SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
l200saturn123
l200saturn123 is on a distinguished road

Attention P0711 p0732 fun!...Need opinions

Hoping to get some assistance on two codes. I recently replaced the trans temp sensor on a 02 saturn sl2 about 3 months ago with 90k miles. Car was running beautiful without any other issues.

Come this month, I decide to let a family member use it(this always happens) and the car goes to hell. I am now getting a p0732(gear ratio 2 error)(reverse will very slowly back back when gas is applied, but will stay even when shifted unlike before when it would reverse on the dime. The p0711 also seems to been present at the same time as the p0732. I am also expiriencing a sort of dragging tire sensation most noticeable on the drivers left tire. In drive, it runs ok but somewhat stiff. All gears seems to work fine except shifting into reverse. Tranny oil levels seem ok and not dark.

Could this be the input shaft nut everyone discusses? Taat sensor? Valve body? Or a solenoid? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l200saturn123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l200saturn123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l200saturn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: P0711 p0732 fun!...Need opinions

How long since the transmission fluid and filter were replaced with Dexron III?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

In addition to fluid and filter condition mentioned,

Is the ECTS brass?

Since you've changed the TTS, I would also first check both sensors and connectors on the front of the transmission for fluid contamination.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

The 2002 year came from the factory with brass ECTS, unless somehow the head has been replaced (doubt it with 90K on the car) with an older head.
I believe that the brass one was put on some of the late 2001 cars too, but I don't know exactly which VIN started getting the upgraded brass one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

You're right. I missed the year. ECTS change was mid-year 2001.

I'd look at the TTS and TSS and their corresponding connectors to see if transmission fluid is present, assuming the P0711 is not an old code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
l200saturn123
l200saturn123 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies. The tranny oil was changed about a year ago and looks great. Dextron 3 was used. I also changed the initial tranny sensor that came up in error with a brass one from duralast(the one removed was brass as well).

I suspect no major transmission damage at the moment, but do feel a tire skip(driver front side) and loss of power from before. I also get a churning/grind noise when turning the wheel, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Could this be a sign of the input shaft nut going bad? p0732

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l200saturn123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l200saturn123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l200saturn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #7
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

My copy of the field service manual indicates that P0711 is set when the car has completed 2 warm up cycles and the transmission fluid is more than 9 degrees C, 16 degrees F, higher than the intake air temperature sensor while the intake air temperature sensor and engine coolant temperature are within 6 degrees C, 10 degrees F, of each other and the engine coolant has cooled to below 30 degrees C, 80 degrees F, after being above 71 degrees C, 160 degrees F. The field service manual states in bold letters:

NOTICE: Visually inspect the transaxle fluid temperature, ECT [engine coolant temperature sensor] and IAT [intake air temperature sensor] wires for evidence of shorts to battery/ignition voltage. Shorts to battery/ignition voltage will skew the sensor's resistance and cause DTC P0710 and P0711 to set.

My guess is that the transmission fluid needs to be changed to get some of the metal shavings out. The metal shavings look like black toothpaste when they stick to the coil of a transmission solenoid and cause the solenoid to malfunction. It might also be a good time to change the transmission filter, which is a cylindrical thing on the side of the transmission facing the front of the car. The metal shavings can also increase friction and increase the transmission fluid temperature. If you have a multimeter, you can test the resistance between the valve body pins after taking off the valve body wiring harness with a 7mm or 8mm socket or wrench. I don't remember the exact size of the bolt on the valve body wiring harness. The bolt doesn't come out. You just need to get the bolt loose. The resistances between pairs of pins should be around 4.5 Ohms but vary with temperature. These are the pins you will see in the transmission valve body when leaning over the battery from the driver's side of the car:

T22LL
T4433

T represents the pins of the Torque Converter Clutch. L represents the pins of the line pressure control solenoid. 2 represents the pins of the 2nd gear solenoid. 3 represents the pins of the 3rd gear solenoid. 4 represents the pins of the 4th gear solenoid. Measuring the resistances between these pins takes much less time than disassembling the valve body and measuring the resistances on the individual solenoid terminals.

You might have to clean or replace one of the transmission solenoids if the resistance between its pins is significantly different from the other solenoids. A user named tspoof once posted a video on how to access the Saturn SL1 transmission solenoids on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSSj_2eHUY

When you face the transmission valve body from the front of the car, the solenoids are roughly arranged like:

3 4
T
L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by l200saturn123 View Post
Could this be a sign of the input shaft nut going bad? p0732
If you are losing Reverse with a P0732, it is probably that Nut.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote