SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

Default question on correct torque wrenching procedure

hi sages- this question is for those who have experience using a torque wrench properly when tightening the castellated nut on the front axle shaft. this is the nut through which there is a cotter pin to prevent it from turning. you may remember a few weeks ago I did a front wheel bearing r and r on my 2001 Saturn L100 and started a thread. when you strong arm the torque wrench on this nut, how do you block wheel and rotor best , to avoid damaging the internal trans parts? should the wheel be off and you stop the hub from turning by blocking the hub lugs with a crow bar. I am concerned about transferring that torque force to the trans through the axle shaft. doing it with the wheel on and having the tire on the ground and chocked would stop it from turning but not sure this would allow the wheel and hub to be pushed in sufficiently . probably an extremely simply answer to this . thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: question on correct torque wrenching procedure

Bob,

I followed the Haynes Manual which states the wheel should be on the ground when doing the tightening of the hub nut. That way the weight of the vehicle is limiting drive shaft movement.

Here's what the Haynes Manual states. I followed this when I did my transmission repair and had to remove, then reinstall the drive shaft....

1) Install the wheel and lug nuts then LOWER to the ground (I removed the pop out Saturn badge on the wheel so I had access to the hub nut)

Torque Tightening Procedure as per Haynes Manual (REMEMBER WHEEL IS ON THE GROUND)

Step 1: Tighten to 74 to 118 ft lbs/100 to 180 Nm

Step 2: Loosen nut until it's able to turn by hand

Step 3: Tighten to 15 ft lbs/20 Nm

Step 4: Turn additional 90 degrees

After Step 4, you would install your cotter pin.

You would then need to raise the wheel and remove in order to reinstall the pop out Saturn badge.

Hope that helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is on a distinguished road

Default Re: question on correct torque wrenching procedure

hi floridas- appreciate your response. on reflection thought torqueing the nut with the wheel on and the wheel lowered would cause the axle shaft to draw out a bit to compensate for steering movement when eluding coppers on tobacco road. will use your instructions. the axle does telescope a bit. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote