SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
bigtoque
bigtoque is on a distinguished road

Question 2001 SL2 (auto) - Engine revs up on gear shift + rough shift into forward/reverse

I've got a 2001 SL2 automatic that I'm having trouble shifting with.

If I'm driving forward, the engine revs up by a few hundred RPM when shifting from 2>3 or 3>4 (1>2 and 4>5 doesn't appear to be too bad).

I've also noticed that when going from forward to reverse, or reverse to forward, it can take 1-3 seconds for the car to engage and seems to kind of jerk into these gears when it does engage.

There are no error codes.

I had a very similar issue a few months ago, and while I don't know too much about what each component is under the hood, I noticed a loose wire on a wiring harness (photo attached) where someone had clearly worked on these wires before. I striped the loose wires and crimped them back with a new connector and lo-and-behold the issue went away and so did the error codes (I don't recall the codes).

I assumed that with what seems to be the same issue coming back, it's likely that I might not have done a great job, but after exposing the wires again I could see that my work was solid and still connected very well.

In the pictures I've attached, you can see that someone has spliced every wire in this assembly and while they do look like they're holding together pretty well, because one of them had come undone previously, I'm wondering if the issue is with one (or more) of those wires.

I don't actually know how to test continuity in those wires though because I don't know where those wires go and there isn't much wire to work with on the end, so I don't want to re-do them all if I don't have to.

If the issue isn't the wiring in this little harness, what else should I check. With no error codes, I feel pretty blind about what could be going on.

https://i.imgur.com/zAsFOyH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2d0FpiD.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigtoque's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigtoque reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigtoque is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Re: 2001 SL2 (auto) - Engine revs up on gear shift + rough shift into forward/reverse

I looked at your pictures, those are all the wires that controls your transmission. Their integrity is very important. If you can solder, I would remove all those connectors, skin the wires back, and solder all of them. If you can't solder, hire a TV repairman to come to your house and solder them. Make sure to use a good quality shrink tube to seal them up and possible coat the joints with some type of sealant over top the shrink tube. I hate seeing that type of connection, barrel crimps are a no no under the hood where water and moisture live. Cars don't have them like that from the factory for a reason. I will add that after you fix that mess and the issue persists, your valve body is on its way out. Look for videos and links on this site for replacing the valve body, it's not that difficult.

Last edited by gveinot; 11-13-2018 at 06:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: 2001 SL2 (auto) - Engine revs up on gear shift + rough shift into forward/reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtoque View Post
I've got a 2001 SL2 automatic that I'm having trouble shifting with.

If I'm driving forward, the engine revs up by a few hundred RPM when shifting from 2>3 or 3>4 (1>2 and 4>5 doesn't appear to be too bad).

I've also noticed that when going from forward to reverse, or reverse to forward, it can take 1-3 seconds for the car to engage and seems to kind of jerk into these gears when it does engage.

There are no error codes.

I had a very similar issue a few months ago, and while I don't know too much about what each component is under the hood, I noticed a loose wire on a wiring harness (photo attached) where someone had clearly worked on these wires before. I striped the loose wires and crimped them back with a new connector and lo-and-behold the issue went away and so did the error codes (I don't recall the codes).

I assumed that with what seems to be the same issue coming back, it's likely that I might not have done a great job, but after exposing the wires again I could see that my work was solid and still connected very well.

In the pictures I've attached, you can see that someone has spliced every wire in this assembly and while they do look like they're holding together pretty well, because one of them had come undone previously, I'm wondering if the issue is with one (or more) of those wires.

I don't actually know how to test continuity in those wires though because I don't know where those wires go and there isn't much wire to work with on the end, so I don't want to re-do them all if I don't have to.

If the issue isn't the wiring in this little harness, what else should I check. With no error codes, I feel pretty blind about what could be going on.

https://i.imgur.com/zAsFOyH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2d0FpiD.jpg
Clutches slipping or the TCC is disengaging before the shifts. However, delayed clutch engagement is symptom of low line pressure. After confirming the wiring is not damaged, you will likely need to pull the valve body pan and test the solenoids for ohms. You may be due for a replacement valve body or a replacement line pressure solenoid.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote