers cook them while subzero temps freeze 'em. A true test of thermal capabilities to withstand the wide temperature range. Coil packs seem to hold up better. You can search threads about 2.2L engines with icm failures.

To be sure this is an ignition issue, several starting attempts without the engine firing up should flood all cylinders with fuel. Removing plugs and checking each one for fuel would verify injectors are operating along with the fuel pump pressurizing and supplying fuel to injectors with the ecm pulsing each injector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #3
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

The thing is, the engine does fire up. But the whole engine shakes and you can obviously tell it is misfiring. I could probably go out there right now and turn the key in the ignition and it will start. I could probably drive it to the corner store two blocks away, but it would drive like crud.

When I first was going to the gym the car wouldn't start, it refused to fire up, but I turned the key a few more times and it did. I guess what you're saying is I should have checked the cylinders THEN.

But after it started I drove about a quarter mile and realized there was something really wrong with the car, engine light flashing, etc, so I turned right back around and drove it home, where it has stayed. My mechanic came over with the OBD reader and got the P0300 code. It is at his advice that I have ordered a new coil pack (module and ignition coil) And of course I am going to put in new plugs.

I am just glad I didn't fry the catalytic converter.

If it is the timing chain, I am just gonna have him replace the head gasket, timing chain, and water pump all at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help merovie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The misfire is more likely an ICM/coil pack than anything... these cars done usually count the misfires individually but if it could you’d likely be missing on either 1 and 4 or 2 and 3... a dealer level tool can read the misfire counters and see if this is the case...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
merovie

My mechanic had a high-end OBD reader so maybe he knew exactly what it was. I didn't actually see the reading. I know the ones at autozone ONLY show the code. The higher-end ones show the code and probable cause.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Generic low cost readers are fine. Without translating error codes, all one has to do is plug in the error code and Google it. Many dedicated sites provide definitions so anyone can compare definitions with other places and not misled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
merovie

I did google "P0300." It certainly did not tell me exactly what was wrong or what was causing it. It just said it means "random misfire" and then a list of common and uncommon reasons for it. And three different sites gave three different answers for the MOST common (ignition coil/module/spark plugs / leak in an air/vacuum hose / faulty fuel injectors.)

This is why the internet kind of sucks sometimes. It has 5 different answers to 1 question a lot of times. An example is - is aspartame good for you or bad for you? Depending on the kind of person answering (a health food person or a scientific person) the health person will say it is evil and causes cancer and might set your head on fire and the scientific one will say the FDA has done extensive research and found aspartame perfectly safe. Same for sucralose. Or Malodextrin (which they mix with stevia.)

Personally I don't like the taste of aspartame and prefer raw stevia or sucralose, but that's not the point. I have often found that taking advice from a google search is going to be confusing.

That is why I came specifically to the Saturn Ion forum, because I was pretty sure I would get an answer that's more accurate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It can be confusing when searching the internet for info and separating false info from facts. Good sites like https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/, https://www.aa1car.com, http://www.dtcsearch.com, https://actron.com/code-lookup, are informative. Serious diyers will buy service manuals or subscribe to alldata or Mitchell for online access to specific model, year, engine and xmission. Every OBD II error code specific to a model will have more in-depth detailed info than third party sites. Your Ion P0300 error code is six pages from the service manual and links to other pages - a general explanation with a checklist written similar to flowcharts asks yes/no questions with steps to a link or moving down the itemized list. In effect, the basic P0300 error code branches to other areas in a service manual in a logical way no third party site can describe since they may not be GM or Saturn specific. Generic information is given and left to individuals to read between the lines. Service manuals are specific but work off the same general list to point to wiring, sensors, etc. with GM techs in mind. Free info only goes so far. Paying for specific info goes beyond general info. Repair shops may use alldata or Mitchell for every vehicle that comes into their service bay and pass on costs for access to customers. Expertise costs money. Time is money for repair shops. Diyers have all the time at home to repair problems to save on repair costs.

P0300 general misfire is a blanket error code as the ecm/pcm detects misfires on all cylinders. Individual cylinder misfire would be P0304 cylinder #4 misfire. This occurred to me recently for my V6 engine. Two cylinder banks, two ignition coil packs. I replaced the 246 ign coil pack to correct cylinder #4 misfire. My engine doesn't have individual coils over each spark plug. Your P300 covers a general area to include the coil pack, icm, spark plugs, timing issue, lower compression, low fuel pressure, as well as possible issues with sensors related to all cylinders misfiring - the ecm/pcm, map sensor and throttle body. Specific cylinder misfire would narrow the problems down to the individual spark plug, injector, coil pack and icm, burned exhaust valve or worn/damaged piston rings. If you see a pattern from these descriptions, general misfires are vastly different from single cylinder misfires. This is advanced knowledge of EFI systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
Btheshadow
Btheshadow is on a distinguished road

i started with the P0300 code changed my ICM ( The silver box on the Coil pack) had warranty on it from the last time it went out and the car changed in how it ran drove it around the block and it stalled figured got a bad ICM its happened before this is the cars 4th ICM so took it back had em order another and replaced got a new code now says P0340 CamShaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 Or Single sensor) so now im not sure what to change because it doesn't have a camshaft position sensor

90% of the ICM for the ecotechs go bad just so y'all know its usually the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Btheshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Btheshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Btheshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #10
merovie

Happy Re: P0300 code. 2006 Saturn Ion 2.2

I got my ignition module, put it on myself,and that fixed the problem. Except I discovered later there was small packet in there I seemed to have missed. It consisted of a yellow o-ring, (I only know that because my mechanic told me over the phone that's what it was), some small plastic electronic piece, and what appears to be a baggie of cocaine. Where does the o-ring go specifically, what is the additional plastic piece, and if I snort the white powder will it get me high or is it used for something else?
Attached Images
File Type: png o ring.png (103.4 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!