SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
StrnWolf
StrnWolf is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1994 SL1
Default Torque Specs for Exhaust

I need to replace my exhaust manifold gasket, which I can say is most likely because I was a victim of a bad mechanic. They cut my brand new fuel filter on purpose, so I have almost no doubt they did this because somehow the studs are not screwed into the engine fully any more, not even finger tight. So, I need to know the proper torque for the studs in the engine and for the nuts on the stud. Also, would like to know where I can get new nuts if possible. I have a 1995 Saturn SL2

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2
12/2009-PRESENT (Soon to die) 1994 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StrnWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StrnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Torque Specs for Exhaust

Studs: 106 in/lbs (8.83 ft/lbs)
Nuts: 16 ft/lbs

If you have a junkyard nearby the intake manifold studs are the same thread pattern, only longer on the manifold side (possibly on head side too), if you get a high(er) $$ item they'll probably throw the bolts in for free. Otherwise I'd try Home Depot or Fastenel, I'd bet Fastenel is more likely to have the required metric thread.
At the very least I'd get 2 intake manifold studs with nuts to have on hand in-case the starter dies, replace the bolts for the starter with the studs and not fight blindly for hours getting the starter back in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Studs: 106 in/lbs (8.83 ft/lbs)
Nuts: 16 ft/lbs

If you have a junkyard nearby the intake manifold studs are the same thread pattern, only longer on the manifold side (possibly on head side too), if you get a high(er) $$ item they'll probably throw the bolts in for free. Otherwise I'd try Home Depot or Fastenel, I'd bet Fastenel is more likely to have the required metric thread.
At the very least I'd get 2 intake manifold studs with nuts to have on hand in-case the starter dies, replace the bolts for the starter with the studs and not fight blindly for hours getting the starter back in.
Thank you! Do you also know what size bit I need for the studs? I do not have the socket for that size so I need to buy a set with the right size for it.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help StrnWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

It's an E7. It is in a set I got at Harbor Freight.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It's a size E"snaps off as soon as you put the socket on it"
I was thinking E10, but it is pretty small so E7 could be right.

Pretty much every one I've taken out the nut locked itself to the stud and it came out as a bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Yeah, I think the smallest size I have is E 10 and the whole stud fit through the center down to nut. You may imagine how angry I was when even it was that loose I managed to move the stud in and out.

But also, yeah seems my nuts are stuck on too. Think ill pick some up from local yard and get them seperated to be all ready for my Saturn. I was thinking an E socket with a flare nut wrench to separate them while not in the engine.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #7
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

pretty sure the thread is M8X1.25 nut hex=13mm

It is said the OEM intake & exhaust studs are same composition...

Advance Auto sometimes has Ex Man studs by Dorman, which appear
to be good quality (but different length, & no torx section.

IF the car has seen a lot of roadsalt, the ExMan may be rusted on block mating face. In that case, maybe sandpaper flatter with Silicon Carbide paper on a 2"X4" wood sanding block.... That prep should last for 200kMi.

Last edited by TomM96; 11-11-2018 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: fergat un

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #8
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
pretty sure the thread is M8X1.25 nut hex=13mm

It is said the OEM intake & exhaust studs are same composition...

Advance Auto sometimes has Ex Man studs by Dorman, which appear
to be good quality (but different length, & no torx section.

IF the car has seen a lot of roadsalt, the ExMan may be rusted on block mating face. In that case, maybe sandpaper flatter with Silicon Carbide paper on a 2"X4" wood sanding block.... That prep should last for 200kMi.
Where I live we do not have any salt, our biggest harm is heat in summer and then its just any road flooding in winter as a vehicles enemy.

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #9
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Is there any special way to tighten the nuts on the manifold such as a pattern or in steps or anything like that?

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Generally (most any manifold,not just s-series) you go from the inside to the outside. Kind of a spiral pattern. I didn't have an issue starting at one end and going to the other but that doens't mean someone else also won't have an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Bolt pattern as fetchitfido states.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (13.1 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Generally (most any manifold,not just s-series) you go from the inside to the outside. Kind of a spiral pattern. I didn't have an issue starting at one end and going to the other but that doens't mean someone else also won't have an issue.
man, your testing my OCD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #13
StrnWolf

1995 SL2
1994 SL1

Thank you all very much!

07/2018-PRESENT 1995 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!