SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
BlueArmz
BlueArmz is on a distinguished road

Default Power steering whine

Just asking for a general consensus. I have owned an SL2 for a couple months and noticed that the pump is a little whiny between 1.5-2.5 RPM. I heard this on youtube videos on other SL's. No noise when turning the wheel and steering is fine. Is this just something we Saturn owners get used to and leave alone? Would a JY pull pump do the same thing?

FYI, I've already isolated the noise the the PS pump. New belt, Alternator, idler and tensioner pulley. (No whine when ran without belt)

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueArmz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueArmz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlueArmz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Power steering whine

A PS pump whine is not "normal" for an S-series, if that is what you are asking. However, I would ignore it if the PS works OK and there is no fluid leaking. The JY stuff is always a gamble, you may get a better one or you may get a worse one.

I gotta say... it isn't clear to me that you really have isolated this to the PS pump. Eliminating the whine by removing the belt sure indicates that something belt-driven is the cause; but replacement alternators/idlers/etc are sometimes bad them self (especially if you are shopping at a JY!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
BlueArmz

Thanks for the reply. The alternator and pulleys are new, not junkyard, so ruling them out. It is definitely coming from the pump. I learned that mine has the EVO sensor on it for the variable speed control. The remans that they sell on rock auto and auto parts stores donít come with the sensor or a place to mount the old one, though they say its variable speed control. Donít have much of a choice except a junkyard one. Iíll prob get a cheap low miles eBay one and try it. I heard that installing a pump without the sensor plugged in makes the steering rack run full assist all the time and makes steering feel bad.

Anyways...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlueArmz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Only time a whine is expected and normal is if you buy an aftermarket pump. If you stick with junk yard pumps you should never get a whine.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
BlueArmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Only time a whine is expected and normal is if you buy an aftermarket pump. If you stick with junk yard pumps you should never get a whine.

-Robert
Sounds like youíve been through this already.. thanks for the info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Mine has run a lot quieter since I purged the old dino PS fluid (Dexron III) for synthetic (Transynd). Buying a quart and running 4-5 reservoir refills over a few months might quiet it down, and it will likely be better for the pump, IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
BlueArmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
Mine has run a lot quieter since I purged the old dino PS fluid (Dexron III) for synthetic (Transynd). Buying a quart and running 4-5 reservoir refills over a few months might quiet it down, and it will likely be better for the pump, IMHO.
My goal is to just find a low mileage pump that has no noise issues. I find that fluids and additives are mostly placebo. A good pump should be quiet using factory spec fluid. Which is my experience with any other car Iíve owned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I'd just flush the fluid and refill with dexIII.

Highmile
'95 SL1 670k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
BlueArmz

So is most everyone putting ATF in? How would this have an effect in noise levels? Doesnít the owner manual call for just plain old power steering fluid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

I've only had my '94 for 24 yrs. and 220,000 miles. During that time it has never whined, leaked, or had any problems; so I have never even checked the PS fluid. If I ever need to add, I will probably use Dex3. Same for the '95 with 260,000 miles, but I have only had it for 17 years...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
BlueArmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I've only had my '94 for 24 yrs. and 220,000 miles. During that time it has never whined, leaked, or had any problems; so I have never even checked the PS fluid. If I ever need to add, I will probably use Dex3. Same for the '95 with 260,000 miles, but I have only had it for 17 years...
Thatís awesome your getting so many miles out of them. Mine has 167,000 on it and hope to keep it going a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
billr
Master Member

Off-topic, but the clutch on the '94 is original, and we taught all three sons to drive with that car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #13
BlueArmz

So, I installed a junkyard pump today. Unfortunately this one is louder than the old one. Was really loud until I got the air out but still louder than the old one. . Was a pain of a job so not happy with the outcome. Iím now wondering if I should have just got a new/reman one that doesnít have an EVO sensor. I actually unplugged it and drove around and cannot feel a difference.

What do you guys think? It is just very annoying to have a whine that gets higher pitch as I accelerate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

My power steering pump was whining too...

I removed the fluid, and refilled with fresh Dexron III, ran it about 100 miles, then did it again...

Whine is gone, but the fluid is getting nasty again.
I may plumb in a filter on the return line.

https://derale.com/products/filtrati...s/13005-detail

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #15
BlueArmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
My power steering pump was whining too...

I removed the fluid, and refilled with fresh Dexron III, ran it about 100 miles, then did it again...

Whine is gone, but the fluid is getting nasty again.
I may plumb in a filter on the return line.

https://derale.com/products/filtrati...s/13005-detail
Glad that helped your whine. Mine has all new fluid too, PS fluid though. I guess you never know what you get from the junkyard. The JY pump doesnít seem to have any leaks or anything. Just a little more whiny than the one I took off. I guess the bearings are going bad in both. Hoses donít seem to be leaking. Iím not sure a bad hose would cause noise though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

You can get a new pump and transfer the EVO to it. The reman units are hit or miss. The OE pump is available but pricey. I replaced mine with the OE that I found a deal on at Amazon at the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
BlueArmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
You can get a new pump and transfer the EVO to it. The reman units are hit or miss. The OE pump is available but pricey. I replaced mine with the OE that I found a deal on at Amazon at the time.
I saw the ones with EVO on amazon. I couldnít feel any difference when I unhooked my connector as a test, so Iíd prob go with the lower price one. Did you replace yours cause it was noisy or leaking? Mine is noisy when accelerating and reving the engine. Not when turning as to why I think bearings are bad in it. It works, just irritating. Everyone talks about dex 3 being the choice fluid, I might put some in as a last ditch effort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #18
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Mine was leaking slightly and I questioned the bearing longevity when checking the pulley for play. So I decided to replace the unit rather than just the seal since I don't like to revisit a repair.

The units are not really more since they don't come with the EVO attached. You get the NV7 pump and transfer the EVO from the current pump. Takes a 30mm socket IIRC.

To know if the Dexron III will help, find the spec sheet online for the fluid you used and compare the viscosity. I use Mobil 1 multi-vehicle transmission fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
BlueArmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Mine was leaking slightly and I questioned the bearing longevity when checking the pulley for play. So I decided to replace the unit rather than just the seal since I don't like to revisit a repair.

The units are not really more since they don't come with the EVO attached. You get the NV7 pump and transfer the EVO from the current pump. Takes a 30mm socket IIRC.

To know if the Dexron III will help, find the spec sheet online for the fluid you used and compare the viscosity. I use Mobil 1 multi-vehicle transmission fluid.
How do you attach the EVO to the pump if it doesnít have threaded hole to put it in? The NV7s with variable speed have 2 holes, one for high pressure and one for the returns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
Cheyne

2000 SL2

One hole for pressure and one for EVO. The return hose fits a nipple on the reservoir.

RA has a reman AC Delco with the EVO included if you don't want the aggravation of swapping it. I personally wouldn't bother with a reman with reservoir included where they painted it. otherwise I'd swap reservoirs.

IF I went reman I would just get the pump if available and swap EVO and reservoir. I'd do it however where a return was easy and had a long warranty.

I just prefer new to reman if there's a choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!