SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2018, 02:34 AM   #1
Bud Tierney
Bud Tierney is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 LWi Tailgate lock Question

Per trouble with remote lock/unlock (finally managed to unlock with remote); am running with security off, locking/unlocking manually with key---but can't figure out how to lock tailgate manually...
Put in key, opens---push in button, opens--tried partial key insert, tried turning button, no turning to left...(!??!)
I do seem to recall locking tailgate manually several years ago, but all I remember is the "oh, that's how it works" feeling...
What'm I doing wrong or not right???
Again, any comments appreciated...
I didn't think to try completely disabling security...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bud Tierney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bud Tierney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bud Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2000 LWi Tailgate lock Question

I never had the need to lock my wagon trunk lid with the key. However, it can be locked by manually pushing the door lock button on the driver's door or the trunk locks automatically when the transmission is placed in drive.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Manually locking trunks or tailgates - close them. If your tailgate doesn't automatically latch when closing it, the latch is either broken or tailgate is misaligned. Trunk and tailgates do not require remote or manual locking. The trunk/tailgate release button inside the car or remote unlocks them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Manually locking trunks or tailgates - close them. If your tailgate doesn't automatically latch when closing it, the latch is either broken or tailgate is misaligned. Trunk and tailgates do not require remote or manual locking. The trunk/tailgate release button inside the car or remote unlocks them.
^^^ Partially correct. The wagon Does not have a tailgate lock/unlock button inside the car. The sedan does have a trunk lock/unlock as part of the instrument panel dimmer switch. The wagon does not have this.

When the tailgate on a wagon is closed, it does not lock until the transmission is placed in drive or the lock button on the driver's door is activated.

I am not aware of a way to lock the tailgate with just the key on a wagon. Unlock YES...but not lock. Maybe I'm wrong on this....just never had the need.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you for the correction. Whether trunk or tailgate, they all 'lock', latch to ensure they don't open. The same for doors. It's just a mechanical door latch mechanism to capture the door striker with a hook then rotate it to lock position. Opening is either remote, door/trunk lock switches or ign key (manually releasing the trunk/tailgate).

I've never heard of any trunk out tailgate needing locking once trunk or tailgate are closed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Bud Tierney

My apologies for late update on this; got tangled in holiday prep...
First, many thxx for replies...
Second, once I stopped thinking of this as a complex electronic problem, but as a mechanical problem, the solution was glaringly obvious, as RB hinted above...(excuse: just turned 87; thinking slowing along with everything else)...
Exit car; hold drivers door open; hit doorlock button, all locks engage; manually unlock open drivers door, close drivers door, lock with key=trunk locked with security off...
Trunk can be opened with key by holding key fully right, but only did once and did not try to close for fear of upsetting BCM etc......to open trunk now I open drivers door, hit main unlock button, unlock all...
Similarly may be able to close open but locked drivers door by simply closing, but, again, feared upsetting BCM or whatever connected...
Should have new replacement remote in week or so..
Again, many thxx to all...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bud Tierney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm curious: did you peruse the L-Series Owner's Handbook at some point in search of an answer to your problem?

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:03 AM   #8
Bud Tierney

Yes, Owners Handbook cprt 1999, SL5 00001K First Ed...
Best as I recall, looked for info on keys, remote, locks, lock systems and security systems...may've been other subjects I'm not remembering...
If there was something I missed probably missed it completely or didn't understand it applied (not unusual)...
I do remember when first looking for directions to replace remote battery several years ago couldn't ind it in index; found them in the remote section, and later discovered it listed in the "battery" section among items referring to the 12V battery...(!??!)...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
......Opening is either remote, door/trunk lock switches or ign key (manually releasing the trunk/tailgate).

I've never heard of any trunk out tailgate needing locking once trunk or tailgate are closed.
That's right. According to the 2000 L-Series Owner's Handbook, the "liftgate" on the wagon only unlocks as described above: manually with a key, or from the RKE fob using the "car" symbol (trunk or liftgate release). It is not unlocked or locked by using the switches at the front doors (this may have changed in later model years - I have no way of knowing). There is no discussion of how to lock the liftgate which means that by default the liftgate is locked any time it is closed. It's just the same as a trunk lid in that regard.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tierney View Post
Yes, Owners Handbook cprt 1999, SL5 00001K First Ed...
Best as I recall, looked for info on keys, remote, locks, lock systems and security systems...may've been other subjects I'm not remembering...
If there was something I missed probably missed it completely or didn't understand it applied (not unusual)...
I do remember when first looking for directions to replace remote battery several years ago couldn't ind it in index; found them in the remote section, and later discovered it listed in the "battery" section among items referring to the 12V battery...(!??!)...
Please forgive me if I what I write may seem disrespectful. I have no such intention whatsoever. Based on my reading of the same owner's handbook - our cars are from the same model year - it seems to me that you might not have been careful about how you read through the information presented. The handbook says nothing about how to lock the liftgate on the wagon. That omission was the first clue. What is discussed is how to unlock it - clue #2. See my reply in post no. 9.

Regarding the RKE fob's battery - as I'm sure you recognized later - that information followed immediately after the pages discussing its use and functions.

Thank you for the update here - it really helps!! Please keep us updated on the usage of the remote and if it's functioning normally.

Oh yes...welcome to SaturnFans, Bud Tierney!

Last edited by pierrot; 11-27-2018 at 12:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
rb6667
Advanced Member

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
That's right. According to the 2000 L-Series Owner's Handbook, the "liftgate" on the wagon only unlocks as described above: manually with a key, or from the RKE fob using the "car" symbol (trunk or liftgate release). It is not unlocked or locked by using the switches at the front doors (this may have changed in later model years - I have no way of knowing). There is no discussion of how to lock the liftgate which means that by default the liftgate is locked any time it is closed. It's just the same as a trunk lid in that regard.
^^^ Based on my past ownership of a 2002 wagon and now 3- 2004 wagons, the wagon liftgate is UNLOCKED at all times Until..........

The car is started and placed in reverse or any forward gear

The door lock button on the driver's or passenger's door is activated

The remote is used to lock the vehicle.

Said another way, you can open and close the tailgate as many times as you want and it will stay UNLOCKED Until one of the above actions is taken. The locking is accomplished by the electric lock actuator in the tailgate.

It is possible that the 2000,2001 & 2003 model years do not operate like this since I have no 1st hand knowledge on these years. However, my guess is that the owner's manual is just lacking on complete and valid information in this regard.

Possibly some other wagon owners can chime in to confirm the locking operation on model years 2000, 2001 and 2003.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

rb6667, is there an outside handle on the liftgate by which to open it on your wagons?

Last edited by pierrot; 11-27-2018 at 03:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #13
rb6667
Advanced Member

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
rb6667, is there an outside handle on the liftgate by which to open it on your wagons?
^^^ Yes, all years of the wagons have a outside handle and lock button which has a slot for the key. To open the tailgate, you just push the round button in the center of the handle. No key required to to this. The electric actuator unlocks the tailgate.

This assumes the vehicle has the battery connected

Has not been placed in any gear with the ignition switched to the run position or engine started

Door lock buttons have not been activated.

Remote has not been used to lock vehicle.

The key opens the tailgate lock by mechanical means. Battery does not have to be connected to open tailgate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagon tailgate.jpg (53.7 KB, 5 views)

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!