SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
MghtySaturn
MghtySaturn is on a distinguished road

Wrench Car won't stalls after warm up

I have a 1999 Saturn SL1 that once it get to normal operating temperature. It seems that the car runs out of gas when it stalls. I have replace the fuel filter. The egr and throttle body are clean. I have also replaced the catalytic converter. I have also replace the ects because it was running rich. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MghtySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MghtySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MghtySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Re: Car won't stalls after warm up

fuel pump maybe ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Sounds like an intermittent cps failure. Check for spark across the coil towers when warmed up and the stall occurs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
MghtySaturn

Wrench Re: Car won't stalls after warm up

Could it still be my fuel pump if I can hear it come on when I turn the key on? How do I check it to be sure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MghtySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage? The best way to assess fuel pump and pressures is with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail test valve. AutoZone or Advance Auto should have loaners for this purpose. A credit card copy or cash deposit ensures loaners are returned. If it can left connected, check for pressures when the engine dies and again when restarting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

I agree with the CPS (Crank Position Sensor); when I had my 3rd gen wagon, it did exactly this, and that's exactly what it was. It's a little difficult to reach, but not terribly difficult to replace.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - sold

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 285K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
MghtySaturn

Wrench Re: Car won't stalls after warm up

My car has 218,000 miles. I am not getting any codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

CPS will not throw a code and testing for failure due to lack of spark doesn't require a loaner tool. It's an easy test that you can perform immediately for a common failure that causes the symptoms you're describing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
CPS will not throw a code and testing for failure due to lack of spark doesn't require a loaner tool. It's an easy test that you can perform immediately for a common failure that causes the symptoms you're describing.
Yep. See Cheyne's post #3.

Typically, let it cool down about 10~20 minutes and it will start right up again like nothing happened.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote