SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Northerner
Northerner is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Question '04 2.2L Saturn Vue seems to be revving high (RPMs RPM)

My 2004 Saturn Vue seems to be revving really high only when I shift it into 5th gear (it's a manual).

Like 3000 RPM when I am around 70MPH, which seems really high?

Is this a serious issue?

No check engine lights are on.

Is it a Throttle Position Sensor? Something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Northerner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Northerner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: '04 2.2L Saturn Vue seems to be revving high (RPMs RPM)

That sounds about right... Mine does a little over 3000 rpm when running between 65 - 70.

How long have you owned it?

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

I've owned it about a year. I drive it in winter here in Minnesota,so I drove it through last winter, then parked it over the summer. Now it's time to drive it again.

My 2004 cavalier is my other car, and I drive that in the summer. It is a 2.2 as well, and seems to Rev differently

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Northerner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
04stealthvue
04stealthvue is on a distinguished road

Is it continuously at 3000, or is it revving up to that and then falling back down?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04stealthvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04stealthvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04stealthvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

It stays around 3000 rpm when driving at about 65mph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Yah, thats normal. The automatic transmission is geared a little lower, thats why your other 2.2 vehicle revs a little lower..

I suspect one of the reasons for the higher gearing in the manual vs the auto. the engineers consider people hate to downshift when they're out on the freeway so they chose gearing thats a little higher so you don't need to downshift when you hit that short hill.

I also drive a 4 banger Camry, it cruises at 70 mph at 2300 rpm, but if there is any load at all, i.e. a long overpass, it will downshift.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

It just seems high.

Is there any way I can tweak the RPMs so it revs lower - runs at a lower RPM at that higher speed limit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
waiter21
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 2.2L

Nope.. its all in the gears.. If you want lower rpms while in gear, either upshift or slow down. 3000 - 3500 rpm is ok in 5th.

Someone else asked this question: But I assume the rpms aren't changing while your in gear, i.e. the clutch is slipping..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

No, the RPMs really aren't changing at all while in gear.

I did do something really stupid this Summer - I barely bolted back on one of the front rims after changing out the tires/rims from another Vue I bought, and I actually drove 50 miles or so at a high rate of speed with one of the front rims basically just hanging on with a few loose bolts.

It makes a sort of "rub" sound at slow speeds towards the front end since, but I don't know if that did any damage to any possible sensor in the front end/axle whatever up there to make the RPMs "off", or If I'm just being overly paranoid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
waiter21
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 2.2L

paranoid....

On mine when in 5th, the tach and the speedo point exactly the same/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Thanks.

We'll see how she holds up this Winter...

my Cavalier engine I just had towed to the shop - apparently the engine was junk just now he told me so I'm incredibly bummed right now.

I depend on a vehicle for the work I do now so it's critical I have a well-functioning one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

If I want the RPM to run lower (like, say, 2700 or so) at a higher speed (65-80 mph), how would I do that, if at all?

Is there a way - a part to replace or tweak - to make the car's RPMs to be lower at a higher speed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #13
waiter21
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 2.2L

If you want 2700 at 70 mph, you'll need to replace the transmission... But I suspect you may not like it if you need to constantly downshift while cruising.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
If I want the RPM to run lower (like, say, 2700 or so) at a higher speed (65-80 mph), how would I do that, if at all?

Is there a way - a part to replace or tweak - to make the car's RPMs to be lower at a higher speed?
Yes, trade it for a 04 up V6 VUE. The most cost effective route.

Or replace all the gearing in the transmission to lower gear ratios or swap in an automatic. Which both are expensive routes to save </=500RPMs

For the record every manual I've driven has been the same. Even my '17 Accord 6MT is 3K @ 80MPH.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

If it's longer engine life you are after, higher rpm's can be better since most of the bearings in that engine are designed for hydrodynamic lubrication. Higher RPM's makes for a thicker oil film, more separation between parts in relative motion. Like driving through a puddle at high speed Vs. slow.

Twenty years ago or so an engineer at GM equipped a 3.8 to measure crank bearing clearance while running. He found at low speeds and high loads there was touching.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #16
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

what size are your tires? 215/70/16 will give you 2600rpm at 60mph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote