SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
jillybean
jillybean is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Aura possible ECM issue

Hello everyone,

I started my Aura yesterday, and the check engine light went on. I went to my local Auto Zone, and they told me that the error code said that there was a problem with my ECM.

I checked around, and it's about $200 to get a new one, but I hear that I have to go to the dealer to get it reprogrammed (and I bet that's expensive)? Is there a way to reprogram it myself?

Also, I just started my car today, and the check engine light is off now. I don't use my car very often, and it's gotten very cold the last couple days where I live. Could the cold have made the error code come up, and the ECM is not really about to fail?

I have the 4 cylinder XE model in case that's important.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jillybean's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jillybean reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 04:04 AM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 2008 Aura possible ECM issue

Do you have the code...Since the CEL went out whatever code was present was intermittent and has cleared so the ECM is probably not failing.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
jillybean
jillybean is on a distinguished road

Hi! Thanks for the reply. The error code according to Autozone was P0010.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jillybean's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jillybean reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search within this forum for similar P0010 error code issues and any solutions. You can find definitions from a Google search. It's rarely an ecm fault when many presume a computer cpu failure. Try leaving and running a laptop in a car 24/7, 365 days a year in every season and temperature extremes and see if it lasts longer than car electronics.

While AutoZone, Advance Auto and other auto stores may provide free readings of error codes, they're not experts in auto diagnostics enough to suggest what failed. Their best attributes are free readings and tool loan programs. While I'm not an expert on auto diagnostics, experience/electronics background/getting dirty/mechanical skills and the overwhelming desire to keep money from leaving my wallet to support repair shops seems to work for me as well as many here willing to do the same. Dealers and repair shops are doing fine without my support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR

Do a search on the code on this site. Basically you need to replace the intake and exhaust camshaft actuator solenoids (different code for each, not the senders). One will usually go first, but they recommend replacing both. I found a pair on Amazon for $40 delivered. Located next to the spark plugs on top of the engine. Electrical connector on top and one bolt for each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XE

Yep, P0010 is not a failing ECM code. It's for "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0010
Since the check engine light went off the code must have went away, I wouldn't mess with anything until it comes back, if it comes back.
Here are steps to replace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUt1rB2o8g4
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUjdgn_HQz0

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote