SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
drunk horse
drunk horse is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Intermediate pipe fell off my cat today. Need to know what's next.

Today while driving my '95 SW2, the intermediate pipe broke off from the cat converter. I was able to tie it up and get home. I already have been driving without a muffler for a while, but I do have the muffler in my garage.

Is it reasonable to take these pieces to a reputable welding/muffler shop and ask them to put it all together again? Or am I on the hook for a new pipe and muffler? What about the cat? I have been all over this car over the years but I really know very little about the exhaust system or welding in general.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sightly concerned this may be a death blow as I'm broke and have several other issues that have been also been waiting a while.

Thanks!

1999 SC2 DOHC manual 194,000mi -> Now 220,000
1995 SW2 DOHC automatic 122,000mi -> Now 142,000 -> Now 182,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drunk horse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drunk horse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drunk horse is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 AM   #2
drunk horse

1999 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Intermediate pipe fell off my cat today. Need to know what's next.

Looks like around $180 if I go the Rock Auto route. Would include the exhaust pipe, the muffler and some brackets etc, but not the cat...

Anyone know what kind of repair time for a good mechanic? Worth it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help drunk horse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

The connection between the cat and the intermediate pipe is prone to rusting out. Have a reputable shop weld cut out the flanges and weld the 2 pipes together. The pipes are stainless steel and likely still pretty solid.

As far as the muffler goes, if it is still solid then they can do the same. The muffler strap typically rusts out and the muffler drops. If the contact points of the muffler strap haven't rusted out the it is likely still solid.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk horse View Post
I'm sightly concerned this may be a death blow as I'm broke
I wouldn't mention this except you said you were broke.

I'd found a bit on the internet posted by some guy in Canada. He did an exhaust repair like this, and claims it has held up for several years:

1) Parts list: Stainless steel wool, stainless steel hose clamps (worm type), metal tape (usually found with home air duct supplies), old can (soup can, etc.)

2) Get your exhaust pipes lined up. Pack steel wool around openings and hold tightly in place with metal tape.

3) Cut ends off can, slit in the middle (optionally paint it with high temp paint for rust prevention) and use it to cover the steel wool / tape area

4) hold can in place with clamps, making it tight

The can and clamps are basically a poor-man's band clamp (band clamps look to run about $15~30). The author said the adhesive on the metal tape stinks for a while as it burns off, but after that it is fine

The muffler, you can slip over the exhaust pipe and clamp in place with a cheap U clamp. You will want to wipe down the area of the muffler that the strap will go around, as well as the strap itself, and paint or coat it with high temp paint or something. Otherwise, the area around the strap where it contacts the muffler will start to rust quickly.

These U clamps are about $2 at the auto store

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

the aftermarket non-stainless steel parts only last about two to three years if you live in an area that uses road salt. If you can find an original stainless steel stock system from a junk yard or NOS, I'd spend the extra money and get it. I have put 4 sets of aftermarket complete exhaust systems on my SL2 which we have owned for 18 years. They rust from the inside out. Make sure all your holders and ok, if one is missing it will put extra strain on the existing pipes and they will crack. We bought a new Jeep Cherokee a few years ago ( still drive the SL2 to work ) and I will never purchase an aftermarket exhaust again. The factory stuff lasts 8 to 10 years here in Nova Scotia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
drunk horse

1999 SC2
1995 SW2

a DIY fix is right up my alley, my only problem is that the pipe broke off right at the 8710 flange gasket. so basically I only have one side of pipe to work with.

I'm not against taking it in to get welded I'm just in a tough spot where I have other problems going on and no funds.

I may try to post some pictures, but I definitely don't have the muffler strap anymore and I think something else fell off right before the pipe broke loose, but as far as I can tell all parts on the exhaust diagram are accounted for (some missing, but accounted for).

I will have some more questions, but I need to do some more research after work first.

Thanks so much for the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Hmm, well, again, I wouldn't recommend this, but . . .

Measure how much depth there is at the open end of the cat, and the diameter of the opening. Then measure the exhaust pipe.

Get a cheap adapter ($3~$8) that is the right size at both ends (smaller end of adapter has OD small enough to slide into the cat, cat is deep enough for adapter to slide in, and larger end of adapter has ID wide enough for exhaust to slide into it)

adapters look like this - you need something to prevent metal on metal contact with the adapter and the exhaust parts to prevent galvanic corrosion (hi temp paint or JB weld high temp, $8-10)

Coat the outside of the narrow end, and the inside of the wider end, with JB Weld high temp. It is not an epoxy and won't hold things together, but will help form a seal from exhaust gasses.
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to...d-extremeheat/

Then assemble, like attached pic - this adds maybe a half inch to the length of the assembly.

After assembled, pack more JB Weld Extreme Heat on the seams, as dying of carbon monoxide poisoning is not a good way to save money. Allow to set 24 hours or more.

I don't know if the cat is deep enough to accommodate an adapter - never tried this
Attached Images
File Type: png catalytic conv.png (8.7 KB, 4 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Nice video from the South Main Auto channel (upstate NY) of Eric O. replacing a rusted out exhaust and salvaging the existing cat converter. The video is of a Ford Ranger, but the concepts are similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYkRtsUDLQ&t=1851s

This guy clearly knows road salt and is both skilled and entertaining.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
drunk horse

1999 SC2
1995 SW2

After some thought I believe I'm going to purchase a muffler and take it to all to a shop in hopes that they can hobble everything together for a reasonable fee.

I afforded myself some time by fixing my truck to get to work and I'll just have to use my credit card. It will pay off in gas mileage quick enough.

I found the OE muffler in my garage, but it broke in a way that I don't think is salvageable. Strangely enough the strap is actually still in pretty good condition. It appears the muffler rusted out at it's pipe and then wiggled itself off the holder for the strap (I remember it fell off on a speed bump).

As always, thanks for the great advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!