SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Pete28
Pete28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default 98 SL2 fan not working

Morning folks! Well in my last post I had some transmission coolant line issues that with your help I got resolved. Now I have a separate issue to deal with. I have not heard the fan go on at all. I did test the fan independently and it is operational. I have checked the fuse and no problem there. What else could I check to see what the issue might be? I had let the car run in the driveway for about 30 minutes and nothing. I then took it out for a drive about 15 miles, brought it back to the house and let it idle for another 15 minutes and still nothing. Nothing was overheating, no bad smells and everything looked and felt great. Am I missing something?

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete28 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 98 SL2 fan not working

If the temp gauge doesn't go over 3/4 the fan isn't going to turn on automatically. Depending on outside temp and heater use it might never get hot enough to turn on. Wouldn't hurt to check the ECTS and connector for cracking/corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are several ways to test the fan cooling circuit. If it's applicable, disconnect the coolant sensor then turn on ignition. This may turn on the fan or after starting the engine. If the fan runs, its because the pcm doesn't detect any signals from the (disconnected) sensor and defaults by turning on the fan. Worse case scenario is if a wire or sensor fails completely and the pcm can't detect coolant temps, turns on the fan to prevent the engine from overheating. Another direct way to test the same circuit is via the ac system.

If ac works, turn it on with the engine idling. Ac demands cooling fan operation as two radiators are heated; the ac condenser coil gets hot and the hot air from this cc flows into the hot radiator. Fan cooling prevents ac and engine damage. If ac doesn't work, a temporary bypass can be done to test fan cooling.

With dead ac, disconnect the compressor electrical connector, locate the ac pressure sensor by the radiator, disconnect the two wire connector and insert a small wire jumper or paper clip into the female connectors. This bypass tells the pcm the ac system pressure is fine and lets the pcm power up compressor and cooling fan. The suggestion to disconnect the compressor connector is to prevent it from running and damaging it - 98% of all ac problems is the leak no one wants to find and repair. The leak is detected by the pressure sensor to tell the pcm to disable compressor operation. The wire inserted into the pressure sensor connector is telling the pcm all is ok with ac system pressure so the ac system will run. You're testing the cooling fan circuit the same way as the previous suggestion. Both suggestions should result in the cooling fan turning on. In this case with a wire bypass, be sure to remove it after testing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Pete28

1998 SL2

Hello and thank you! I recently just replaced the ects. I did the first test you mentioned. I unplugged the ects turned on the engine and the fan turned on no problem. For the secondary test mentioned my ac compressor is seized and non functional. Would I still be able to perform the test?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pete28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The fan turning on with the coolant sensor disconnected means the cooling fan circuitry is working. Other testing isn't necessary. What was tested when disconnecting the sensor; pcm, wiring from pcm to fan relay, fused line for the fan relay to power the fan, and wiring from fan relay to fan. All tested by disconnecting the coolant sensor.

As mentioned, your temperature gauge needle may need to swing over to the 3/4 mark before the pcm determines turns on fan cooling. To be more accurate, an OBD II reader displaying coolant temps will show varying temps as the pcm sees it from the coolant sensor. 220F triggers fan cooling, 212F turns off fan cooling.

If your temperature gauge needle hovers over the 1/4 mark, your thermostat may be running cooler than normal. T-stats for Saturns should begin opening around 180F, fully open at 195F. If temps run cooler than 180F the t-stat may be faulty. In winter, heater output may be lower. Good t-stats will provide all the warmth anyone needs.

Even with a seized ac compressor, as long as its disconnected from power to the clutch coil, you can test the cooling fan as described. You should have the same result.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
Pete28

1998 SL2

Thank you so much for he information. I had forgotten to mention that I installed a new thermostat when I installed the new radiator and transmission coolant lines and top motor mounts. The car is running wonderfully now and puts out an incredible amount of heat inside the car for this cooler weather. So I think I am in good shape. Thank you for the great help and information.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!