SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Pete28
Pete28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Headlight assembly question 98 sl2

Hey folks hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. So the repairs and upgrades to my daughters 98 sl2 continue. It runs like a dream now so time to move on to some other stuff. The headlight assemblies are absolutely shot. There is just too much oxidation. So I'm going to purchase new assemblies. So I guess my two questions would be where would be a good place to order the assemblies and bulbs? I don't want the yellow normal bulbs that come with it as they are simply not bright enough for the country roads where we live. I really want the bright white ones if that makes sense. Thank you for any information and help.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete28 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Headlight assembly question 98 sl2

I live in the sticks, and I replaced my 98 SW2 assemblies with ones from PARTSGEEK.com. ~ $65 for both.
Then used the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9005 & 9006 bulbs for all 4.
Some have said here that their bulbs burned out within a year, however; my experience using these bulbs on at least 5 different vehicles is that the original set has been in for over 100,000 miles and nearly 5 years without failures. Similar results on the other 4 cars too.
Ebay is the best place I have found the Ultra (2 packs) on their auction tab.
Bought all 4 bulbs for under $50, and have enjoyed bright white light....far better that the 3 sets of different LED manufactures bulbs, far better.
The LEDs seems really bright when viewed head on, but while driving, I could not get the distance out of the in side by side comparisons with the Ultra bulbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

If you want a brighter bulb, you could try using a pair of 9011 and 9012 bulbs. They require a little bit of modification to fit into the housing but the plug is exactly the same as the stock 9005/9006 bulbs.

It's time to play....guess that rattle!
1997 SL2, 111K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

I also did that 9011 and 9012 mod on the 2003 LW200 I had. But even those did not help that car's system. It was a dog from the day I titled it, until I sold it for scrap.

All said, I actually had forgotten about the HIR 9011 conversion on these other cars. I ended up on 1, with the Ultras (9006) for low beam (less extra glare with the SW2 lenses than the 9012 HIR during mists and rain) and the 9011 HIR instead of the 9005 for the High beam.

True, there is about a 500 lumen gain with the HIR, but that extra light seems to bounce or hit funny in the saturn lens that it because of the different filament structure that causes the HIR to hit areas that usually don't get that much light. The increased light of the HIR bulb bounces around these enclosures and it spills into areas of the lamp that were never intended to focus a beam pattern. Some side effects of these internal hits are unwanted external reflection outside the headlamp. I tried the 9012 bulb. In clear weather things were just fine..lots more output etc. But any misty or snow, rain, and I had too much reflection to call it good.

Last edited by toggenburg; 11-17-2018 at 07:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Tell those "UltraStar" and "Ultrabright" fools to take a long walk off a short pier.

Get off-road 9005 & 9006 bulbs as well as a dedicated harness for them, aimed properly they won't bother anyone anymore than the stock lights while you get a ton more visibility without any of that marketing hype that doesn't translate into anything useful.

Used 100/80w bulbs with a dedicated harness on my old Forester, were rated for 400hrs use but I got nearly 1000 out of the driver side and ended up scrapped the car with nearly 1300hrs on the passenger bulb. Actually did piss off a local state cop...high-beamed them from the back while they were parked (scanning for speeders) 2 nights in a row then on night #3 they were spun around the other way and high-beamed me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I replaced mine last year with TYC brand assemblies from RockAuto (very satisfied). I think I paid less than $70 for the pair. I also went with a set of Philips HIR bulbs from eBay. Almost twice the lumen count as standard bulbs without any extra current draw. You have to trim the plastic mounting tabs on the bulbs to get the HIR bulbs to fit the assemblies, but they're a drop in replacement otherwise. Well worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Pete28
Pete28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions and information! I found a set for $58 bucks shipped and I'll buy the 9011 and 9012 separately. Thanks again.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

OK, Fetch.
Then what bulbs would you recommend to brighten up a vehicle that can only accept the H1 bulb base?

My 2005 Malibu Maxx has an aftermarket assembly having only H1 fittings.

The HIR 9011/9012 base cannot be modified to ever work in an H1 base, seeing that there is only a single separate jumper wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Careful eBay searching will produce LED replacements that are equivalent to a 200-250W halogen bulb and a 6000K color temperature. They draw about 35 actual watts so the wiring will be quite happy.

These basic units are adapted to all the different common bulbs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/9007-500W-5...53.m1438.l2649

They work just fine as long as you have the clearance behind the housing and can figure out how to install them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
OK, Fetch.
Then what bulbs would you recommend to brighten up a vehicle that can only accept the H1 bulb base?

My 2005 Malibu Maxx has an aftermarket assembly having only H1 fittings.

The HIR 9011/9012 base cannot be modified to ever work in an H1 base, seeing that there is only a single separate jumper wire.
These (if you click on the 2-pack it's nearly $3 cheaper than 2 single box's):
https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H1-100W.../dp/B0002M9URU

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Fetch; 2 issues. Neither the lens housing nor the existing wiring would safely support those nice 100w bulbs. I would melt the housing and wiring; and blind oncoming drivers right into me

OldNuc; might be a possibility IF I wanted to really tear out the H1 metal housing and somehow retrofit in those LEDs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

A dedicated headlight harness will assist even stock bulbs to be at their brightest and you can either buy one for under $40 or make one for under $30 (or even less if you're a scrounge like me and keep random connectors, wires, relays and fuses from junk cars).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!