SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
AstraBrad
AstraBrad is on a distinguished road

Default Cannot plug ignition coil plug back in!

Hey everyone,

I was having misfires with my Astra as many people have and this time went and replaced my spark plugs and ordered a new ignition coil. The spark plugs seems to fix the issue for the most part. When my new ignition coil came it I decided to complete my fixes and change that. Except that this time when I unplugged the electrical connection to the ignition coil I noticed more red on it than usual. I proceeded with the ignition coil change and when I went to plug the electrical connector back in it would not plug all the way in.

I tried with my old coil and had the same issue.

After looking at it, it looks as if the red insert has popped out a bit and that's what's preventing me from plugging it back in.

I've unplugged this connector maybe a dozen times and this is the first time I've seen this. Is there a good way for me to fix this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraBrad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraBrad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
AstraBrad
AstraBrad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cannot plug ignition coil plug back in!

Update: completely pulled out the red piece and put some electrical tape around the connector and I was able to plug it back in. The Astra starts again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraBrad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraBrad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I had a similar issue when replacing the coil in mine a couple weeks ago. It didn't want to fit back together properly and I thought I'd lost my mind for a minute because it's pretty straightforward. After a little fiddling and cursing I noticed that the clip portion of the connector wasn't fixed in position and I just had to slide it forward a little in order to get everything to click into place. I'm very familiar with GM connectors and these are a little different. Not bad, just different. Glad you got her rolling again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

In all, I have purchased four of the coil-over packs for my vehicle. Except for one, they have all been either ACDelco, whether made in Mexico, the USA, or Europe.

The stray item was made in the Czech Republic and I use it for diagnostic purposes. It works fine, but I do not trust it for longevity. Having it on hand allows me to pop it in and determine whether I have a coil-over pack problem, or if I need to start considering injector problems. Some of the codes coincide.

The European ACDelco product was a dud, which leave the Hecho en Mexico pair (around $75) that have worked out. When I bought the car used and I spent some time on this forum, the most notable thing I found I needed to be ready for is replacement of this part, which I did immediately so I would not have to experience being on the side of the road and then paying $370 at the dealership out of desperation. The first replacement lasted 50K miles. When it failed, in when the Czech until I could get another de Mexico in there.

So even for me, this is a convoluted story. When I removed the initial item, I noticed the same fit issue complained about here. The seal or gasket provided with the replacement product seemed the culprit, and is so no matter the origin of the coil-over pack. When I first noted this, I decided to keep the seal/gasket from the original that came with the car. It was much more supple and has allowed an easy "click" every time connecting. When inspecting it last month, it appeared and felt the same as when I first handled it. The seal/gasket/spacer that came with the Czech part was a piece of stiff red plastic that provided some real pressure and tightness I could envision cracking the wiring connector over time. It also left open space for dust to infiltrate.

So if you have the lighter colored and more supple spacer on hand, consider keeping it in place with any replacement, or you will be looking at taping like the gentleman above has done. When it comes to this kind of seal, remember the Space Shuttle, supple is better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote