SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
manualvue
manualvue is on a distinguished road

Dizzy flicking dash lights engine light after driving 30m

I saw a post somewhere where someone stated almost exactly my current problem, except the thread has 12 pages and start date was 2008. Hard to read everything. One thing that is super frustrating is when people post incomplete information about the vehicle they are talking about!! Please state type, year, etc. before posting the problem! I don't want to read a long post about a car with auto transmission if I have a manual.
Anyway, mine is a 2003 VUE, 2.2L, manual, and 4 cyl. This year, I replaced the starter, the catalytic, alternator and last, the transmission. I just can't afford to get another car with unknown issues so I keep patching this 15 yr old! Plus, I really love the interior with no blind spots and the exterior! When the alternator went, my dashboard lights went on and off, steering (which is electric) would fail while driving and car would not accelerate. The alternator replacement seemed to fix this. Except, the first day I drove it, the lights flashed on and off, but did not happen again. I figured the computer was resetting or something? Lights flashing happened again months later while driving over 70. But not always. Now, when driving one night for over 30 minutes or so, the dashboard went crazy blinking, inside lights blinked, check engine lt came on and stayed on. I panicked completely fearing it would stall. Did not seem to lose power but the steering went for a while. After the car was off for about an hour, it started fine, steering fine, check engine lt still on. It does not happen when driving to/from work (less than 30 min drive) but it happened on Halloween after driving over 25 min, check engine lt came on again (i had had it checked and turned off after codes said lost comm with bcm). Drove fine next day and engine lt went off by itself. My mechanic needs to hire a freelance guy who does electric diagnostics and charge $150 just to see where the communication problem is.
If it was a short, why will it happen only when car running over 30 min? if it is a ground issue, again why act up after some time of driving and not right away?
Should I bypass the diagnostics and go straight to buying a bcm to replace current one? Or, could it be something simple? I just want this car to last until I retire next year without too much extra fixing! Help! The guy that worked on the car with the alternator prob. left a couple of things unhooked, (button horn cable and coolant receptacle hose) so I am wondering if they might have left something off after the transmission replacement and I did not know because I drive less than 30 min at a time most days. Only found out after driving to the airport which is more than 30 min drive. I have had the wrench light on for years and the security lt came on over a yr ago. I don't care if they stay on if it does not affect anything else, which seems not to. I am finally going to replace the ignition lock under the recall secretly hoping that it might fix it but know it won't. Go straight to BCM replacement? Why act up after 30 min driving? Thanks, loyal vue people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: flicking dash lights engine light after driving 30m

Don't know if you have sunroof - or perhaps a roof or windshield water leak - but one of my kids recently had the crazy dashboard and interior light problem with 2006 Vue.

We found a very small amount of water in connector C200. This is behind kick panel next to drivers left foot.

You (or mechanic) could get access to the connector - its a simple process to release two parts - and used canned air to dry contacts on both side of connector.

This was a cheap fix for us.

And by the - way we concluded the primary contacts causing trouble were two data-bus wires (CAN high and low) which transport information between BCM and ECM/PCM and IPC (dashboard).

I can email instructions to remove the kick-panel and applicable interconnecting wiring diagrams. PM email address if you'd like to have.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote