SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
gas3987
gas3987 is on a distinguished road

Default TAAT sprag clutch part number and where to buy

So I've done some testing to the 'ol Saturn, and I'm trying to find the correct part number for the 1st gear sprag clutch. I've come upon two, and was hoping someone could clarify it for me.

FWIW, it's a 1999 SL2, had it once not move initially during a cold start. Hasn't done it since on multiple cold occasions since. I did, however, do an overnight cold (below freezing) test and all the pressures were fantastic based upon multiple threads I found here on the topic.

One number is 21001594 as found here:
http://www.transpartsdirect.com/shop...1-up-21001594/

The other is 21003314 as found here:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184798

Depending on what Google or forum searches I do.

Just wondering if these are two numbers for the same part that may have changed over time or if they only fit certain years/transmissions.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gas3987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gas3987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gas3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: TAAT sprag clutch part number and where to buy

21003314 is the good number. Depending on the year and type of the transmission this can be much more involved than just a sprag clutch replacement.

Changing to a full synthetic trans fluid may solve the issue without opening up the transmission.

I think with the 99 MP-7 trans it is a drop in. Check your transmission year though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
gas3987

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
21003314 is the good number. Depending on the year and type of the transmission this can be much more involved than just a sprag clutch replacement.

Changing to a full synthetic trans fluid may solve the issue without opening up the transmission.

I think with the 99 MP-7 trans it is a drop in. Check your transmission year though.
Thanks OldNuc, it has had a steady diet of Synthetic ATF for as long as I have records. As I mentioned, the pressure test appears to be good. I believe I do have the MP7 last time I checked but I'll have to verify. Everything else has been in order. It has actually driven fine since the one day it acted up, which was one day that it sat out in the cold and it was really windy.

As to the part numbers, what makes that one good, is it the newer one or could both numbers work? Reason I ask is multiple diagrams I have downloaded point to the 1594 but then there is the 3314 which you said is correct.

Thanks a bunch for help here. Appreciate you still being so involved on the forum!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gas3987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Old superseded number is being commonly used in aftermarket sales. The 21003314 is the current number. You need to identify BOTH the year AND type of your transmission as the remaining parts requiring update-replacement will make the cost prohibitive IF you can even find the parts. As this only happened once I would not touch it. Both the year and type are marked on the trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
gas3987

Quote:
Old superseded number is being commonly used in aftermarket sales. The 21003314 is the current number. You need to identify BOTH the year AND type of your transmission as the remaining parts requiring update-replacement will make the cost prohibitive IF you can even find the parts. As this only happened once I would not touch it. Both the year and type are marked on the trans.
Sounds good, I'll be keeping an eye on it and monitoring everything closely before any surgery.

What would be different from year to year about this sprag? I found a downloadable ATSG TAAAT manual and scrolled through the pages and there wasn't anything in that area that would indicate something different on this part from year to year. You said "drop in" in a previous post - is that in reference to this part, as in it's a different installation over the years?

FWIW I just checked and it says XMP71156A0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are different sized bits in that transmission and they are incompatible year to year without replacing several associated parts. This information lives in the parts book and the TAAT manuals make the stupid assumption that you have access to a parts book or parts department info and are not mixing parts from different years. You must determine the year and the trans type before digging inside of it. You will find that once the TAAT is opened up it becomes pandora's Box for most people. The low cost fix is a high quality rebuilt valve body and if that does not fix it then a trans swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
gas3987

Any idea how this aftermarket bearing fits without the plastic retainer that's built into the original? Everyone I've talked to say the little metal tabs suffice but I'm not sure.

FWIW the input nut was not as tight as it should be, so I'll be Loctite and re torquing that while I'm in here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1681.jpg (146.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190125-164858.jpg (128.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190125-164936.jpg (142.3 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Same way the original worked. The cage is a radial spacer and not a retainer once installed. The retainer function is a feature to ease assembly with pre-selected size rollers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
gas3987

Quote:
Same way the original worked. The cage is a radial spacer and not a retainer once installed. The retainer function is a feature to ease assembly with pre-selected size rollers.
Gotcha, so I can carefully squeeze the new one back in? My worry is it could contact something else without it. Sorry for the double questions but I have to ask when part style changes some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The bearing should basically drop into the same space the original occupied and the parts turn with no interference and binding/rubbing. When doing something like this be prepared for the supposed replacement really is not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
gas3987

Quote:
The bearing should basically drop into the same space the original occupied and the parts turn with no interference and binding/rubbing. When doing something like this be prepared for the supposed replacement really is not.
I'm seeing what you mean quickly!

See final photo, if this looks good and will stay put I'll put it together. It locks/freewheels in the proper directions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190126-070851.jpg (143.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

1998-2002 MP7 transmissions are a direct drop-in replacement.

1995-1997 will also work, BUT there are two differences:

Final Drive Gear Ratio & valve body pan/gasket

And this may cause issues with the PCM, with the different final drive ratio

The year of your transmission can be located, on the casting of the bell housing, between the upper two mounting bolts to the engine block.

There will be a stamping, in the bell housing of the transmission.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote