SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
Default Bad Quality or Fake EGR Valve on eBay

I recently purchased a new EGR valve from an eBay seller named autopartszone2008. The EGR valve was the cheapest one on eBay for my 1999 Saturn SL1. The base of the EGR valve is painted to look like stainless steel but isn't steel. The area near one bolt cracked after less than one week, revealing a dark material under the silver paint. The EGR valve apparently ignores scan tool commands to open 100%, which would normally cause my engine to run rough and to stop cranking with the original EGR valve. I have reinstalled my original EGR valve after cleaning it. So, at best, the EGR valve from eBay appears to act as a dumb EGR valve with a weak base. At worst, the EGR valve from eBay is an elaborate fake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #2
edlee

1999 SL1
Default Re: Bad Quality or Fake EGR Valve on eBay

I uploaded a photo of the bad EGR valve to my photos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #3
edlee

1999 SL1

The broken piece of the EGR valve contains iron, since it sticks to a magnet.

For some reason, the photo did not appear in my previous post. I will try to post the picture again:

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=57752

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #4
SlayZombi
SlayZombi will become famous soon enough

2001 SL

That seems to be a lot of effort and manufacturing to make it appear REAL if it was supposed to be a counterfeit of some sort. That plus shipping charge on what I imagine is probably $40 you spent makes me think this would not be very lucrative for the seller. I highly doubt it is a purposeful fake but more likely than not just a defect on low-quality parts. I suggest RockAuto next time. Good parts (never had a problem) for usually $20 or so off of what you would find at AutoZone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is a compressed powder casting process and it was done at too low of a temperature. The aftermarket electric EGR valves for Saturn are of dubious quality and either SMP or BWD is the only one that I have found which has a chance of being reliable. Many will leak right out of the box so any replacement must be bench tested for pintle leakage. This is a air pressure test.

Have posted this in the past how to perform this test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
edlee

1999 SL1

The eBay EGR valve cost was $27.96. The EGR valve must have been manufactured in China for it to be profitable for someone to sell at that price. The maker copied the external form very well but did not replicate the electronic behavior, so I wonder how this EGR valve works at all when it does not obey an electronic command to open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It doesn't. Poor quality control but some actually work. This SMP valve usually works:
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...rds=Saturn+EGR

Only $43 if you have a Prime account.

Collecting on the warranty if bad can be an issue if dealing through Amazon but this is a 60.00 part at the FLAPS unless you get them to price match.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
edlee

1999 SL1

Thanks for the information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

SMP and BWD are from the same place so O'Reilly sells BWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
shim bucket
shim bucket has a spectacular aura aboutshim bucket has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

I use Rock Auto for parts and Ill use them for this reference. The cheapest I will buy for a new part is whatever the cheapest RA offers. That being said I dont buy the cheapest but for the sake of this topic- I would not recommend a part cheaper than what RA offers. I know Ebay has new parts- unheard of brands that are AMAZINGLY LOW PRICED. I stay away from said parts even though I know how important cost is. STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS EGV544T is RAs low cost offering for your car at $46.. It stands out from their other low cost units as the red heart denotes that they sell alot of that specific part. So that part number is the cheapest I would be willing to go- that part or one suggested by a tech like OldNuc. (My 2 cents worth)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shim bucket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shim bucket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shim bucket is offline   Reply With Quote