SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default New Rear Rotors and Pads

I figured this would be an easy job, but again I stand corrected. 19 mm Caliper bolts are not moving nor is the hard brake line and I don't want to break it. Any suggestions? I am without air tools for this repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: New Rear Rotors and Pads

Are you aware caliper bolts are factory loctited to prevent them from loosening? 59ft-lbs for tightening, probably more to remove. I use a box wrench and a heavy rubber mallet to loosen them otherwise I position myself for pulling on the wrench hard to loosen them. 12ft-lbs for brake lines, likely more since brake fluid absorbs moisture and allows steel to corrode, setting up a mechanical equivalent of loctite. If you don't have to disconnect brake lines, don't. Its going to be difficult enough to break loose bleed screws if you bleed brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The only suggestions I can offer are;

1) - Clean down the bolt and brake connection area as best you can and use some PB Blaster over a day or so. That may help with any loosening.

2) Use a breaker bar on the wrench sockets to try and loosen the caliper bolt.

3) For the brake pipe connection are you using a proper brake Flare wrench?

4) You can also try using heat. Whilst oxy-acetylene will heat them up quickly, DIY's like us can probably only use a propane torch. I had cause to use one for some hard to come off bolts at the back end of my son's L300. Lowe's sell a propane torch with bottle for about $12.00 or so.

If you are without air tools, I can recommend an electric impact wrench that Harbor Freight do. It's normally around $40.00, but with a 20% coupon I got it for a little over $30.00. I was sceptical if an electric impact wrench could be up to the job, but it's been a gem. It will loosen anything you care to throw at it. I wasn't going to invest $150.00+ in a compressor + tools, when it did the job for far less.

Failing all these, the only other suggestion is to bite the bullet and take it into a local trusted garage and either get them to do the job OR if possible, see if they can do the loosening job for you, then you do the rest. Depends on how well you know the garage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's what I did. I seriously cranked on the bolts and they didn't move so that played a huge roll in deciding pads are good enough for now. I elected to only swap out the pads and leave everything else in place until next summer. The pins were is rough shape, but I think they will be fine for a few months. Neither pair of shoes had the spring installed. Well, one side did, but it crumbled when I pulled the shoes. The rotors were worn, but worn evenly without any major groves. It's just too cold to be tackling a job like this in the Wisconsin winter! At least the grinding is over with. I'll try to find new pins and springs (if available) and install the rotors and new pads this summer. This being the back brakes, maybe it doesn't matter much. The fronts are brand new.

The car brakes straight and clean with no noise. I might have just gotten lucky.

Thanks for the ideas...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
02 LW300
02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Back brakes really donít do too much so next summer will be fine. I replaced one rear rotor on my car this last year because it had some runnout.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is online now   Reply With Quote