SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default code 51 rear axle fail (MOTOR FREE SPINS)

code 51 rear axle fail (MOTOR FREE SPINS)

ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT ON ? is this the abs motor issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: code 51 rear axle fail (MOTOR FREE SPINS)

What??? There is no "rear axle" on S-series (just struts and links on each side) and my info shows that 51 is for a "PCM memory failure".

Are you saying that the 4-cylinder engine revs up but the car doesn't move in any gear? Check the axle shafts (driving the front wheels), check the bell-housing for severe trans fluid leakage. Is this a manual trans or auto?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Attached AllData's info. The one that includes 47 & 48 is more of an update/TSB sort of thing while the singular 51 is the full diagnostic info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ABS DTC's 47-48-51.pdf (47.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf ABS DTC 51.pdf (55.3 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, interesting... I checked about 10 other code listings and they all come up with 51 being a PCM memory fault. Is there a chance Alldata is wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

He's trying to figure out how to fix his ABS and thinks making a new thread with less and less info for every new question is the right way to go about it

ABS codes are hard enough to read in the first place that most places online don't even give the full code list for the ABS module. Even AllData doesn't give a dedicated section to ABS codes, you have to pick the code number and then say what system is giving that code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
billr
Master Member

Are you saying there is a separate list of codes for ABS, similar to the separate list for a TAAT? That makes sense, I just wasn't catching on.

I'm still wondering how the OP knows the motor for the rear ABS circuit "spins free", or even what that means. Is the ABS opened up now? I would expect a motor armature to spin (relatively) free in most cases, that seems normal. Or is the OP powering up the ABS with ports blocked and trying to see if it builds/modulates pressure in some manner?

Regardless, I should bow-out. I have no use for or interest in ABS. I got sucked into this thread because I thought it was about the engine/trans/axles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #7
Packard

1995 SL1

Today I decided to just rip it out .cause last I did some digging on google and most ppl with this issue turn out to be abs . So I went and got it out today . Going to bleed tommorow
THE MIDDLE GEAR NUT WAS ABOUT TO FALLL off and it was free spinning just like I thought .

Last edited by Packard; 10-24-2018 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: pics wont appear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #8
Packard

1995 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 AM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Are you saying there is a separate list of codes for ABS, similar to the separate list for a TAAT? That makes sense, I just wasn't catching on.
ABS, Emissions (PCM/CEL), Air Bag & Transmission all have "a" code 51. Alldata doesn't list them for 1st gen by system, just by number so that's 4 totally different 'code 51' that could be looked up separately and each one is technically correct without the info that the OP is working on the ABS system.

ABS code 51 is for low amperage. With computers 'low' includes 0v up to a certain percentage under whatever the correct voltage is (usually 5%, some might go as high as 15%) so a motor that free spins would have 0 voltage and therefore 0 amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg code 51 options.JPG (23.2 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Packard

1995 SL1

Now I know there is a method to bleed them with the harness . I read the the gears have to be counter clockwise but not certain if that means to just let them be sitting the entire way at 100 percent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!