SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2
Question E Brake button flew out

the woman goes to put the E brake on, and instead of pushing the button in and pulling the handle, she yanks up on it. apparently, according to her, the button flew out of the handle by itself. she found it, and stuck it back in, but now theres no spring behind it, and you cant put the brake on. it wont lock by itself.

is there a fix to this? has it happened before, or is this some weird thing that only happens to her? will this be another junkyard run for a complete e brake handle?

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty
95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: E Brake button flew out

Yea just glue it back in. The spring on the button really serves no purpose and the spring action comes from the movement of the plastic push assembly. We used to think you had to change the assembly (richpin even did a video on it) until we realized this wasnít necessary. Just Home Depot glue.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, I'm sure it has happened before, to Saturns and other similar lever brakes, but not terribly common. You are going to need the spring, so your choice about guessing what it should be (not all that hard to do) and getting one at local hardware store, or just replacing the whole lever assy.

PS: If the lever can come up far enough for that button and spring to pop out, the brake adjustment is way off. That adjustment should be automatic, so something is wrong with the brakes/cable/etc. Find that root cause as well as fixing the lever. I'm assuming this lever was pulled by a "normal" woman, not an ex-Soviet steroid-laden Olympian.

Oh, and another PS: There is no need to push the button when pulling the brake on, the button is only needed to release the lever. What did you mean at the beginning by this? "goes to put the E brake on, and instead of pushing the button in and pulling the handle"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Itís actually a pretty common issue on saturns. Itís caused when the little tabs that hold the button against the spring start to bend. Brake adjustment should be fine. But you can just glue the button back on the white plastic lever and it will work good for a decade.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

OK, I'll have to go peek at one of mine. It seems like a pretty simple and reliable device, hard to imagine how it would fail in normal use...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

If u lost the spring the button is held in with a spring I had to replace mine a while back been good for 3yrs now I just bought
new since this is brake that holds the car I wanted a reliable brake .https://youtu.be/cCbsYlUoZE4

Search for Saturn S Sl Sw Series 1995 Emergency Hand Brake Button on ebay or look it up on gmonline that handle Im sure can be had for alot less . Its amazing how they can charge 18 bucks for this plastic still worth it when it comes to either not being able to park your car on hill its a major headace so the 20 bucks is more then worth the safety.

Last edited by Packard; 10-21-2018 at 05:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
If u lost the spring the button is held in with a spring I had to replace mine a while back been good for 3yrs nowhttps://youtu.be/cCbsYlUoZE4

Yea but we later discovered it was unnecessary to replace. Just glue the button to the plastic lever. You canít tell the difference. Did mine 5 years ago.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Mine was not able to hold the sping no more the button was too bad so i need one . Was scary i dont know how to macgyver so i had to buy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

button flying out is very common

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142078

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

No mater how mangled up the button is if you weld it to the plastic lever its not going anywhere. Only regret I have with mine is that I welded the button upside down. Works fine but irritates me.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

Ok, so how do I take the lever apart. Is it just that one screw? I have a feeling the spring flew out too, because she put the button back in, but there's no spring behind it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Yep easy. Just remove the screw and pull the sheath off. Yes the spring is probably under a seat somewhere.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #13
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Put the spring on then button. Drill a small hole through both tabs and the white mounty thingy. Loop a paper clip through it and call it a day. 3-4 years on mine. Think that's the link above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #14
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

I responded to an old tgread liked below...lol

I used a hair pin instead of paper clip

Last edited by 1996SW2; 10-24-2018 at 12:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:55 AM   #15
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Third time is a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoPictureResizer_181023_215116659-1328x747.jpg (47.7 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

hopefully ill get around to it soon. i told her to just park on level ground until then. not being my driver anymore puts it on the back burner in terms of repairs. im sure ill need a spring for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #17
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

fixed it. even found the spring in 2 seconds of looking. wouldve fixed it faster if i knew the spring actually rests on the metal handle, not the plastic one. lets see how long it lasts now. i didnt have to glue anything, but i see where it can be glued.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!