SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
GerriceM
GerriceM is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 sl2 does nothing!!! Please help!!

Hello. I just got a 1999 SL2 and it wouldn't start. I had a crank position sensor put in and everything tightened and greased up. Drove yhr car to work Saturday and when I got off it was dead and has been that way ever since. I turn the key door chimes radio works dash lights up but no crank or any sound just silence...I live in Chicago and it getting too cold to keep walking any ideas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GerriceM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GerriceM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GerriceM is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 1999 sl2 does nothing!!! Please help!!

The starters in our S Series tend to fail. If you have everything but the crank that is likely. Manual or auto transmission? If a manual you can bump start it. Jumper cables don't help with a bad starter.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Another trick you can try and it may give you a start or two. Take a 2 foot piece of dimensional lumber (2"by 2" perhaps) place it on the starter from above (if you can) and tap on the end of the wood while someone cranks the key. The vibration is sometimes enough to get another start out of it. Once you get it started then drive it to a shop to have the starter replaced. Don't turn it off until you get it where it needs to be for repair.

DB Electrical have the recommended starters at a reasonable cost. You can get them on amazon too.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...02-satrun.html

If you do it yourself, replace the top bolt with a manifold stud and nut. This makes it easier to re-install as you can't see the top bolt location. Using a stud allows you to hang the starter from it for support.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
GerriceM

Thanks so much I'm going to try to test it but my starter is under the car so I will have to find help. Will let you know how that goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GerriceM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Have you read here about the magic "purple wire" on the starter? If you go under there, you might as well take a voltmeter with you and do the definitive tests.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

make sure it has voltage on both the solenoid and the starter should be two places where u see wires . Each one should have 12 volts. ground the dvom on the car somewhere and probe with the red on each of these . better get it started cause its cold in chicago.Most junkyards sell them for 20 bucks if u cant afford a new one but at least you can get your car back. Id get a new starter on it or a junkyard one . I put a 139 duralast gold on mine never looked back . I always pay for reliabity before cheap cause my car is needed as its all i have to get around and towing is not cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Packard

1995 SL1

Test for 12 volts will tell you its the starter if u got volts there then its a starter . I had this happen to me at a store car was silent but dash lights up then its a starter . U can tap the solenoid to see if it will start. If this is a 5sp when mine went out i had someone push me to start my car . it has to be in gear though I think it was in 1st to get mine to start. I did it that way to get it home so i could replace my starter . As soon as I got it to start I took it home and bought a new starter and put a it in . 5speeds are good for that if starter goes you can still start with a push.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
Packard

1995 SL1

. If the starter is dead but the windshield wipers and headlights are working, the problem could be a stuck gear. ... sometimes tapping can help with this and get it working temporarily .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
GerriceM

Packard where would I tap to see if the gear is stuck? I have an automatic transmission. Also do you happen to know how reliable a DB Electrical starter is? I see they are pretty cheap compared to others. I'm thinking of getting an AC Delco but I just want to weigh my options

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I love my DB electric starter. I put it in just before teaching my 15 year old to drive a manual transmission. That starter has seen a lot of abuse, still going strong after 6 months and 6000 miles or so.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriceM View Post
Packard where would I tap to see if the gear is stuck? I have an automatic transmission. Also do you happen to know how reliable a DB Electrical starter is? I see they are pretty cheap compared to others. I'm thinking of getting an AC Delco but I just want to weigh my options
AC Delco is just a rebranded Valeo starter.

I just ordered a new Valeo starter for the shelf. Figured the car had just over 100K and why not for 24.00 delivered? I guess we'll see when it arrives.

http://proagplus.com/product/100-new...2-1-9l-1-9-v4/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are these the same starters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB Electrical.jpg (65.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ProAgPlus.jpg (66.6 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #13
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are these the same starters?
Of course not. The DB electrical is for a Satrun. The ProAg is for Saturn.

One of the things I noticed is the notation at the very bottom of the ProAg page ...

I'm interested to see if the one that arrives has the Valeo sticker. I just ordered it today, so I can't comment on it until it arrives.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahh, you noticed the misspelling...... Its a good thing no one noticed and used them anyway.

Last edited by fdryer; 11-15-2018 at 10:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriceM View Post
richpin's video shows starter location, I think - basically, under the car on the backside of the engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6awyslXkeI

I installed my DB Electrical starter on 4/20/2013 on my daily commuter car. Minimum of three starts a day (going to night classes), 5 days a week, and it is still good.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
GerriceM

Well I orderedy DB Electrical starter today and it won't arrive until Sunday I got it on Amazon Prime for $40.97 with tax and free 2 day shipping...I'll let you guys know how it turns out..me and my Aunt may just do it ourselves after watching Richpins video. On another note I have an electric moonroof and my front passenger floorboard is wet but my roof is not leaking any ideas???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!