SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
Chresq15
Chresq15 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
2001 SL1
Default Engine swap question

I have a 97 sl1 and the engine went out 317,000+ miles and I have a 93 sl2 engine an i want to know if I can swap in the 93 and what I need to do in order to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chresq15's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chresq15 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chresq15 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Engine swap question

Manual or Automatic?
I do not think it matters too much, but you will need a correct PCM otherwise it will not run quite right, I believe it will run lean but do not quote me.
If the engine assembly is complete (including alternator, P/S, Water Pump, A/C, and entire serp belt system) you will need to remove the old engine, put the new in, connect all of the hoses and wires. Since they are both MPFI, I do not think you need to replace the fuel system, may need some work getting the rails to fit, however I believe they are both return systems so that will not be an issue regaurding the fuel pump and delivery to the engine bay. But I am not sure about the rail setup and whether or not you can use the SOHC rail. I think the wiring harness will be ok, but you may have to watch if you have a manual steering rack and want to add in power. If its power already, I am not sure if the Sl1's had the variable assist power steering or not. But, if as long as it does not throw a code, it will be fine. Your trans will not have the proper gear ratios, so if you do put in the correct DOHC PCM, you will lose cruise control.
Somebody else can verify my words here, and give their opinions. But as far as I know, that should be about it. The rest should bolt up.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

I know almost knowthing about swapping between years so I won't say much but I do know you might have a problem with the EGR. 93 used a vacuum EGR while 97 uses an electric EGR. Someone else can chime in on the specifics of that though.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Yes, Zeebins is 100% right there. But, there is a member that does sell "reverse" adapters, and may also have "standard" ones too. The "reverse" attaches a vacuum EGR to a later electronic EGR head. But, the "standard" ones attach an electronic EGR to a vacuum head. I know that all 1994's with the Cali emissions also had the "standard" one, as my spare engine has it but I do not want to part with the piece.
The member is colonelhogan44 and he still has them listed in his signature. $40.00 for a standard adapter, which you would need.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

I don't think the DOHC exhaust manifold will line up properly with the SOHC exhaust down pipe.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #6
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Don't believe the fuel rails will work.

I think you would be best swapping heads too...

That is, use the 93 block with the 97 head.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Change the oil pressure and knock sensors to the '97 style.
If the '97 was built after 12/97 you'll have to use the '97 alternator OR change the plug to the '93 style.
You'll need someone to weld the '93 downpipe to the '97 cat/cat-back, the way they attach changes in '96 with the OBD1->OBD2 change. You can't use the SOHC exhaust manifold & downpipe with the DOHC.
Leave the ECTS's in place, only use the bottom one in the '97.
EGR changes too, either get the adapter (HERE) or use the vac EGR gasket to mark where the new mounting holes need to be on the electronic EGR and drill 'em out.
PCM doesn't care about variable power steering enough to throw a code if it doesn't have it.

2 potential gotcha's: Automatic's suck to swap to a different year one and on top of that..the SOHC automatic won't shift with the DOHC PCM. You'll have to swap the automatic as well, it should be okay with the '93 transmission but they're 100% electronically controlled and sometimes the year to year changes are too much. Manual transmissions don't matter other than for Cruise Control, using the wrong one just means you won't make optimal MPG and won't have CC.
The SOHC PCM will, generally, run the DOHC okay as long as you don't rev it too high. You can't use the '93 PCM with the '97 harness so you'll have to locate a '97 DOHC PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote