SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
JayRudy
JayRudy is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default Remove headlight switch without removing multifunction?

2001 SW2

Problem: High beams come on by themselves.

I have read about leakage to ground in the high beam switch causing this.

It appears that I can get the headlight switch off the multi-function assembly by removing three Philips screws.

Has anyone tried this. If I try this, will loose parts fall out?

I am an Electronics tech by profession and have been there, done that!

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JayRudy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JayRudy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JayRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Remove headlight switch without removing multifunction?

My fading memory says no.
But, watch this richpin video and then see how it's done.
If you are serious that the trouble is right there in the multifunction switch, then I would just go ahead and replace the entire thing as you will most likely have other issues with the switch down the road. Besides, you are already deep into the area and just do it completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz3UIzmK7T8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

I did it once, but on an earlier year. Take a peek at the pictures in the last post of this thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=high+beam

PS: the switch is still working fine after I cleaned the contacts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
JayRudy

2001 SW2

Thank you for responding - I am encouraged.

I'll give an update later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JayRudy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:53 AM   #5
JayRudy

2001 SW2
Default Re: How to remove headlight switch without removing multifunction ass'y

Thanks to billr.

With the right tools the headlight switch came right out. To remove screws 1 and 2, I used a screwdriver with a thin eight-inch shaft, the end of which I had previously modified to what I call a half Philips tip; handy for removing Philips screws from an angle. I inserted it from behind the dash, and along side the column, while kneeling on the ground. Screw #3 came out with the use of a short Philips hex bit and pliers to get it started.

In the side view photo, you can see the [heavier] pink wire (high beam gound side) than I had removed form the plug while troubleshooting.

The switch had a lot of burned grease in it, as seen in billr's photos [see above link]. Cleaned and lubed - all better now.

While I had the covers off, I resoldered the rear wiper wire, which had broken free.

Photos, L to R, From above, from below, side view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TopView.jpg (91.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg BottomView.jpg (71.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SideView.jpg (51.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by JayRudy; 10-24-2018 at 04:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ Great job, I stand corrected. Glad you fixed it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

It's good to know that the parts/procedure are pretty much the same from my gen1 through your gen3; I hope we can assume the gen2 is the same. Did you find that two of the screws are fairly easy to get to, but the third is kind of a pain? I think I replaced that hard-to-reach one with a socket-head screw when I re-assembled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
JayRudy

2001 SW2

Yes, the upper screw on the radio side, #1 in the middle photo, was the hardest to get the screwdriver on because of a metal yoke behind it. That screw is probably the one you replaced with a hex-head screw. It could then be tightened with an ignition wrench. The other top screw is less than three inches from the dash, requiring the use of the 2-1/2 inch hex-shaft Philips bit.

Hmm, just thinking . . . the lonely Ignition Wrench. No more intended use in modern cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!