SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
SlayZombi
SlayZombi will become famous soon enough

2001 SL
Default Successful ECTS Change!

Man, you guys weren't kidding when you said all of those nylon sensors crack. Mine that I just bought with only 72k miles STILL had a couple cracks with an excessively long one all down the side. Replaced it with an ACDelco brass one from RockAuto along with a new pigtail for replacing the sensor. The temp still hangs around the first tick on the gauge but I'll just chalk that up to lower outside temps and fresh DEXcool coolant.

Last edited by SlayZombi; 11-07-2018 at 05:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Successful ECTS Change!

Connect a reader to display coolant temps to be sure. The faulty coolant sensor often causes an overheating condition - during warm weather, coolant temps will rise and when the faulty coolant sensor can't detect rising temps, overheating occurs as the pcm never turns on the cooling fan. The temperature gauge displays incorrect temps since the coolant sensor failed so gauge readings are displaying incorrect temps. Hotter coolant melts the rubber seals on t-stats so coolant temps run cooler after the replacement coolant sensor sends correct signals. A reader is one way to see actual coolant temps since the pcm drives the temperature gauge from the sensor. If you see less than 185F after a full engine warm-up, replace the t-stat. Another way to tell if the t-stat failed is to select hot from your heater. It should be very hot. Many find out in the middle of winter of t-stat failure when their heaters are luke warm due to a faulty t-stat caused by the coolant sensor failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayZombi View Post
Man, you guys weren't kidding when you said all of those nylon sensors crack. Mine that I just bought with only 72k miles STILL had a couple cracks with an excessively long one all down the side. Replaced it with an ACDelco brass one from RockAuto along with a new pigtail for replacing the sensor. The temp still hangs around the first tick on the gauge but I'll just chalk that up to lower outside temps and fresh DEXcool coolant.

How did you do your wire connections? Should be soldered and shrink tubed to ensure a good signal to the PCM. Crimp connectors are a point of failure.

What condition is your thermostat in? A leaky thermostat will also cause low operating temperatures. Here's how to test it ...

Quote:
Here's how to check if your thermostat is leaking. Starting with a cold engine, start the engine and put your hand on the the lower radiator hose just after the thermostat. If that hose gets warm after a minute or so then your thermostat is leaking. The thermostat should stay closed until the coolant temperature reaches 188-195 degrees Celsius. It takes several minute of run time to reach this temperature.
Let us know what model year and if you're running a DOHC or SOHC. Put your model year and model into your profile and/or signature so it shows in every post.

Here are links to your images that aren't showing up.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10561...Kbm7aT_q5Hd0gE
https://plus.google.com/photos/10561...Kbm7aT_q5Hd0gE

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-07-2018 at 09:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Now you need to change the thermostat. Then your temp will be correct.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
SlayZombi

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Now you need to change the thermostat. Then your temp will be correct.

-Robert
Will be working on that soon. Already have the part but I will change it whenever I have time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
SlayZombi

2001 SL

[QUOTE=trottida;2285711]How did you do your wire connections? Should be soldered and shrink tubed to ensure a good signal to the PCM. Crimp connectors are a point of failure.

What condition is your thermostat in? A leaky thermostat will also cause low operating temperatures. Here's how to test it ...

I did solder on both wires and individually electrical taped them all the way down and finished by electrical taping both together and zip-tying to another set of wires next to the airbox area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!