SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Tire recommendations?

My last purchase was the cheapest - $40 Douglas tires at Walmart. 195-60-15. What I don't like is if you slam on the brakes (even worse if the road is wet), the car slips and skids.

I'd like a tire that has a softer compound that will grip good when braking. Should be an all season tire.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Tire recommendations?

I've had great results from General Altimax Arctic tires. They're hard to find and advertised as a dedicated winter tire but I've had more grip from them than most all-season tires in 70f+ temps while still keeping amazing grip in the snow without the quick wear normally associated with winter compound tires in the summer (25mi each way to work 6 days a week, plus another 60-70mi round trips 4-5 days a week).

https://www.amazon.com/General-Altim.../dp/B07DCLR311

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

General RT43s, in H speed rating.

These are 51 psi max tires, the OEM tires were 35 psi max, so you need to add 5-7 psi over the door sticker inflation recommendations..

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I've run Pirelli's on my SL2 with one set of Yokohamas as well. HUGELY recommend the Pirellis. Currently running the P4 all season tires and have been very satisfied with them for the past couple years. They aren't cheap, but well worth it to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post

These are 51 psi max tires, the OEM tires were 35 psi max, so you need to add 5-7 psi over the door sticker inflation recommendations..
+1 - Love these. They are well rated on Consumer Reports as the # 3 recommended tire. They have a really good price point too.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post

You can absolutely do that if you want it to ride like a stagecoach in order to get slightly better gas mileage and have tires that wear unevenly in the middle.

My go to tire for wet/winter is Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are not cheap, but they grip VERY well and are not so soft that they wear excessively.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

coincidental timing.
I just mounted a set of General AltiMAX RT43, in H speed rating. I bought them off Tire Rack ($64 plus $14 shipping each) as they received excellent reviews for overall conditions.
Today was the first trip to work and back. First thing I noticed was that they were quite and very smooth riding.
But, they are new tires, I will reserve full judgement until a full year of weather conditions go by.
These tires replaced my Michelin which were good tires also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Actually I have 44 PSI in the rear, and 35 in the front...

Still rides great, and no wearing in the middle...

Got 42 MPG at 74 MPH when I went to Marion, Virginia, and back...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

While they're probably out of most individuals price range, the Michelin Defender tires are the best I've ever used on a non-performance passenger vehicle. You won't get the 90k mileage claim they have, but they are the best all season tire I've ever used in dry, wet, and snow.

Here is some live data from other owners, it's not just me:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ay.jsp?type=ST

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ I agree. I have defender sets on the Saturn (second set, first set lasted 70K on gravel roads), a Malibu Maxx, Ford Edge, Nissan Rogue and the newer Suburban. The Dodge pickup and the old Suburban are only plated for 'farm use' and have other grade E tires.
Totally sold on Michelin Defenders, after having replaced other brand name ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

These are my favorite tires:
https://www.lesschwab.com/reputation...leFlow&start=1

I LOVE them. They are not the cheapest (I paid $491 for all four) but not the most expensive either; I love their performance and they are very smooth, and they do great in the wet weather here in Oregon. Love love love them. 80,000 mile warranty.

(The Reputation Tire from Les Schwab)

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia
2000 SW2 - Ruby
2004 Vue - Jade
1996 SL2 - Ursula
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle

Current:
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 285K
1996 SL2 - Blanca - 36K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Interesting, I cannot even locate who manufacturers the Reputation tire.

That brand is not even listed on NSTSA!
https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/Tires-Rating

Buyer beware of off branded tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #13
mikay
mikay is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

1999 SC-1, long time Saturn owner, bought this car recently to run miles up on, commuting to work 60 miles each way on mostly 2-lane back roads in Central Wisconsin.

I'm not a 'car guy' but I'm mechanically competent. I would like to know how P185/70R14's would work on my car...would that be suitable? I can save about 100 bucks by going with this size instead of the standard P175/70r14 tires. From what I understand, these would be a little wider and a little taller.

Speed rating T., load index 88 All Seasons from "Supermax" is what I'm considering.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikay View Post
I would like to know how P185/70R14's would work on my car...would that be suitable? I can save about 100 bucks by going with this size instead of the standard P175/70r14 tires. From what I understand, these would be a little wider and a little taller.
attached comparison done at
https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (19.5 KB, 7 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
attached comparison done at
https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
They say that plus or minus 3% from the OEM size is acceptable. At 2.3% you should be good.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Interesting, I cannot even locate who manufacturers the Reputation tire.

That brand is not even listed on NSTSA!
https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/Tires-Rating

Buyer beware of off branded tires.
Then don't use them I guess; I have had excellent luck with them for years, that's all I have to go by. I've never had one flat tire or anything. Honestly, the only tires I've ever had terrible luck with were michelins (on my minivan) they were horrible. I guess it's your mileage may vary (pardon the pun).

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia
2000 SW2 - Ruby
2004 Vue - Jade
1996 SL2 - Ursula
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle

Current:
1996 SL2 - Blanca - 36K

Last edited by ratwhisperer; 11-15-2018 at 07:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #17
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1

So now that I've had a minute to sit down.

The tires I posted are Mazama Brand.
https://www.mazamatires.com/

This is copied and pasted from the NHTSA ratings:

Tire Brand: MAZAMA
Tire Line Construction Size Traction Rating Temp Rating Wear Rating

REPUTATION NLW-3 (T rating) Radial All sizes A B 800

https://www.safercar.gov/nhtsa-safer...ure=B&wear=400

Sorry for not including that earlier. Anyhoo, I don't really feel like arguing, and I'm obviously not one of the cool kids, so I'll go to another thread.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia
2000 SW2 - Ruby
2004 Vue - Jade
1996 SL2 - Ursula
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle

Current:
1996 SL2 - Blanca - 36K

Last edited by ratwhisperer; 11-15-2018 at 07:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #18
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Sorry Ratwhisper, I had never heard of MAZAMA tires. That tire you have is only sold about 2000 miles away from me. Closest dealer is Colorado. Its a registered trademark by your retailer/dealer chain, Les Schwab Tires.
No idea who actually is the manufacturer though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

You could try the SC2 recommended tires, which are H rated for speed, temp, treadwear and can be all-season tires. 195-60R15 tires are fairly common. Last tire job i had on my SC2 ran about $500 with a mail-in rebate.

H-Rated tires will wear out treadlife quicker, but will provide more grip on dry conditions. Wet and ice are irrelevant regardless of tire compounds, since wet tires will not heat up to the same temp as a tire that is rotating on dry surfaces. Less Friction = Less Heat

For better grip on wet or icy surfaces, it is tread design and weight against the tires that make a difference. tires designed for "Mud & Snow" use are better suited for adverse conditions.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Ok, maybe I'm asking too much?

Today I was driving about 35mph, and decided to hit the brakes to make a right turn and slid on the wet pavement.

I guess I'm just not going to get grip with a light car and wet road.

FWIW, I see a large number of Saturns with front end damage. The new grey one I bought had a front end mishap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote