SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Bosch Wiper Motor much louder than Stock unit

We got two 2000 S Series SL2s. One has a labeled Saturn Wiper Motor, the other a Bosch but the Bosch one was made in Aug of 2000 so I suspect it was in the car from new. The issue is the difference in noise. The Bosch one is much louder in the car than the Saturn one. An acquaintance who has owned six S series told me most of them were loud and not to worry about it. Should I be concerned ? It has worked fine for 5 years ? or is it on it's last legs ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bosch Wiper Motor much louder than Stock unit

I can't answer your question directly but can share one story about Bosch dc motors.

I had a Mercury Sable wagon, 3.0L V6 automatic before buying my Saturn L300. The rear wiper was erratic and stopped so I decided to try repairs. Once removed, it was a Bosch wiper motor. It was clean and lubed when the gear case was opened. Other than some corrosion around the exterior shaft, my guess was a possible micro switch or wiring damage. Nothing was found broken and as soon as I applied power to the correct terminals the motor took off as if nothing was wrong. Suspicious of this, I reluctantly put it back and it never failed to run. Possibly never parked the last time it was used or the previous owner forced the wiper out of home position? For whatever reason, simply disassembling and doing almost nothing but move grease around and reassembling it made it run. I didn't repair anything. This rear wiper motor did make a low gear whine but not noisy enough to be distracting in rain. It worked flawlessly. As a rear wiper, it saw less use compared to front wipers so once it went back to normal operation I felt it would last the life of the wagon and if necessary, removed to replace a worn one.

Your choice to replace it or roll the dice and replace it when it fails, if it fails. I had the luxury of removing the rear wiper that wasn't absolutely needed and able to disassemble it to see actual operating hardware before feeling comfortable with it able to run forever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Re: Bosch Wiper Motor much louder than Stock unit

thanks, Bosch is noted to have decent products. At least I know how to take it apart now, next should go half the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote