SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line
Default My 98 SL1 DOHC swap eats wheel bearings

In the 10k km since the drive train swap, my Saturn has gone through 2 sets of front wheel bearings.
Now they are dead yet again.

Last time I replaced the bearing/hub together.

Iv'e been reading about 'bearing arching', and it is something I'd like to rule out.
Where should I ground the chassis to make sure I have my electrical bases covered??

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: My 98 SL1 DOHC swap eats wheel bearings

What do you mean by 'drive train swap'?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

He swapped out the SOHC for a DOHC engine. Hence SL1 DOHC in the title and the notation in his signature. However, there's no relativity to the question asked.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 10-23-2018 at 12:54 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

What are you torquing the axle nut to?
How are you installing the bearings?

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Bearing arcing, huh? That's really grasping at straws!

Get the knuckle bores checked at a machine-shop for size and roundness. Are the bearings being pressed/pulled in properly? If there is any chance the beloved BFH was ever used for bearing R&R the knuckles are suspect.

PS: How long (miles) are the bearings lasting?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
SLfun
Advanced Member

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Bearing arcing, huh? That's really grasping at straws!

Get the knuckle bores checked at a machine-shop for size and roundness. Are the bearings being pressed/pulled in properly? If there is any chance the beloved BFH was ever used for bearing R&R the knuckles are suspect.

PS: How long (miles) are the bearings lasting?
So the current set of wheel bearings lasted around 5000 km.

All these wheel bearing failures started after I pulled the SOHC Automatic for a manual DOHC drivetrain. So there is a chance that the 2 are related?

I found this interesting quote from an automotive engineer:

"In fact, I've seen studies by all world's largest bearing manufacturers, and everyone points to bad grounds as right around the third most-common reason for automotive/light truck wheel bearing failure. The first is installer error, of course. The second is accident/driver inflicted damage, and the third is bad grounds."

So I have ordered re manufactured steering knuckles with new bearings already pressed in. At the same time I will replace the LCR's and tie rod ends. Then get an alignment done.
And of course, add more grounds.
I want to cover all my bases so I don't have to do this again.

If there is anything else anyone else can think of, lemme know!

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
SLfun
Advanced Member

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
What are you torquing the axle nut to?
How are you installing the bearings?

145 lbs on the axle nut.
The bearings were installed with a press.

SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLfun View Post
145 lbs on the axle nut.
The bearings were installed with a press.
It's also recommended to use a new spindle nut and washer, as well torque with wheels off the ground and rotating the wheel a few times while torquing.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
He swapped out the SOHC for a DOHC engine. Hence SL1 DOHC in the title and the notation in his signature. However, there's no relativity to the question asked.
I see now. In addition to incorrect bearing replacement procedures, are there any dimensional differences in the drive train (distances between xmission to wheel hubs) that might create premature wheel bearing wear?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I see now. In addition to incorrect bearing replacement procedures, are there any dimensional differences in the drive train (distances between xmission to wheel hubs) that might create premature wheel bearing wear?
DOHC and SOHC (engine/trans) use the same axles, spindle, tie rods, and LCA's. They are interchangeable.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I have heard of bearing arcing on electric motors connected to a drive. Some of those motors, like the ones I bought at my job, have grounding brushes across them. I can't see this as an issue on a Saturn.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The wheel bearing failures from electrical arcing can be detected with an AM radio the has analog tuning so you can tuen off of a station and listen for a hissing that changes with speed and wheel load. It is incredibly rare in Saturns.

Usual rapid failure in these cars with the usual replacements is improper bearing preloading. The new nut, washer, and torquing while wheel is rotating and terminating torquing if bearing binds is how it should be done,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #13
SLfun
Advanced Member

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Thanks everyone.

So I did the easiest part of the job by installing a ground strap, because it can't hurt anything!

Now I'm just waiting for parts. Can't wait to be able to hear the motor again!
And the radio, and the person talking beside me

SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!