SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default “Coated” Wheel Weights

Are these “coated” wheel weights?

Here is exactly what I bought:
https://www.alltiresupply.com/produc...-series-coated

If the box of weights I just received are not coated, then do you think POR 15 would work well as a coating I could apply to these wheel weights before they are put on my S-series wheels?

I thought “coated” was like the coated lead wheel weights on the new O.E. wheels from Springhill.
“Coated”, like coated with paint to inhibit a galvanic reaction that wrecks the alloy wheel’s finish.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: “Coated” Wheel Weights

Last time, my shop used plastic coated lead weights....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some background info; https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...-weight-debate.

What you bought is basically incompatible, coated or not, for aluminum rims. The steel clip used to fasten weights to the outside rims simply bite into aluminum. Steel and aluminum react, creating the galvanic action guaranteed for future corrosion. No amount of coating will reduce or eliminate corrosion between the steel clip and its bite into aluminum. Guess how I found out? These clip on weights are fine for steel rims, not for aluminum.

The best way to avoid wheel weights from corroding aluminum rims? Stick on weights placed on the inside of rims. Good/better tire shops know this. Other tire shops may not care at all unless asked about the type of wheel weights. If you ask and a shop replies with confusion, run away and find a shop that knows the difference. If you examine expensive rims, try and find weights on them. They're not using clip on weights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Are these “coated” wheel weights?

Here is exactly what I bought:
https://www.alltiresupply.com/produc...-series-coated

If the box of weights I just received are not coated, then do you think POR 15 would work well as a coating I could apply to these wheel weights before they are put on my S-series wheels?

I thought “coated” was like the coated lead wheel weights on the new O.E. wheels from Springhill.
“Coated”, like coated with paint to inhibit a galvanic reaction that wrecks the alloy wheel’s finish.

Those are already coated with a hard polymer coating. The clip may not be however. The recommended weights for non-steel wheels are stick-on weights that you apply along the centerline of the rim. They are usually coated zinc. The coated lead is a thing of the past, it scares Californians.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Sounds like the “coated”, in this case, is a coating to keep the lead from dissolving into the environment. I will verify the profile and see how these weights fit the alloy rims.

Thank you —I’ve request stick-on weights most always...except this time, a “remanufactured” alloy rim is out of balance. I want something in tight contact where material is missing from the “remanufacturing” process. The rim was not centered precisely and the lathe made the face slighty out-of-round. This rim & tire assembly, right now, has srick-on weights. The stick-on weights seem to let the wheel assembly go thru a resonance around 60mph that feels like missing lug nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Last time, my shop used plastic coated lead weights....
Are they clip-on weights, or stick-on weights? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Here is the new AA “MCN” Series lead weight temporarily just setting on an OE Alloy
The profile fit is not too bad. Maybe a few coats of POR 15 will help to reduce galvanic corrosion. I don’t have much choice.

Here are two re-used O.E. Springhill clip-on lead weights on an O.E. alloy wheel
The fit is perfect. Better than the (made for steel wheels) AA “MCN” Series lead weights that I just bought .

(the terms “wheel” and “rim” are used interchangably)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're presuming the lead weight is creating corrosion from lead/aluminum reaction, you're mistaken. The steel clip biting into coated aluminum rims is the reason for corrosion as it damages clear coating. Once clear coat is broken, aluminum is exposed to air and moisture. Add salt and ruined rims from oxidation are the result. Lead is soft and may or may not damage clear coat. Steel clip-on wheel weights are made to bite into steel rims, not aluminum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That harshness you are feeling at ~60mph is a sign that you have decent static balance and bad/poor dynamic balance. Time for a trip to another balance shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Dazed Re: “Coated” Wheel Weights

FWIW-
I stopped using clip on weights on aluminum wheels many years ago.
Their steel clips, as mentioned by several people, cut into the aluminum of the wheels though any clear coat or anodizing.
Corrosion and damage to the wheel are the inevitable results, particularly in snow country, but even here.
Whether or not you take corrosion into account, they just look bad IMHO.

I exclusively use stick-on weights placed along the center line of the wheel and they have worked very well for me with no dynamic balance issues noted, but perhaps I have just been fortunate.
The material of the weights themselves is more or less irrelevant (I personally have no problem at all with lead weights).

I just recently balanced the Camaro wheels and removed..... are you sitting down?.... plastic weights from them.
It makes sense actually.
No two were the same length and they are very flexible and inert.
I presume that they came from a long roll or something and were custom cut to the exact length/weight needed by an automated balancing machine at the factory.
I don't know that for sure, but it appears to be the case.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:37 AM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: “Coated” Wheel Weights

Actually, I have discovered that plastic weights are made by 3M, IMI, BADA and Wurth among others and for OEM applications cut-to-weight seems to be a growing practice.

Oh, and the trend toward lead-free wheel weights started in Europe around 15 years ago, but it is coming to a wheel near you sooner or later......

DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I'll see your plastic wheel weights and raise you a plastic camshaft. Insanity, but that is what my son's hovercraft motor has - for now. The real one is enroute to our house from Precision Cams in SC.

In some ways it is genius. It is a Briggs and Stratton 6.5HP vertical shaft engine optimized to run at 2200 RPM. Must be cheap to make.

I am a firm believer in plastic body panels.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^I have a leaf shredder/vac with a plastic camshaft.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you're presuming the lead weight is creating corrosion from lead/aluminum reaction, you're mistaken. The steel clip biting into coated aluminum rims is the reason for corrosion as it damages clear coating. Once clear coat is broken, aluminum is exposed to air and moisture. Add salt and ruined rims from oxidation are the result. Lead is soft and may or may not damage clear coat. Steel clip-on wheel weights are made to bite into steel rims, not aluminum.
My hope is that the clip gouge will be up under the tire and not on the finished, clear-coated edge of the rim.

Two Front Defender Tyres, #1 and #2:

Tyre #1
If I mark the location of the weight, I can remove it and paint POR 15 on the gouge and then re-install the weight while the POR 15 is still wet. Maybe it will seal good enough

This is the “remanufactured” ebay rim that needs lead weights https://imgur.com/a/5nY9d2y

Tyre #2
For this tyre & wheel, stick-on weights might work.
I had the wobbly tyre removed and replaced with a different tyre. I will check the new tyre for run-out and grind it round with a 24-grit sanding belt. Maybe stick-on weights are good enough for this tyre and wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
I'll see your plastic wheel weights and raise you a plastic camshaft.
OK, you win.

BTW, the plastic weights I mentioned are very, very flexible and are magnetic, so they obviously have iron particles in them.
Still, it isn't a bad idea really.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #14
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
OK, you win.

BTW, the plastic weights I mentioned are very, very flexible and are magnetic, so they obviously have iron particles in them.
Still, it isn't a bad idea really.
Interesting. I've seen sign materials that are coated on one side and magnetic. It might just be a similar product with a higher plastic content or something.

As long as they don't mess with the clear coat on the rim, and the old style ones often do.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
......My hope is that the clip gouge will be up under the tire and not on the finished, clear-coated edge of the rim.......
Guess all you want, even if the steel clip bites behind the rim, this too will create a serious problem - the mystery bead leak....... Guess how I know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #16
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2
Sad Re: “Coated” Wheel Weights

Quote:
the mystery bead leak....... Guess how I know?
Yes, these very sort of bead leaks have happened to me too and for the same reason.
So I second your experience.

The plastic weights I referred to are not in themselves magnetic by the way.
They are however strongly attracted to magnets.
So I surmise that they contain a high iron content.

The attached photo shows some of them next to a few "regular" weights for comparison.
It is a bit hard to tell from the photos but no two of them are exactly the same size and they have an extremely rubbery texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSCN8031.JPG (77.3 KB, 7 views)

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Guess all you want, even if the steel clip bites behind the rim, this too will create a serious problem - the mystery bead leak....... Guess how I know?
Yes, I know. I realize that salt must never touch alloy wheels. There are stone chips that must be kept full of wax. — And even then, they will corrode if salt touches them.
I have not ever had a rim leak on my Saturn.
For the record, I personally hate gouge-on lead wheel weights on alloy. I am only trying to get round, vibration-free tires just to see if it is possible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!