SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
jaybird658
jaybird658 is on a distinguished road

Default 07 Aura XR Gauge Panel

I have a 07 Aura with 62000 miles. The gauge cluster lights for the fuel and temp gauges and all of the pointers have not been illuminating for a while. After reading an older thread on this forum I decided to send the cluster out to Tanin auto electronix for repair. All lights and pointers now illuminated.
Almost immediately after I reinstalled the gauges I noticed that the tach and speedometer do not read properly. The tach will work properly for no more than a minute and then it will drift down to a value of about 1/2 or less of the value that I anticipate reading. The speedometer works properly most of the time but it can read high or low. My wife reported going 120 in a 35. The other day I was going 20 in a 40.
Has any one had similar problems? Is this a stepper motor issue? Are stepper motors available? I don't really want to send out the gauge cluster again. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaybird658's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaybird658 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaybird658 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 07 Aura XR Gauge Panel

The symptoms sound like a stepper issue but could possibly be the driver circuit.
They are not the X27.168 stepper motor you see all over the internet.
I took the back off my old one and took a pic of the motor.
The stepper motor number on the Aura cluster is 11367211
A quick search didn't get any hits.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Another option $152.86
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...uster-20791621

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
jaybird658

Thank you for your reply. I do have an update. After several calls to Tanin Automotive they have agreed to repair my gauge cluster again under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jaybird658 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
jaybird658

My next Question is can I operate the car without the gauge cluster?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

sure, you could drive it without gauges just pay attention to noises, speed. have gas...and hope other things don't fo wrong. not a cheap fix either since a new cluster has to get the tech ii treatment at the deaer. no wonder GM gets a bailout then closes plants anyway-poor products during that particular era.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird658 View Post
My next Question is can I operate the car without the gauge cluster?
I've done it. I set an app up on my phone to give me speed indication while driving.
I have a heads up display connected to my OBD port now, speed and a couple of other parameters are displayed on the windshield now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtphoto View Post
sure, you could drive it without gauges just pay attention to noises, speed. have gas...and hope other things don't fo wrong. not a cheap fix either since a new cluster has to get the tech ii treatment at the deaer. no wonder GM gets a bailout then closes plants anyway-poor products during that particular era.
These clusters don't need Tech II. But a dealer will likely tell you they do. $$$

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
These clusters don't need Tech II. But a dealer will likely tell you they do. $$$
I have never had to replace a cluster on this 07 XR, but I have read for YEARS that a new cluster (and radio too!) need to have a tech II to get it matched to the vin to function-where is the info that this is not necessary?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtphoto View Post
I have never had to replace a cluster on this 07 XR, but I have read for YEARS that a new cluster (and radio too!) need to have a tech II to get it matched to the vin to function-where is the info that this is not necessary?
You are right about the Radio but not the cluster. Aura cluster gets VIN locked after 256 ignition cycles.
The following is from this archived thread...I confirmed with local dealer and Specmo, a GM Electronic Service Center.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/arc.../t-170304.html

08-06-2011, 05:23 AM
So it looks as if I have to take this into a dealership that has a Tech 2, which will most-likely be my local Chevy dealership.

One thing that I just don't understand is why the odometer reading on the new cluster won't budge! It just stays put at 52,946. Must be some sort of security feature. I mean, it's so easy to rip a cluster out and throw in a new one, I guess GM had to safeguard themselves somehow...

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I'll keep you posted when I get this sorted out. I'm letting my sister drive the car to Toronto for the week, so it might not be until the following week.

I found the answer to that question. The IPCs are VIN-locked. I am sorry I did not know that before you made your purchase. I am hoping the Tech 2 can open the VIN lock, but I honestly don't know if it can.
There is a redundant system that maintains the odometer in both the BCM & the IPC on this model. The BCM keeps the count but the IPC remembers the last count received. Unfortunately, GM does not maintain a standard method across models. Some models maintain the odometer in just the BCM, others in just the IPC. Nothing is simple anymore with computer control. Nothing can be assumed. Maybe it's not even consistent between Aura model years (which would make the cheese even more binding).

#PIC4554A: Swapping Clusters / Mileage Will Not Accumulate - keywords BCM counter inop inoperative IP IPC increase instrument locked MEC miles odo odometer swap trip - (Nov 12, 2008)

Subject: Swapping Clusters/Mileage will NOT Accumulate

Models: 2007 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4554.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
In the cluster there is a component called a MEC (Manufacturing Enable Counter) that counts down from 256 to 0 and reduces 1 count per ignition cycle. When the counter gets to 0 the cluster is "Locked" and therefore whatever VIN is in the cluster at that time remains and it is locked. When you put a locked cluster into another vehicle the trip mileage will accumulate and roll over at 999.9 but the mileage on the permanent odometer will not increase. The mileage however, is stored in the BCM and when the correct cluster is put back into the vehicle the mileage should read correctly.

Note: Production (Fairfax) made a recent change to set this MEC to 0 when it passes DVT. Therefore when a car gets to the dealership and you swap a cluster (for testing purposes) it will not work correctly.

Recommendation/Instructions:
While it is not recommended, a cluster may be swapped from another vehicle. You need to drive the vehicle over 1 mile to verify that the regular odometer will increase. If it increases then cluster will work in vehicle. If however, the mileage doesn't increase (remember that trip odometer will increase) then cluster is been locked (MEC = 0) and will not work in the vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!