SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
OlHillbilly
OlHillbilly will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
Default Low Transmission Fluid..

How on earth does a car run and shift fine being almost 2 quarts low on transmission fluid? I've never seen any sign of a leak from it, but it took almost that much to get it up to the full line on the stick. Normal procedure for checking it, motor hot, level, idling in park. Book says 4 quarts, maybe a little bit more, took a good 5 quarts to fill it after I changed it last time.
It has developed a growling noise from the drive line (sounds like 40" mud tires) that I can't find, so checked the fluid to see if anything was off there, and it apparently was. Don't know if the low fluid took a bearing out around the differential or what. Noise is definitely wheel speed and isn't a wheel bearing (replaced both of them and the right side CV axle last summer). Jacked both sides up and spun the wheels, perfectly quiet.
Any ideas on what else bearing wise could be bad?

2002 SL1
1997 SL.. Killed by a texting driver
1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
Coupla motorcycles and an assortment of bicycles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OlHillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OlHillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OlHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Re: Low Transmission Fluid..

For a small transmission only designed to support up to 124hp, maybe being down 2 quarts has a nill short term effect. On your noise, I had a noise like you described and it was a combo of my rear suspension being out of alignment after I replaced by rear trailing arms. It scuffed my rear tires ( feathered ) them. I was told if those trailing arms rubber grommets are worn it will do the same thing. My trailer arms lasted 16 years and 400,000 km. Inspect your rear tires and see what they look like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
OlHillbilly

2002 SL1

Rear tires are good. Jacked the rear wheels up looking for wheel bearing or something out, tires are wearing even and spinning smoothly. Car has 130k miles on it.
My problem is in the front drive line somewhere. Wheel speed and isn't affected by turning one way or the other. No sound at slow speeds (windows down, head out listening), 15-20 mph it's starts becoming audible on the inside of the car.

2002 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OlHillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

ok, couple of things. Does the noise go away if you shift into neutral at 50 mph going down hill ? Maybe jack the car up with all wheels off the ground, put in on good quality jack stands. Start the car up and put it in gear and get the wheels free spinning. With a friend in the car on the throttle, you go to each wheel and see if you can isolate the noise. Maybe even take the wheels off. This test does not have the weight of the car on the suspension and wheel bearing which may not help but if there is issue inside the transmission you may hear the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #5
OlHillbilly

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveinot View Post
ok, couple of things. Does the noise go away if you shift into neutral at 50 mph going down hill ? Maybe jack the car up with all wheels off the ground, put in on good quality jack stands. Start the car up and put it in gear and get the wheels free spinning. With a friend in the car on the throttle, you go to each wheel and see if you can isolate the noise. Maybe even take the wheels off. This test does not have the weight of the car on the suspension and wheel bearing which may not help but if there is issue inside the transmission you may hear the noise.
I'll try the neutral down a hill thing. What would it indicate if the noise goes away?
I've been driving it, nothing has changed in 400 miles. Friend from work has a lift at his house, am waiting for him to get his truck finished and off of it and I'll get the Saturn in the air and see if I can find something there.

2002 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
gveinot

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

by shifting into neutral you remove parts of the transmission from the drivetrain, hence if the noise disappears, you know for certain the noise is coming from the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveinot View Post
by shifting into neutral you remove parts of the transmission from the drivetrain, hence if the noise disappears, you know for certain the noise is coming from the transmission.
Thanks for that tip! I'm gonna try this to isolate the noise I'm having (although transmission fluid is clean and at the full mark)

1999 Saturn SL2
Purchased: Oct 2018
Mileage: 126000

2008 Honda Accord EX-L
Purchased: Mar 2018
Mileage: 153500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpags729's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpags729 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote